cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Spider-Man: The Core Gameplay

Spider-Man

Any actual information about an ASM sequel or any other Spidey game?

PunyParker

They might tease something at comic-con next month but as of right now there is no indication of what the next spiderman game will be.

TheNewSuperHero

Hi guys,

I am new here (sorry about my poor English gammar). Joined this forum just to get the game developers attention, to make a 3D spiderman game (those wearing 3D glasses). It will be a totally new experience to play spidey, swinging in NYC in 3D.

I remember when I was a kid and watched a 3D movie (those wearing 3D glasses), there was a scene when a pole was pointed at us and we swayed our head to avoid the pole. It was so real as it was our first 3D experience.

Now that the next generation console will be out this year like the Xbox One and PS4, these monsters will be able to handle the 3D new experiences.

I tried to highlight to Sony spiderman forum but google and found none. If you guys are happen to be in a Sony spiderman game forum, please highlight to them that it is time for a 3D spiderman game since the next console machine Xbox One and PS4 will be powerful to do that.

Thanks

Spidey.

peterparker1962

Forget about 3D, can you imagine how insane it would be to play a spiderman on the occulus rift? That would be the perfect setup to make a 1st person spiderman game.

TheNewSuperHero

Would be nice but wont happen. There's no Oculus Rift for consoles (yet, even though they like the idea of supporting the consoles) and even if there was it would most likely be too expensive anyways which would result in no copies sold (since no one owns the device). Look at the Kinect games, there are hardly any proper Kinect games due to hardly anyone owning the Kinect 1.0

I'll just lean back and wait for the first next gen Spider-Man game (TASM2 please?), hopefully they correct all mistakes they made and surprise us with new stuff.

TimFL274

Yeah it won't happen anytime soon because like you said no owns it at the moment. That doesn't mean that we'll never see one, a lot will change during the next console cycle (especially the one after it). I'm just saying that an occulus rift (or some other vr device) 1st person spiderman game would be quite the experience to play one day, no one can deny that.

I've already expressed how I feel about the continuation of the movie tie-ins so I'll just leave that one be. Though I am curious as to whether they'll be an announcement at comic-con next week; would seem like the best way to do it.

TheNewSuperHero

Well there's always been a movie tie-in game for the Spider-Man franchise (Beenox even confirmed that they were first working on a Spider-Man 4 movie game before they got the call that it was scratched -> base for TASM game was already there then) so I highly doubt we wont see one for the sequel, especially after TASM game not being that bad (if they change the swinging mechanics and rework the crime system it would already be worth another purchase).

IMHO they should just go back to doing real movie tie-in story games, the alternate storyline games don't really work out. Either that or scratch the movie tie-in fully and give us something like the Arkham titles.

On the other hand, Beenox could just continue their own version of the TASM movie universe (but this time please without an apocalypse storyline).

TimFL274

I said I wasn't going to touch on the movie-tie in subject but I guess I might as well. If you think about it, there is no such thing as a "real movie-tie in" because there is no logical way to recreate a 2 hour film plot into a videogame without adding in a bunch of characters and scenarios that never happened in the movies. In the first movie tie-in game Spiderman had to track down Uncle Ben's killer by fighting members of the "Skull's" gang, then being attacked by robots sent from Oscorp, then runs into Shocker who's robbing a bank, then climbing up the interior of a bell tower to fight Vulture, then running into Scorpion who's also being attacked by robots, then being hunted by Kraven, then getting into a fight with Green Goblin, then infiltrating Oscorp where you fight a giant Sentinel for some reason, then you finally face off with Green Goblin again on the bridge. The only parts of this game that bore any semblance to what actually happened in the film were tracking down Uncle Ben's killer and fighting Green Goblin, even then those scenarios were loosely based on those of the film. All the stuff I listed from this game and the rest of the spiderman trilogy including Black Cat, Kingpin, and countless others had no relation what so ever to the plot of the films, who were only included into these games because they made that two hour plot I mentioned that much longer. So no matter what the storyline of the games will be whether an apocalyptic setting or otherwise it will all end up being "alternate history". The reason why I suggest that the developers simply scratch the movie tie-ins completely and do their own "Arkham-like" project for the Spiderman games is because at first it seemed as though they were going to have a sort of "behind the scenes" plot structure to the movie universe of The Amazing Spiderman by incorporating characters and back stories that we wouldn't be able to see in the films. But apparently with the announcement that Rhino (who won't be a cross species) will make a debut in the movie sequel of TASM 2 that plot structure has been completely scrapped. Even if by some imaginable way they were able to logically explain in-game why Rhino is changed, there's nothing to say that the exact same scenario won't happen with any other character they choose to include into their game. They'd really have no choice but to just do their own take on the TASM movie universe, but by that point why bother with all the restrictions/limitations of having to showcase specific characters that appeared on-screen and not being able to place any sort of continuity between these games. Not to mention that having a game that's only released around the same time as the films and is supposed to be based within the same universe as the film, but it isn't, would be really confusing. This Rhino situation has made it clear that Beenox has no control over this universe that their making games off of. Though you're right to say there is a high chance that a movie tie-in is under works, however Beenox doesn't need to be the ones to make it, let someone else handle that burden. I'd rather them being known as "the company that delivered outstanding definitive Spiderman games that were on par with Rocksteady's Batman franchise or Highmoon's Transformers franchise" and not "that company that did a bunch of mediocre-to-terrible movie based games" like Sega did with Marvel's Avengers characters. Movie tie-in games seem to be quickly becoming cheap ioS/android games (Ironman 3, Man of Steel, After Earth, etc.) which interestingly enough are closer to the plot of the films but don't have much in regards to gameplay. If ioS/android phone games end of being the future of movie-tie in games then I gotta say that it's for the better. Publishers/Developers get to have a movie tie-in game they don't have to spend any real money or effort trying to make that casual audiences will surely buy on their phones. Meanwhile all those aforementioned resources can go to companies like Beenox who deserve all the time and money to making a robust, polished triple A liscensed superhero game that hardcore gamers like us are more keen to spend our $60 on. I think in general game publishers and developers are getting wiser in realizing that $60 mediocre movie tie-in games do not sell as well as they used to in comparison to cheap phone/tablet games, especially with the rising costs of game development.

Bottom line I want to see Beenox do their own thing with the Spiderman liscense and to succeed at that rather than fail at trying to recreate a film experience for the player. If I want to recreate the films, then I'll go rewatch the films, I don't need to see a bad representation of that film in videogame format. Much less spend $60 on that bad representation when I could of just seen the movie again for $10 or better yet buy the blu-ray/dvd. As I've said in other posts before it's not 2004 anymore so these devs can't just go by what was done in the original trilogy and expect everything to work out; things have changed since then. If their going to make a mediocre movie tie-in game then make it an ioS/android phone game, no ones going to care if those games are bad because the expectation is already so low and there is a higher chance of profitablility that casual audiences (which seems to be the demographic when it comes to movie tie-in games which is why you always see one) are more willing to spend 5 bucks or less for a phone game rather than $60 for a console one. If these devs want to sell to the hardcore gamer then they truly need to raise the bar as we, the hardcore gamer, have played triple A liscensed games like "Arkham" and "War for Cybertron". Don't make us shell out an additional $60 just because they've added the unlimited crime events, I'm not paying full retail just play a TASM 1.5.

Sorry to make this such a long post and to update it so many times but I really wanted to articulate how things stand with movie tie-ins so that I'm not repeating myself in any future posts.

UPDATE/EDIT:

One more thing regarding this movie tie-in discussion, I've been checking the XBL/PSN Stores and it seems that more and more movie tie-in games are releasing as cheap $10 digital only downloads, Pacific Rim and R.I.P.D in particular. It's too early to tell whether something like this would become a trend but if it did then it seems like a much smarter business decision to release a mediocre-to-terrible movie tie-in game as a digital only download for $10 rather than a retail disc for $60. If we do get a TASM 2 movie tie-in game and it's more or less exactly the same as TASM 1 then I'd definitely buy it for for $10. If they choose to release at that $60 price point then Beenox or whoever is going to need to a lot of convincing that this isn't just some quick cross-promotional cash grab.

Message was edited by: TheNewSuperHero

Message was edited by: TheNewSuperHero

TheNewSuperHero

Thought this was a great article that perfectly explains "movie tie-in games" and the general attitude the community has towards them.

J.J. Abrams: Star Trek Game 'Obviously a Disappointment' - IGN

"Licensed games have to be able to stand on its own terms, because a lot of times these sort of exist as ancillary products, in which case they will suck." (This is exactly why the recent Batman games,in particular the "Arkham" series, work so well.)

I don't think it can be said any better than this and I pray that Beenox gets the idea. There's been no news so far about a sequel to TASM, so let's keep it that way. The only news we need to hear about a new spiderman game is that it's a AAA title with it's own original story.

TheNewSuperHero

Which wont happen since they can't just say "no we want to do our own game not a movie tie-in". When there is a request for a movie tie-in they'll do it. There's always been a movie tie-in for the Spider-Man movies, what makes you think they'll stop now? They obviously have one in the works (with all the retweeting they do of "waiting for ASM2 game" etc.) and why wouldn't they since TASM game wasn't "that bad".

TimFL274
Visit us for the latest news, game information, screenshots, downloads and links. GO TO BLOGS