Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Video Game (Official)

Spider-Man

Highlighted

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Video Game (Official)

in reply to TimFL274

TimFL274 wrote:

What is it you don't understand about sequel to the first game? It was confirmed by a lot of people already (Chris Baker from marvel, rep from Beenox etc.) that it is a sequel to THEIR first entry in the series, not the movie. It takes place after the events of the first game (yes everything still happened in TASM2) and only takes cues from the 2nd movie (it probably has a few Electro missions etc.)

Tim, I've spoken to you before about your condescending approach when talking to other FANS. You don't work for Beenox or Activision. You're just a guy at a computer like any of the other fans. I'm really happy for you about what -you- read and what you are saying is official. But my concerns are valid, even with all that aside. Activision has NOT confirmed the plot of the story. They have NOT confirmed that there won't be story retcons or other plot devices to tell the story that they're trying to tell. And most of all, Activision has "confirmed" things before, only for things to be not quite how they've presented them because things get lost in translation.

Do not assume that I'm not understanding the childishly simple things you're saying (and have ALREADY addressed), because I'm not arguing with you. You said that already. I acknowledged it. I don't know what more you want.

TimFL274 wrote:

And the Rhino cross-species could very well work even with the introduction of the real Rhino (if they even include him in the game because it's an original story that doesn't fully retell the movies story). Rhino cross-species could just be a normal cross-species whereas the robot Rhino is the real Rhino from the comics. Spidey could even throw some hints in there (like mentioning the cross-species Rhino in a fight).

The games and movies effectively go seperate ways now. The games take cues from the movies but have their own movie universe to play in (with guidance from Sony on what is allowed and what isn't).

For example this is all you hypothesizing. For all of your touting about what is official, the plot and stories are still up in the air. Nothing is confirmed, nothing has been stated. While you have, admittedly, started this thread, I've explicitly stated that I was talking to the developers and staff/crew. For this very reason. I don't wish to argue with other fans about what they think or would like. I'm attempting to tell the devs directly what I think would be interesting. And along with my personal interests (Hobgoblin), I am also attempting to voice what other fans have claimed to enjoy previously.

TimFL274 wrote:

On the other hand I don't think you'll see any of your favorite villains any time soon because it's still up to Sony whether they can use a villain or not (and they'll without a doubt be stuck with what Sony has in their movies or lets them use).

History shows that your theory does not hold weight. Rhino was a major focus of TASM game; That is, he was not in the movie and yet was approved to be in game. He is now a major [side] villain in the very next film. And since this is still a business, the tie-in/cash-in game will feature Rhino.

The IP of characters is nearly entirely open to Activision/Beenox. The only characters that will likely be held back are characters that will be the focus of future films. As Spider-Man: The Movie Game, Spider-Man 2: TMG and SM3:TMG have shown with their character choices and availability. This is for the purpose of not over saturating the market with a character and leaving some sort of surprise for the next film.

Since, as you've said [several times now], they are "going their own way", this means they have free range to use the characters they'd like in stories they'd like. To say otherwise, you'd be contradicting yourself.

So, no, Hobgoblin is just as valid a villain choice as Black Cat was in TASM...

And getting back to Newslad and the devs, I would really enjoy if he were to be selected to be in the games. Thank you.

Level 6

in reply to TimFL274

For all those asking, yes, we have seen the first cut of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 video game trailer. It's coming. It's in the hands of PR.

Aint that interesting......

Level 4

in reply to TimFL274

Been a while since my last post so let me start off by saying "Happy New Year!" and with this new year it seems that we may be saying goodbye to Activision's run on Marvel games. Numerous postings are indicating that Activision's contract with Marvel has come to an end which is why they had a "fire sale" on various games including X-Men Destiny, Spiderman: Edge of Time, etc. and is also why these games have been permanently removed from the digital stores. The "last man standing" so to speak is the first TASM game and it seems that the last Marvel game to come from Activision will be TASM 2. If this is all true it seems that this would be the perfect opportunity for Marvel to license out these franchises to a different publisher/developer or to better yet create their own in-house game studio which would give them the freedom to create games for any of Marvel's extensive library of characters. If they were to create their own in-house games developer they could create a connected games universe similar to what they're doing with their connected films and tv universe. Maybe they could make their own version of Spiderman and the X-Men who debut primarily in the video games but are both part of Marvels Cinematic Universe. Either way I gotta say that I'm all for seeing a new developer/publisher give a go at Marvel's franchises so that we can hopefully see a quality AAA Spiderman game or an X-Men game among others. Activision's marvel based games have been hit or miss over the years but lately their titles have become more underdeveloped and poor than anything else. They have something of a trend going where they'll announce a game, usually with a quick teaser trailer, then there won't be any solid news or footage of how the game actually looks or plays until about a week or two before the game is released and it ends up looking not so great. Prime examples of this include X-Men Destiny and Deadpool (which I did enjoy but that game needed a lot of polish which was odd seeing as it came from the makers of the Transformer games, High Moon Studios). TASM 2 comes out in roughly three months, which I'm pretty sure will be April 29 seeing as how that's the same week the movie comes out and videogames usually release on a Tuesday. -EDIT- I actually just checked the website and it turns out TASM 2 comes out April 17 instead, about two weeks before the movie. There hasn't been an actual trailer for the game aside from that teaser back at Comic-Con, if PR doesn't get a full trailer out by the end of the month or some live gameplay footage by March then I would seriously start worrying about TASM 2 not being good. But even if it is then at least fans can be happy knowing it will be the last one made by Activision until it's passed along to someone else who will do the Spiderman franchise justice, be it a different publisher/developer or Marvel themselves with their own games studio, assuming the information about Marvel cutting ties with Activision is correct.

Here are the links to a couple of the articles that mention Activisions contract with Marvel coming to an end, you can also check Beenox's twitter account and see them mentioning it.

Activision's Marvel Games Pull A Digital Disappearing Act

Several Activision Marvel games are no longer available digitally | GamesBeat | Games | by Jeff Grub...

Are Marvel Licenses Up For Grabs? Activision-Marvel Games No Longer Available Online (UPDATE: Yes Th...

Level 4

in reply to TheNewSuperHero

AFAIK they can continue to do TASM sequels since it's using the movie rights which belong to Sony. That's why TASM1 is still available for purchase. But we could very well see a comic Spidey game from another developer/publisher in the future.

Level 10

in reply to TimFL274

If the contract between Activision and Marvel has permanently ended then there'd be no TASM game sequels, Sony Pictures produces movies and they only have the rights to make the films not the games unless Sony Computer Entertainment who does make games decided to buy the licensing rights from Marvel. Beenox or Treyarch wouldn't be able to continue making movie tie-ins as they're both owned by Activision who'd no longer have the game rights to the spiderman game franchise.

Level 4

That's not how it works. Movie rights have always been a stronger entity than game rights. And I'm almost 100% certain that TASM games are bound to the Sony movie license. This would also explain why they didn't scrap TASM2. They might not be able to use characters not found in the movie universe, but they are very well able to make movie tie-ins.

Level 10

in reply to TimFL274

That is how it works. Movies rights and game rights are two entirely different entities there is no stronger vs. weaker, it's a contractual agreement that states a company has the legal authorization to make a product for profit. Sony Pictures (the company that makes movies) only has the rights to the movie license (as they would given they are a film studio), not the games license nor television license which is why "Spectacular Spiderman" got cancelled a while back because they no longer had the rights to produce spiderman for tv. Even if it were a show that was based on the movies they still wouldn't be able to air it because it is a television show regardless which they do not have the rights for. The same thing goes for video game rights, if Sony wanted to continue the production of movie tie-in games they'd have to buy the game rights from Marvel in order for Sony Computer Entertainment (the company that makes video games) to produce spiderman games. Activision or any of it's companies including Beenox are not able to bypass the games license by using the movie license as Beenox wouldn't be making a movie, they'd be making a game, regardless of whether or not it's based on the films, it's still a game and they do not have the rights to produce the games on the say so of Sony Pictures. For Sony Pictures, whether or not a game is made has no real impact on them as all they have to be concerned with is the movie. As I've said in earlier posts before, there is no requirement for a movie tie-in game to be released alongside a film, it's more of an auxiliary asset, one that if Sony feels is viable for their cinematic Spiderman brand then they would buy the game rights. Fact is they haven't.

In short a movie is a movie and a game is a game regardless of whether one is based on the other, you can't use movie rights to produce a video game, but you can use video game rights to produce a game that's based on the movie. Video game rights which Sony Pictures, the movie studio, doesn't have.

Level 4

Twitter / BeenoxTeam: @GameUnboxing Absolutely not. ...

Twitter / BeenoxTeam: @GameUnboxing Since the game ...

Twitter / BeenoxTeam: @GameUnboxing We did offer ...

Twitter / BeenoxTeam: @GameUnboxing Since the game ...

It is using the movie license (as confirmed by Beenox in their tweets).

Also, new bits of info directly from Beenox (Twitter and Facebook):

- More costumes than TASM1

- No freeroaming as Peter Parker, only story based

- Voice actor has voiced Spidey before

- Wallcrawling does now requrie a button (walk against wall + button = wall crawl, like in SM2/3)

- Web swinging: "It's hard to compare, but our web swinging system is different, you need to use the right or left trigger to swing right or left, plus you can boost with the opposite trigger (if you swing with the right trigger and then press the left trigger your will gain momentum). If you release early, you will go further, if you release late, you will go higher. Also, since the web attach to structures, depending on how far you are on the left or the right of the attach point, your turn will be sharp or not."

Level 10

in reply to TimFL274

Since both LT and Rt will be used to web swing I think that LT will shoot a web out of Spider-Mans left hand and Rt will shoot a web out of the left hand. Also I want the combat to be more fluid in TASM 2 because in TASM the fighting felt slow but the animation was really good.

Level 1

in reply to TimFL274

So Beenox has finally unveiled the first official trailer and box art for TASM 2, and it's pretty damn exciting, much better than that teaser they released last year. There's still so much more to see over the next couple of months, but this is a step in the right direction.

Level 4
Visit us for the latest news, game information, screenshots, downloads and links. GO TO BLOGS