Bridging The Gap... Honoring History vs What We've Come To Expect

World War II General Discussion

A lot has changed since the last time Call of Duty ventured into the World War II Era.

World at War was rumored to have been planned to have Weapon Camos that were cut late in the Dev Cycle due to storage restrictions and the fact Camos didn't look right on the weapons. Character models were basic and couldn't be altered beyond relating to the weapon choices you made, and I don't remember players caring all that much about what their character looked like in a First Person Shooter.

Zoom ahead to now.... Every year we've gotten more and more customization, and the games have moved from the realm of viable reality to a more colorful, less war-based look and feel. We can now customize the look of our weapons with bright colored camoflages,  our Character Models with wild looking costumes, and our name plates with custom made emblems and wild calling cards.

So now, as we step back into the past, we remember the challenge developers face when creating a game based on the past and on actual events. When recreating a historical time period, unless you are presenting an alternate history like Wolfenstein,  You are somewhat stuck with how creative you can get. You can invent characters and storylines, but they have to fit within the framework and facts of the event or events you are portraying.  I honestly feel that this, more than anything else, is why the Devs chose to move away from these games and push the narrative into the future... where they could base things off theory and potential but create the world of their game from scratch without being beholden to history.

Which brings to me to the topic here. How do you think Sledgehammer will, or should, bridge the gap between honoring history and giving players the things we've come to expect? How do they provide a reality-based and mostly historically-accurate game while still serving their Corporate masters at Activision with content for Supply Drops and other Micro-DLC?

Would love to hear your ideas here. If you were in charge of SH games.. how would you handle this? What would you as a player like to see? What is your best and worst case scenario for how this turns out? 

"Being Human totally sucks most of the time.

Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable."

-Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
NiceDrewishFela Level 75
3 REPLIES 3

I hope and feel they need to keep it historically accurate. There needs to be a sense of realism and seriousness when handling WWII and they better not turn it into a fluorescent pink circus. I'm going to be optimistic and guess this was a key focus from the beginning. Which would also be very challenging (in a good way) for a development team that had free range with Advanced Warfare.

That being said I love Wolfenstein and where they went with that narrative. I highly doubt SHG goes that route with narrative and fantastical weapon design even though it would probably be awesome nonetheless. Smiley Very Happy

I'm going to have to say it again... Battlefield 1 nailed it. There is a ton of content as far as guns and weaponry that makes it feel authentic and takes advantage of the "Next Gen" capabilities. I think SHG is going to do that within the CoD realm handling WWII.

ps.. great topic.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

@NiceDrewishFela wrote:

Which brings to me to the topic here. How do you think Sledgehammer will, or should, bridge the gap between honoring history and giving players the things we've come to expect? How do they provide a reality-based and mostly historically-accurate game while still serving their Corporate masters at Activision with content for Supply Drops and other Micro-DLC?

Would love to hear your ideas here. If you were in charge of SH games.. how would you handle this? What would you as a player like to see? What is your best and worst case scenario for how this turns out? 

I think the campaign will be close or as close to historically accurate as the game could be allowing for the obvious need for artistic licensing and story promotion. 

The mp though... hmmm I can see a few character customizations options that would work, changes in fatigues the us had a few classes depending where the soldiers were, and i guess depending what the campaign offers in locations you could have desert fatiguesfor example. Plus you have different types of soldeirs, medics, tank crew , gunners, sailros ect theres a lot of scope for customization and keeping it in the correct themes. 

Helmets is one area where i can see options for "flair"  thinking along the lines of things in the webbing like the traditonal pack of smokes, messages written on a la full metal jackets infamous born to kill and peace sign?

If there is any dumb assed colorful camos or jokey fatgues or character options i shall be so annoyed. 

one problem i do forsee is the traditional gun camo challenges... while theres many options for the many just with slight cosmetic differences ect theres going to be a huge percentage of the community who will want and expect the traditional gold/diamond/special camo tbh i dont really have a problem with that its a bit of a cod staple.

Maccabi Level 75

"If there is any dumb assed colorful camos or jokey fatgues or character options i shall be so annoyed. "

What, no bacon camo or neon green zebra patterns for your M1?!?! haha Yeah, they better not f*** with this. I've been so irritaed with this decision since BO2 when (I belive that's when it began) it started. It takes away from the emersion of the game IMO. Plus, what idiot would use neon green or any flashy camo?!?! You stand out in all plces, especially if the maps have many dark colors. Anyways, I just hoipe it's more along the lines of W@W. There are plenty of specialized camos that were used in conflict that they can use. 

On the RNG, they better get the it through there skulls to stop putting wepons in the slot machine! Camos, callin cards etc fine. BUT FFS, NO GUNS!!!! Those should just be unlocked via leveling. 

ZvErS

Studios