Why you're lagging more in Modern Warfare 3 than any other Call of Duty (Warning: Wall of Text!)

Modern Warfare 3 Forum

Certainly it is the most inconsistant of all the cod titles, yesterday i had 3 and a half hours of good solid play in one lobby with barely any lag, this has never happened before and i have the game since release day, today its back to its old self, 1 or 2 good games out of 10.

I guess yesterday was my turn out of the millions of people who bought the game to have a good connection...lol

You can't cure stupid, but you can sedate it.
Blood, Sweat and Beers.
gambit1969 Level 72

Take a look at the other thread I made a while back, the link is listed above. Contrary to popular belief it's not just your connection that determines how much you lag. To have a solid game everyone has to actively participate in providing a good connection

Ghamorra Level 75

Poor thread Ghamorra. Global internet speeds are on an incline

Your figure for change in speed is mis-quoted, it is for quarter on quarter for 2011, not as you stated year-on-year. The year-on-year global internet speed has increased by 19%, yet suffered a 14% decline on the previous quarter for reasons unknown at present. The USA's speed has grown 14% YoY, declined 5.3% QoQ. source http://www.techcover.ro/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/akamai-state-of-the-internet-Q4-2011.pdf

These figures only cover the first two months of MW3's existence so may not be indicative of the lag issue.

si1803

@si1: I just downloaded and read that article "State of the Internet"

Thank you, that was a really good read

BanHaMMer2

si1803 wrote:

Poor thread Ghamorra. Global internet speeds are on an incline

Your figure for change in speed is mis-quoted, it is for quarter on quarter for 2011, not as you stated year-on-year

Where did I state YoY. I think I made it very clear that I was talking about Quart on Quarter change for 2011. I got my facts from the same place you did. Lag issues started in Q4 which makes this thread very relavent. Why would any other quarter matter, I'm talking about why MW3 lags more than other Call of Duties and MW3 came out in Q4

Ghamorra Level 75

'Where did I state YoY' - opening statement "The average internet speed globally has declined over the past year by 14%." This is the QoQ figure, the YoY figure is an increase of 19%. Lag issues started with MW3, Black Ops was running better than it ever was in Q4 where it still had a month before MW3 came out.

Some of the other statements you make are also not based on any facts.

'Bandwidth allocated to each customer is becoming tighter and tighter' there has been an increase in speed YoY (and so also Q4 2010 to Q4 2011) meaning this wouldn't be the case.

"What this means is that MW3's higher demanding needs are being met with lower connection speeds." it doesn't mean this at all, as already stated the speeds have increased YoY. Higher demanding needs than what, MW2, BO's?

si1803

Yeah, I am lagging a lot in Modern Warfare 3. I am glad to know why now. Good intel thread.

RaGe_x_Saint

Does anyone know what the optimal download/upload/ping/packet loss for playing? I'm curious to know what the minimal internet speeds would have to be in order for there to be no problems with anyone playing.

mike030270

I dont think there really is an optimal, it seems to be pot luck if you get a good run of games or not, i have a 130mb line with a 5ms ping, zero packet loss and zero jitter and still have problems

You can't cure stupid, but you can sedate it.
Blood, Sweat and Beers.
gambit1969 Level 72

I wonder if everyone had the same speed, would it make online better. Even if it was all low like 5 down and 5 up. Or does it have to be that everyone has to have a decent speed for the collective average to play, like if everyone had over 5 down and 5 up, would it make online better. Does the mininum speed in the average need to be higher?

mike030270

Studios