cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Spider-Man: The Core Gameplay

Spider-Man

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned a sort of "notoriety" system that can be implemented into the next game where, similar to the comics and movies, spidey appears to the public as a menace/threat. Cops will actually try to arrest spidey if they see him which could add a new sense of realism to the games and would also give more of a reason to play as Peter Parker. The activities/quests you'd have as Peter would involve the player trying to "boost" spidey's reputation amongst the people of New York in addition to the photo-op missions I mentioned in an earlier post. The other perk of having a "notoriety" system is that with police actively searching for spidey, players would have to "quick-change" into Peter in order to elude the cops that are in hot pursuit (the cop chase scene in The Amazing Spiderman movie is a good example).

TheNewSuperHero

Yeah. I agree

Spidergamer2012

I have an idea for a spiderman game and I'm not sure how well it would work. Not that I have the resources or influence to make it happen. It could be just about the most awesome thing ever, or just fail miserably. Ok here's the concept I'll start with basic game mechanics. It would be first person, again not sure if this would work, think mirrors edge with super powers. It would be in an open world environment, you would have all of Spidermans powers (eventually). The world would include manhattan and various other parts of the city such as queens. Basically the game would follow the first year of Peter Parkers life as Spiderman. You would begin before your powers were gained, the day you get bitten. You would live Spidermans origin story. You wake up late and have to rush to school. You arrive just in time to be bullied by Flash a bit before classes begin. Then you realize that you have your feild trip today. You forgot to pack a lunch. During the trip you're bitten by the spider. You go home feeling ill and fall asleep. When you wake up again though you technically have your powers you haven't learned that yet. The game spends a "Day" making you realize what they are and how you can use them. I'm not going to write an entire play by play of the story but it's the same basic tale. Uncle Ben dies, you choose to become spiderman. You build webshooters and "design" your costume. Now here's where it gets interesting. I can see the game from this point going one of two ways. One, the people developing the game have writers come up with a different story for each day of the year, some being super villan free days, some story archs that take up to a few weeks to complete. It doesn't all have to be Spidy stuff either. You live all of Peter Parkers life, not just when he's wearing the mask, that's important you are Peter Parker AKA Spiderman not the other way around. Anyway, second way it could go is that a number of iconic Spidy villans are picked and each is assigned a team. Each team creates a multitude of storys involving their given characters. At first Spiderman handles low level crimes like robbery and car theifs. When you start to become more noticable Villans begin to appear. Lower level ones first, like shocker. As you get better you move onto the bigger baddies like Goblin and Doc Ock. I personally like the second option. In conclusion, the most important idea behind this concept is that you are living Peters life, and the game universe is deeply thought out and created. Buildings are enterable, not all of them but the important ones. Aunt Mays house, Midtown high, the Osborns, and a few shops. Personally I would play this game non-stop. If any Beenox or current Spidy right holders like tis idea please feel free to be inspired. 

grumblingdoctor

A first person super hero game definitely sounds interesting, but spiderman wouldn't the best hero to choose for it. Biggest concerns you'd have with a first person spidey game would be the combat and web swinging. I wouldn't expect combat to be as in depth or fluid as any of the past spidey titles. The simple left punch, right punch melee attack you see in other first person games like Dead Island or Dishonored would be all you have in your arsenal. This lack in hand to hand combat would place an over emphasis on the use of webshooters and I don't think fans would want to see the spidey franchise turned into a shooter franchise. Web swinging on the other hand would probably work out better than the combat, though my worry with that would be the overall shakiness of the camera while swinging through the air (and moving about in general). Aside from that everything else about your idea sounds great, minus the excessive normal/realistic activities of Peter Parker but.... that's just my preference. I know fans are asking for Spidey's alter ego to have more of a role in the game and I don't mind that, I just hope it doesn't go too far by adding in an unnecessary amount of "chores of everyday life" that I couldn't care less about when there were a ton of superhero activites they could've added instead.

By the way I don't know why there hasn't already been an origin story spiderman game yet.......who knows it might be the next game since for some reason I doubt the next spidey game will be a movie tie-in. Recent news on the Amazing Spiderman 2 movie says that Rhino will be on-screen and it doesn't look like its going to be the cross-species version that Beenox debuted in TASM. If so that's going to create a lot of confusion if the next game is a movie tie-in and it once again features Rhino but he's completely different from the one of the last game.

TheNewSuperHero

They should really go for a movie tie-in story. I know a lot of people always hate on movie tie-ins but it's the best thing to do (better than doing another ASM style game with a story that never happened / is scratched in the next game).

Who knows, maybe they simply continue the ASM game story and create their own spin-off universe based on the Webb movies. Just don't go for another apocalypse story line please... it's way too much. I'm fine with a few villains going rampage in the city, but dont release a virus or army of robots that brings hell on earth. I always thought this was an unoriginal way of telling a story and the "easy way out" by simply going for an apocalypse storyline.... especially when you can hardly top a burning, infected and hotzone city without doing the same over and over again (which gets boring).

TimFL274

How are they going to explain the issue with Rhino if the next game is a movie-tie in? "Hey guys we know that we tried to use characters that wouldn't have a chance of appearing in the films but that didn't work so just ignore everything from TASM." I know I mentioned in an earlier post that maybe they could make a spin-off universe but now that I think about it, that's going to create even more confusion to have a different but identical movie universe within the games released at the same time as the films. The movie tie-in games for spiderman were usually the best super hero games in general back in the day but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore (thanks to Batman). I think PunyParker is right that the developers should focus on a comic book inspired game as their main stay and release the occasional underwhelming movie-tie just to satisfy the film promotion. Similar to what High Moon does with their Transformers franchise, releasing War for Cybertron/Fall of Cybertron which is based on the cartoon as their Triple A games and then releasing Dark of the Moon and what I'm assuming will be Transformers 4 as the simple cross promotion for the movie. It makes me think back to Spiderman Edge of Time which should of recieved everything TASM had (the free-roam, web rush, etc.) while The Amazing Spiderman should of been the simple door opening button masher that Edge of Time was.

TheNewSuperHero

Exactly, that's why I said they should go back to movie tie-in stories (as in retell the movie story instead of simply having a made up story).

Also I don't agree with releasing comic book inspired games, I like the movie games more (no comic Spider-Man game ever topped SM2 and SM3 for me, not even Ultimate SM or WoS even though they had better gameplay).

TimFL274

Like I said if the game was based on the movie how are they going to explain the difference in Rhino, ignore it? Regardless, having better gameplay is what it's all about otherwise no one would care to buy a sub-par movie game again and again. Why bother to retell the movie story when you could just watch the movie rather than having the devs try to figure out ways to extend a 2 hour plot into an 8 to 10 hour affair that is inconsistent with the actual storyline of the film. In the old games characters like Scorpion, Vulture, Rhino, Black Cat or Shocker never showed up in theatres, all of that stuff was made up and had no relation to the actual villains from the movies. With the games industry being so competitive these days the devs are really going to have to step it up. We can't keep looking to Spiderman 2 as being the best the franchise will ever have to offer, especially when that game will be over a decade old. Eventually the publishers would just stop bothering to release these games because there's nothing saying that every major super hero movie needs to have a video game tie-in to be successful. The Dark Knight Rises, Avengers, Iron Man 3, X-Men Days of Futures Past, Man of Steel and so on have no videogame adaptations what so ever and they're doing just fine without them. Activision said they were looking to get away from having so many licensed games being made and I fear that Spiderman may end up on the chopping block some day because it can't generate enough sales. I'd hate for spidey to join the waiting list of super heroes that can't get a video game developed (which seems to include just about everyone that isn't Batman) since I don't see any company/developer jumping at the liscensing rights for Superman, Iron Man, Hulk, X-Men, Spawn, etc. If the spidey franchise relies on movie tie-ins/epilogues/prequels/re-tellings or whatever that has to do with the films then it will surely be doomed and never be able to compete with Batmans Arkham series or Transformers Cybertron series which are regarded as Triple A IPs.

TheNewSuperHero

It would be cool to use different types of webs and set up traps for your enemies.

Spidergamer2012

Here's my idea for a spiderman game, which I mentioned a bit a while back. Feeling that words weren't enough to get across my idea I decided to visualize the concept on my deviantart account.

Check it out here:

http://icedrawn-edge.deviantart.com/art/Spider-Man-2100-Character-Sheet-Finalize d-374098130

-and-

http://icedrawn-edge.deviantart.com/art/Sinister-Six-2100-Character-Sheet-Finali zed-376193668

Sorry to double post but I felt that this thread was similar enough to the other that I should put it here as well.

TheNewSuperHero
Visit us for the latest news, game information, screenshots, downloads and links. GO TO BLOGS