Call of Duty: WWII fan trailer

World War II General Discussion

Using clips from the WWII trailers (and a bit of other WWII era games), I made this ~2 minute trailer that starts with actaul footage of pearl harbor voiced over by FDR, then the video cuts to scenes of the game set to the song "War" by Edwin Starr. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB4w9qC7RiM

Phenomabomb_Gaming
9 REPLIES 9

I don't even know where to start on this one.

The clip at the beginning is about the Pacific Theater, this game takes place in the European Theater.

The rest is really just the trailer. For some reason you set it to an anti-war theme song  about the Vietnam War.

WWII was a sadly necessary conflict in which the world came together to fight against forces set on world domination. It was to fight against  a tyrant who was participating in Genocide and Mass Murder. The song choice is wildy inappropriate for the time period and theme. 

I'm not trying to be negative, just honest. Have edited a lot of videos, and it just feels like this was someone elses' work set over a poor choice of music track and an irrelevant quote.

"Being Human totally sucks most of the time.

Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable."

-Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
NiceDrewishFela Level 75

I choose to start the video that way because Pearl harbor is what got America into the war (In the official trailers the main character is from Texas). I then tried to shift focus from the pacific to Europe by showing a quick clip of Hitler, I hoped people would assume that he was declaring war on the U.S. in those few seconds. 

And for the song, it is not just agiast the Veitnam war, it is against all wars. I choose clips from the trailers that show death and destruction, which the song describes. 

I wanted the trailer to make the war seem chaotic and brutal. I did not want to spend a lot of time focusing on thr tyrant the world unitied against, I wanted to focus on the soldiers that were apart of the effort.

Phenomabomb_Gaming
Not sure you could have picked a less respectful song if that was your intention. The song was popular during Vietnam because there was never a clear picture of why we were involved there.

As someone who has studied WWII for years, this video just didn't hit for me. The music didn't sync to anything, the clips seemed off.

NiceDrewishFela Level 75

The beauty of music is that it is relevent in more than one situation.

Phenomabomb_Gaming
No, not always.

Just being honest with you.

NiceDrewishFela Level 75

Every war, necessary or unnecessary, brings death and destruction, and Call of Duty heavily features both.

Just being honest with you.

Phenomabomb_Gaming
You posted a video. If you just wanted praise, you should have said so. From a strictly video editing point of view, the video is subpar. Taking into account the subject matter, it is even moreso.

NiceDrewishFela Level 75

I understand that aspects of the editing are not great, after all this is the first one I have made in a while. Amd while it is important to be criticized, it is just as important to respond to criticism. I see that some people would be against the opening of the video, but I do not agree the song choice was a mistake.

Phenomabomb_Gaming

Can't watch the video here in the Netherlands.

But a scene from pearl harbour is strange for a game set in Europe.

And the song. I get the war is pointless.

But the people thought different about ww2 and the Vietnam war.

So the song isn't really fitting well. 

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaS is OP. Green Stars are OP
SaND get's everywhere
dtuchpunk Level 75

Studios