cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Spider-Man: The Core Gameplay

Spider-Man

Great suggestions here, but just for clarification I'm going to point out that Spider-Man: Edge of Time and The Amazing Spider-Man weren't developed back-to-back -- ASM was started by a separate team before Edge of Time was released (free-roam games take a LONG time to make). Just clearing that up, not a criticism.

Also: you are correct that normally movie games don't have as much time as regular games due to the fact that it takes less time to shoot a movie than it takes to make a game, but that's why ASM started quite early. Also, setting the game after the movie gave the developers a lot more freedom to make a quality game, since they didn't have to match the story beat-for-beat (and to that end, change the game to match any incoming script revisions).

Moderator Moderator

although the game is kind of known for combat they should improve the script and work and perfect it anyway they have time and the reason the rush in things is because they have to work for different games but really they should take time.

shadowspiderman

I could only understand your second post so I will say that I agree that a spidey game set in the 2099 universe would make more use of web rush.

TheNewSuperHero

To be honest I felt pretty let down with ASM but at the same time could not help feeling the potential that could be had with the spidey games to come. The web rush system has potential to be so much more exciting despite being pretty good for it's debut. Despite the acrobatics and what not of a bunch of chained web rushes it felt very robotic. Still, a cool way to travel if you want to have a cup of coffee, eat or smoke a cig with the other hand,in fact I'm willing to bet that game could be beat with one hand, and I still enjoyed playing it.

Anyways, to get to my idea if it hasn't already been mentioned, is why not expand on the web rush system and use the right stick as cross-hair/cursor that you would normally use for web rushing and applying it to the web slinging as well? and why not use each hand? Why not use L2 or LT to shoot a web with your left hand (R2 or RT for right hand obviously) directly to wear you have pointed with the cross-hair/cursor, and then have spidey move accordingly.. For example; Spidey jumps off of a tall building with the cross-hair/cursor pointed towards a  flag on the side of another building, and in this case the yellow figure would pop up letting the player know that the timing is good to shoot a web directly to that flag and when the web is fired the user can either hang on to the web and embrace the ride or release at any time and continue on either web slinging or web rushing or both depending on how the player wants to maneuver Spider-Man.

One thing that would also be very appreciated is a massive upgrade on the physics of the momentum Spider-Man carries while slingining to each building. If Spider-Man were real, every single web-sling would be different, now obviously there's no way any game would ever be able to make something like this happen, but if a solid effort was made to at least make a bunch of different animations that are a direct cause of Spider-Man's momentum and web placement than that would make for what would be my favourite Spidey game. What ruined ASM for me was the complete lack of any attention paid to physics when it came to the web slinging itself, and even if you're like me and worked the camera to atleast make it look like you may have been attaching your webs to buildings, the flow was always the same, the speed for the most part was always the same, there were like 5 whole animations unless I'm being generous.

I still believe they've laid a foundation and the next Spidey game is going to really be something.

ghgfhgfhfvdf

So are you saying that they should streamline web-rush into the traditional web-slinging? If so, I'm not sure how players are going to feel about having that much manual control taken away from them. Though I do love the application of the web-rush system into the spiderman games, I wouldn't want the majority of his movements to become automated. In my opinion the web rush from TASM seemed a little overpowered with the player being able to fire a web in mid air and "fly" to that point regardless of what it was that web was even attached to. I think that web-rush should be powered down a bit in the sense that you can only do it to nearby surfaces/objects. It also seems unnecessary to have both the back triggers (LT/L2 and RT/R2) serve to activating web rush. You could still incorporate the dual webs like you mentioned, only each hand would have its own function with the left hand being used for web-swinging while the right hand is used for web-rush. Though I would still like for parkour to be included in some way as I thought that it could function similar to Prototype or Assassins Creed through the use of the back trigger.

I fully agree with you on the physics aspect of the spiderman games. Of all the spiderman games I've played the one with the best physics would have to be Web of Shadows. I mentioned in another post how I always felt a sense of "weight" present whenever moving around as spiderman. All the other spiderman games seem to have spidey operating on his own sense of gravity that pulls you out of the immersion of being the character. If there is any realism that needs to be added to the spiderman games then its not in the graphics department but rather in the physics engine.

Speaking of graphics I gotta say that unless we're going to see a spiderman game powered on Unreal Engine or anything similar they should really abandon the whole "realistic" look. It doesn't come off very good at all and just ends up looking bland/uninteresting. I say the devs should get one of the artists from any of the spiderman comics (superior spiderman, new ultimate, avenging, etc.) and get them to do the art style for the game in the same way the Darksiders franchise got Joe Madureira for their game (who did work on X-Men and coincidentally Avenging Spider-Man).

Again you're absolutely right that Beenox has laid a good foundation for the spiderman franchise. All thats left now is to see what they do with it.

TheNewSuperHero

I'm pretty sure he meant using the aim cross as aim cross for directing your webline, not making web swinging automated. That way you would have 100% control over where your webline goes.

Only issue I have with that is that it would probably require a lot of time to get used to it.

TimFL274

Maybe that's what they meant, I'll let them try to clarify what it is they're saying before I reply back.

TheNewSuperHero

TimFL274 is correct, that is what i meant and sorry for the late reply. i had to make a new account cause i messed up the first one something awful, not that those things take that long but y'knowww. Thank you for the reply and i agree with basically everything you said, as you articulated much better the features i'm hoping for in the next game.

Plastis_Wafer

Is it just me or should they also get the original cast to voice the characters + their individual foreign voice over actors? They did that with Spider-Man 2 and 3, why not here.

Now don't get me wrong, I really really liked the voice actors we have in TASM and I would be happy if they returned in the sequel... but it's a movie game after all and it should really have the original cast with their appearances in it (that way we could get a Peter Parker mode/skin).

And I'm also in favor of the movie retelling story/games. TASM had a good story but I seriously was missing the origin story in it, getting to know your powers and overall being a vigilante at first with no proper suit. It makes me feel even more disconnected from the franchise by the fact that TASM story never happened in the movie universe.

And to be fair, I never really liked the apocalypse settings in Spider-Man games (WoS -> symbiotes, TASM -> cross-species virus). Please get back to one main villain or multiple ones that don't wreck the whole city after 8 chapters and infect others. I would've loved to have the movie final in the game though, fight against the Lizard as he tries to release the lizard/cross-species gas (IMO it's ok if sh*t goes down in the end, but not throughout the whole game).

After all, I want to enjoy being Spider-Man halfway through the story by fighting crimes and doing other Spider-Man related stuff without people getting infected by some virus and half of the city being destroyed.

TimFL274

RE: the cast, in an IGN interview Dee said that in this case, the cast wasn't able to participate due to scheduling conflicts. As far as I know that was pretty much the only reason (but as I'm not a Beenox dev, I can't state authoritatively either way -- just relaying the interview info).

RE: Not wrecking the whole city mid-way through, interesting point and we'll make sure that piece of feedback gets up to the devs (along with everything else). A lot of open-world games feature changes in the city over time, either cosmetically (Prototype's a great example) or systemically (GTA 1 -- at least as far as I recall -- had previously "safe" zones becoming deathtraps once one particular faction became hostile). You'd have to ask the devs for the reasoning behind those particular decisions, but my guess the decision usually involves showing the change in the city's character over time.

Moderator Moderator
Visit us for the latest news, game information, screenshots, downloads and links. GO TO BLOGS