Buff all suppressors

World War II General Discussion

All the SMGs in game fire sub-sonic rounds tho I’m pretty sure and they’re the only weapons that can be equipped with suppressors.

i think it’s just for balancing purposes as otherwise there’s no downside to using the suppressor which are very useful attachments

mfshro0m

Actually no. .45 ACP as used in American weapons is subsonic. 9x19mm para as used by the germans is supersonic. PPSh would also fire supersonic rounds.

These go for pistols as well.

BertKK

@mfshro0m wrote:

All the SMGs in game fire sub-sonic rounds tho I’m pretty sure and they’re the only weapons that can be equipped with suppressors.

i think it’s just for balancing purposes as otherwise there’s no downside to using the suppressor which are very useful attachments

Yes, it is odviously just for balancing but my argument is that a more realistic way to balance them would be to make them a little bit more cumbersome to wield. I mean the center of gravity of the gun is thrown off and it has more mass, it should just take twice as long to aim down sites with a pistol with a suppressor on and have more scope sway from the added weight.

BR0NY2

@mfshro0m wrote:

How do you figure all SMGs are using sub-sonic rounds?

Orchamos Andron

Actually on SMG barrel length's that wouldn't make much of a difference since these rounds are designed around pistol barrel lengths. (barrel in a 1911 is something like 4" long) wheras most SMG's are in the range of 8". Ie you're probably already using the barrel more efficiently. Unless you have a speciality round like 10mm auto but that wasn't around in WW2.

It happens more on bigger/rifle cartriges, like .338 Lapua magnum rounds etc. Then your ideal barrel length becomes so long that the rifle would be to big to handle in practice. Suppressors don't actually work on these anyway. They hide the sound rather than silence it, if you're standing down range it sounds more like a whiplash/echo then a loud bang/gunshot.

In real life, most army's use a standard ammunition type but you can get all sorts of specialty bullets. Like for 9x19mm, you can get rounds that use a heavier bullet with the same powdercharge = slower velocity so better for silencers.

Recoil is another issue as you say specially on handguns, and light SMG's that gets noticably less. So if you wan't to be accurate in game, tune the viewkick value. But that would make them pretty unbalanced as you'd effectively be adding grip.

BertKK

@BertKK wrote:

Actually on SMG barrel length's that wouldn't make much of a difference since these rounds are designed around pistol barrel lengths. (barrel in a 1911 is something like 4" long) wheras most SMG's are in the range of 8". Ie you're probably already using the barrel more efficiently. Unless you have a speciality round like 10mm auto but that wasn't around in WW2.

It happens more on bigger/rifle cartriges, like .338 Lapua magnum rounds etc. Then your ideal barrel length becomes so long that the rifle would be to big to handle in practice. Suppressors don't actually work on these anyway. They hide the sound rather than silence it, if you're standing down range it sounds more like a whiplash/echo then a loud bang/gunshot.

In real life, most army's use a standard ammunition type but you can get all sorts of specialty bullets. Like for 9x19mm, you can get rounds that use a heavier bullet with the same powdercharge = slower velocity so better for silencers.

Recoil is another issue as you say specially on handguns, and light SMG's that gets noticably less. So if you wan't to be accurate in game, tune the viewkick value. But that would make them pretty unbalanced as you'd effectively be adding grip.

Yes, it does remove recoil because of the increased weight but again more weight would make it harder to steady your gun and slower to aim and you can simulate this with higher scope sway and ADS times on the guns and yes the added power from the suppressor would be next to nothing so it would just be better to not change the damage or range values at all. Although on pistols you are essentially adding 1/3 more weight so this effect would be more noticeable but you are doubling the length of the barrel so it would add significantly more power.

BR0NY2
Highlighted

@brony2 I’m with you on that

@Orchamus andron I figured most WWII era SMGs would be subsonic like the Thompson. I just looked up quite a few of the SMGs in-game and half of them are subsonic whilst half are supersonic.
A few had suppressed variants made and those of the SMGs who’s usual muzzle velocity is supersonic have adaptation that make the muzzle velocity subsonic, reducing their effective range. The Sterling’s suppressed variant has half the effective range of the standard variant. The reduction in muzzle velocity is usually about 10-30%

I think the community wouldn’t be happy unless the change made by having a suppressor were the same on all guns in the same class. So just saying across the board that if you attach a suppressor you use rounds with heavier bullets is likely the best way to go. The range of damage output of the pistols in-game mean that simply lowering damage would be unreasonable and in any case, the PPSH fires pistol rounds that travel at supersonic speed. I’m not sure how ballistics would change with a heavier bullet tho.

mfshro0m

Studios