Modern Warfare 3 Forum

I heard that the devs are working on a fix... But HOW can they fix this!?!? Hackers can rewrite a new code to do it!

Can anyone here shed some (legitamate) light?

SniperRed1
13 REPLIES 13

SniperRed wrote:

Can anyone here shed some (legitamate) light?

Yes, they arent working on it, they are doing nothin as normal. Thats my legit info xD

silentshotnl1
in reply to silentshotnl1

Sh*tblock said they are working on it... I'm just asking how are they gonna make a perma-fix

SniperRed1

They can't. Simple as that.

luigifan

Yet again you guys are wrong. Please only post things you know to be factual. I'm not trying to sound like an @$$ but opinions spread paranoia that the hackers feed off of. This is indeed fixable and I myself have explained on about a dozen threads now. There are two ways that this can be solved for good. The easiest one is this: There are ranges in the RAM (i.e. what codes are made from) that can't be searched even with a USB gecko. Moving login info into the mem2 range will permanently stop account hopping. Adding a checksum on the server is another way. Basically they link login info to the MAC address of your Wii. If that login info tries connecting to the server from a different MAC address (which are machine specific) then a conection is not allowed. These are two very feasible ways of stopping this.

Np4uNoahC92
in reply to Np4uNoahC92

But the hacking in general can't be stopped. Also note that we're talking about Activision here, if there's no profit, they probably won't do a thing. I'm starting to think too that there's more qualified people here than on the Wii dev team (I could be completely wrong too).

luigifan

No, the hacking itself can't be stopped but the profile hopping can. I completely agree with the Activision comment but not so much on the Wii dev team. I don't think it's their lack of effort as much as the fact that anything they change has to be pushed through Activision.

Np4uNoahC92
in reply to Np4uNoahC92

Through Activision and Nintendo. As sad as it is, Nintendo is very strict about patches (who knows why...) and validation of them. I guess you could make a point about the dev team, but it would all come down to knowing how long Nintendo actually takes to let a patch go through. If it's little time, it's the devs' fault; if it's a long time, it's Nintendo's fault. We can just hope that everything is fixed with the WiiU.

luigifan
in reply to Np4uNoahC92

Noah has some been the most sound logic I have seen through these discussions and has made the best points. I, too, have thought of the checksum solution, however, because the code runs in the RAM on the box, they can simply *forge* the checksum values once they figure out the formula through enough permutations.

CyberSnsei

They can't permanently fix this.  Treyarch can try to reformat how profiles are done though and that can help account hopping.  But hacking is something they won't be able to address. They can change the code, possibly make it really, really hard to ever hack but if a hacker has enough time and persistance, they can find a way around the fix, and just keep right on going.

The problem started in 2007 when the twilight hack was found.  It was doomed from that point on because Nintendo didn't build in enough security controls (i.e. banning consoles, mandetory updates, etc...).  I'm sorry, but this is really nintendo's doing.

SysEng123

Studios