Anyone else skeptical about CoD:WWII multiplayer?

World War II General Discussion

If you had paid attention you would've known that the whole getting health regen from medics thing is only going to be in the campaign....

se7enX89X#6119341

@se7enX89X#6119341 wrote:

If you had paid attention you would've known that the whole getting health regen from medics thing is only going to be in the campaign....

Technically they didn't say "only in campaign ". I don't think it will be in multi. But just being clear.

gotsomestars Level 75

This thread is a perfect example of why I itry to avoid jumping on the hype train. We are still six months away from this game's release date, and we are already seeing complaints, as well as a few early praises, for a game we know next to nothing about. Taking a skeptical approach to a game's release is kind of like telling yourself the game will be no good until it proves otherwise. Instead of being skeptical, why not just approach a game with an open mind?

mygamertagsucks Level 75

@mygamertagsucks wrote:

This thread is a perfect example of why I itry to avoid jumping on the hype train. We are still six months away from this game's release date, and we are already seeing complaints, as well as a few early praises, for a game we know next to nothing about. Taking a skeptical approach to a game's release is kind of like telling yourself the game will be no good until it proves otherwise. Instead of being skeptical, why not just approach a game with an open mind?

I am the opposite only cause in the past I entered all of them with open mind and the result is the same core base issue still makes the experience in the end poor. When IW dropped I was all about the hype and the game went from what I thought was a good game to being one of the worst. So as it is now, they will have to really sell me past the hype cause that is all it is, they use all the tired buzz words. Some of it has sparked my interest but until I know what it is, I am definitely skeptical and more on the fence of not buying another COD. You are right though, we have not seen enough to take a strong position one way or the other. I will however stay skeptical until proven otherwise.

So here is what I know:

Headquarter
They hyped headquarter and while there maybe a lot more to this it looks like a copy from other games like Division and some have said Destiny although I am not familar with Destiny. They say this is to show off your accomplishments but if I had to guess, it is going to be more of a place to push their in game paid items like paid supply drops. If I am correct, depending on how they handle this it will be a further step in the direciton of pay to win. Way to early to tell but it seems that COD games now further into the year tend to put more emphasis on this type of stuff over actual in game improvements. Just look at amount of back lash the VPR got for being OP and quite interesting that you can't craft it, you can only get it in a supply drop not to mention the other three most recent weapons that were supply drop only variants. Crafting is basically obsolete for anything new it seems.

Boots to the Ground
I could care less about this. The one and only aspect of BOTG to me that makes this appealing is I feel their current archaic engine may not perform as well as it should with such fast movement which I think is what cause more potential lag and frame rate issues in IW as an example and probably BO3 as well.

WWII Theme
Interested to see how they tell the story and how that plays out in MP but I get this feeling that it will severly limit the creativity with the game. I like originality and I am more afraid they are just going to reskin the game with an old BOTG game since that is what they seem to do even in the new more futuristic games. Of course there will be some tweaks and more realism in regards to graphics and maybe movement mechanics, but not sure that will be enough for me at least.

Divisions
Again, doesn't seem much different than Mission Team, nothing new there, just a different name.

2 - 48 Players
Don't know about this, it seems that this might be some BS or more hype only to dissappoint later. I don't think the game engine could handle it so I am guessing maybe you can have this amount of people in Headquarters but not in actual game unless maybe there are some very specific modes that allow this. If they do have this and you can actually play this amount of players I would be really interested to see how that works but I am guessing it will be very limited and if they don't work on the core connectivity issues, it will likely be unplayable anyway. 

War

This one seems interesting, would like to see more on this. 

I have a lot of doubts on whether this game will be anything more than reskin of the old with limited creativity. Hope they prove me wrong on this. Two things that would probably make me buy it by default is if they include all DLC Maps (so player pool is not divided) and/or only make paid supply drop cosmetic, not game chaning in anyway. I know that won't happen but would at least show the game is being geared more towards performance over profit.

Still very skeptical and will remain that way on this and future COD's.

MurkBeserk Level 75

The following rant is simply opinion 

I realise CoD is no longer aimed toward the PC gamer and seems to be almost Console exclusive these days but this is my opinion as a PC gamer and CoD veteran. Murk sums it up nicely above and this is similar to the way I feel, more skeptisism for me towards certain aspects but similar nonetheless. Being someone who has wasted money on AW and played against a plethora of hackers in MW3, I no longer have trust in Activision or Sledgehammer. I can't even get a game of anything other than TDM in Black Ops 3. Infinite Warfare doesn't have the best reviews. Ghosts was horrible. Black Ops 2 was the only game that wasn't half bad, since then it has been downhill. 

"Back to the Roots" is a very bold statement in my opinion, the roots of CoD for everyone on PC means Mods, Server Browser, rCon Support and Clan/Community rented servers. I still play Black Ops 1 because of community servers. IMO "Back to the Roots" is a clever play on words giving meaning only to the fact it is WW2 and boots are literally on the ground (No jat-pack-jumping) and has nothing to do with CoD's actual roots - Gameplay and Replayability. They are moving away from the futuristic failures which is good IMO. 

I can only assume that it will be more of the same from Sledgehammer and Activision. A Focus on aesthetics and a lack of focus on gameplay, replayability and optimisation. The game might look pretty but that doesn't make it a good game (IW, AW, BO3 were great examples). Sledgehammer needs to remove P2P Matchmaking and implement community rented servers with a server browser to create longevity, variation and depth to Multiplayer, unfortunately that is not part of their "annual-title-release money grab" policy. 

The hype train for me ended with Black Ops 3 - it will stay that way until Activision can win back some of the faith I used to have in them. Keep releasing the same reskinned, under-optimised, P2P matchmaking drible and they will never see another penny from me and likely the rest of the PC community. 

PxProgDogg
I like that. I have been excited for this game and i do not care for the complaints about the game. Of course if it's something like glitches and or issues with players then i will give advice.
GummehZombeh
Not sure how anyone can be skeptical before even seeing anything. Anyone who is needs to have a Coke and a Smile.
"Being Human totally sucks most of the time.

Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable."

-Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
NiceDrewishFela Level 75

@NiceDrewishFela wrote:
Not sure how anyone can be skeptical before even seeing anything. Anyone who is needs to have a Coke and a Smile.

Nah, lack of info is what creates skepticsm for me, that and previous experience with other recent releases. If they didn't want to talk about it they shouldn't have even mentioned it at the reveal but since they briefly discussed it it didn't sound like they hinted anything new other than the headquarters which sounds like a copy off of other games. The theme they seemed to push was comradery which I really don't know what to think of that in way of something new and different. My skepticism is in regards to whether they are just going to reskin an old BOTG game with nothing new besides some glorified lobby where you can run around between games. My guess, it's probably a different way to solicit supply drops and paid items while doing nothing innovative with the actual game.

Even with my skeptical outlook I am still interested to see what they have in store but my expectations are not set really high for a BOTG WWII game to begin with. Not even going to bring up online multiplayer performance issues as I expect that is one aspect that will probably never improve.

MurkBeserk Level 75
If you were anything but skeptical, I'd have to ask you if you weren't feeling well :-P

I think we are all burnt from some of the recent games and are approaching this with caution... But I am not one to judge something before I know more about it.

It's going to be a COD game. There are going to be things people are wild about... and things that make us mad. I am just hoping they get it mostly right.
"Being Human totally sucks most of the time.

Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable."

-Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
NiceDrewishFela Level 75

@NiceDrewishFela wrote:
If you were anything but skeptical, I'd have to ask you if you weren't feeling well :-P

Ha, can't argue with you on that even though you were just poking fun, I am sure I have earned that based on a good chunk of my posts in IW section, at least recently.

@NiceDrewishFela wrote:
I think we are all burnt from some of the recent games and are approaching this with caution... But I am not one to judge something before I know more about it.

It's going to be a COD game. There are going to be things people are wild about... and things that make us mad. I am just hoping they get it mostly right.

Not sure I would consider being skeptical as judgemental, just more of a... not going to get hyped or at least expect much from them until I see them shed some light on issues that likley won't get addressed such as supply drops, connection, matchmaking and anything other than just reskinning an old and tired BOTG game.

Put it this way, the game won't be very interesting to me if MP is just boosting graphics to fit the theme and everything else is the same. Obvisouly guns will change but not really, some movement mechanics might be polished and graphics will be superior as I am sure they are making this with the upgraded consoles in mind instead of after the fact like before. However, if that is the level of innovation, not really excited about it.

Supply drops will exist and even if they BS us again with some type of crafting system on launch, just like they did in IW, all new weapon variants are supply drop only so back to paid/gamble for items that are game changing and potentially game breaking (ie: VPR Variatnts).

Connection, well unless they rebuilt everything from scratch, this will stil be the downfall of the game. As much as I hated supply drop stuff, I could look past that to a certain degree if I could just find games consistenly and not be forced to basically only play TDM without worrying about the lobby being infested with 1 bar players, that is just one example.

So yeah, safe to say I am down on COD. Haven't played IW for awhile, think I am done with the game to be honest. Still love the game style, just can't get past all the crap the ruins it. 

MurkBeserk Level 75

Studios