Why punish players with good internet...

Modern Warfare 3 Forum

I think this lag comp crap needs to go, I cant help it if people are to cheap not to up grade from dail up. So throw the lag comp out the door and if some people cant afford 30-50 bucks a month for Internet, maybe they should get a real job or just deal with the lag from them crappy Internet.

SteadyCampin
80 REPLIES 80

This game doesn't just penalize people with high speed connections. It penalizes middle of the road connections and even some slow connections as well, believe it or not. There are also some people with fast connections that are pretty much unaffected by lag comp. It's kind of random.

cobain87

completely disagree with that. Slower connections benefit way more. When im host, i die before i see people, when im not, i do a lot better

jewz

and you know this because you have played on a slow connection before?

Via_Satellite

jewz wrote:

completely disagree with that. Slower connections benefit way more. When im host, i die before i see people, when im not, i do a lot better

Dude, trust me. I have a 3 meg connection and I'm ALWAYS a second behind. You'd think I'd be running around out there with god mode, but it's just not the case. I did get it once or twice though, I was pretty much un-killable. Which was also the most unsatisfying experience I've ever had. Shooting people who are looking right at me, but haven't seen me yet. Yeah, that's fun.

But like I said, the other 99% of the time I'm insanely behind. When I'm running, the theatre shows me being about 3 steps behind where I actually was on my screen. I played back the videos side by side, lined them up to the tick of the game clock like in capp's video. It's like that every match. So I can assure you, there are exceptions.

My connection quality is fine. 1% packet loss to a server 3,000 miles away. 2% Jitter. This is the only game where I'm completely out of sync with what's actually going on in-game.

cobain87

cobain87 wrote:

My connection quality is fine. 1% packet loss to a server 3,000 miles away. 2% Jitter. This is the only game where I'm completely out of sync with what's actually going on in-game.

Actually, your connection is far from fine.  Anything over 0% packet loss is cause for concern for your connection when it comes to online gaming.  I just pinged a server 7,500 miles away, 0% packet loss.  Here's a quote from pingtest.net -

"Packet loss is the pecentage of data "packets" sent to a server that never arrive.  Anything above 0% should cause concern since it could result in poor quality VoIP and stuttering in online games."

Check the following link - http://pingtest.net/learn.php#components

According to that page, you fall in the C or below category for network quality (since you have packet loss at all), and they describe it as follows -

"Your VoIP quality will suffer some, and you will have a disadvantage in many online games."

Call_Of_Weezy

Call Of Weezy wrote:

cobain87 wrote:

Actually, your connection is far from fine.  Anything over 0% packet loss is cause for concern for your connection when it comes to online gaming.  I just pinged a server 7,500 miles away, 0% packet loss.  Here's a quote from pingtest.net -

"Packet loss is the pecentage of data "packets" sent to a server that never arrive.  Anything above 0% should cause concern since it could result in poor quality VoIP and stuttering in online games."

Check the following link - http://pingtest.net/learn.php#components

According to that page, you fall in the C or below category for network quality (since you have packet loss at all), and they describe it as follows -

"Your VoIP quality will suffer some, and you will have a disadvantage in many online games."

Actually it's fine. I thought I had 1% loss but it's been a while since I've tested.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/58427995.png>

That's from VA to LA. I would hope that I'm not thrown into lobbies with people all the way across the country, but even I am, that should still be sufficient.

There is no reason I should be a second behind every game.

cobain87

Gotcha.  When you originally said you had 1% packet loss, alarm bells went off for me.  ANY packet loss is immediate cause for concern.  My only advice is when searching for a game, if it goes above 50ms ping, back out and try again.  Getting into games below 50ms works well for myself to avoid most of the WTF moments.

Call_Of_Weezy

I can assure you this will be the last COD game I ever buy.  How fun is it to play against people using either a ump, acr, or dual fmgs that kill you before you even see them.  Then you get revenge spawned right beside them, shoot the guy, then have him turn adound and kill you because he gets an extra second due to the lag compensator. 

Its so nice that they are helping out all the people with slow connections and boosting them.

Its also amazing that they turned a fun tatical game into one where the only way to play is to hide in a corner and squeek out a couple of kills, or run around in a circle spraying at everything.  Of course the latter only works if you have a slow internet connection.  Thanks so much for the fun game IW.  I hope the boosters and laggers support you well in the future.

mevans_49

Lag comp has been in every Call of Duty. They just turned it up in Black Ops and even more in MW3 to try to even the playing field. It you remove it it will be about 10 times worse. All they need to do is tone it back down to like it was in MW2.

Rednecksniper39

Studios