Do you think they're ever going back to jetpacks?

World War II General Discussion

Re: Do you think they're ever going back to jetpac...

in reply to Deion_oG

Deion_oG wrote:

I HATE jetpacks, and will never play another game with them. I'm wondering what you guys think Treyarch has up their sleeves for the next COD? & yes... I'm already looking ahead next year since this company and game are straight trash. 

After this mess of a game, they should probably seriously consider it. I don't think I ever disliked a COD more than this game except maybe AW. I don't think it is because of a lack of jetpacks but more the developers choices. I even think AW was better only cause at least it has some level of innovation although it was the worst of the three jetpack games.

MurkBeserk Level 75

in reply to MurkBeserk
I think therein lies the rub.

We GOT jetpacks in the first place because people felt the series had grown stale. To Sledgehammer's credit, they innovated. AW was an overall terrible game, but it had some interesting ideas. The execution was poor. Treyarch picked it up and greatly improved on the concept and innovated it further, refining it, but still had some flaws. IW tried, but fell short, at least in my opinion. They didn't innovate, they just tried to do the same thing.

So here comes Sledgehammer's turn in the rotation again. BIG opportunity. They get a lay-up. Making a WWII game should have been a gimme. The community was clamoring for it. They wanted Boots on the Ground again. We haven't been back to WWII for years. Battlefield went Retro and a lot of the community was aching for COD to do the same. Easy sauce, right?

Not so much. I'm enjoying the game, but that doesn't mean I don't think there were a TON of missed opportunities here. Sledgehammer really could have gone further with this game. The return to Boots on the Ground gave them chances to innovate and push the series forward. Rebuilding the Engine from the ground up would have been a start. They could have made the maps far more interactive along the lines of Black Ops. They could have made the maps dynamic. They could have added random weather and time of day. HQ was an interesting idea and has some cool features, but let's be honest, it's basically a showcase for Supply Drop Openings at this point.

I think we expected a bit more after all these years upon going back into a BotG setting.
"Being Human totally sucks most of the time.

Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable."

-Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
Activision Ambassador

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

"They could have made the maps dynamic. They could have added random weather and time of day."

This right here!  This is where their "innovation" could have soared!  BOTG was a gimme as you said but putting in some "random" destructables that would have an effect on changing the game play in a match would have been great (when I say random I mean a 5-7 item rotation between say 12-15 things on each map.  That way each game would have the chance to play completly different with a different permutation of these 12-15 items each game)  Ghosts proved you could make weather changes which effected game play so what's the problem 4 years later to advance THAT even further. 

While their approach to going back to BOTG was some level of innovation in it's own right they really had the opportunity to go much further.

Aaaaaaand missed it by THAT much!   

"Confusion to the Enemy"
Im_Old_School Level 73

in reply to MurkBeserk
I don't mind either way as long as it's a good game.
AW and WW2 are the only cods where I haven't even reached prestige 1 as I got bored and thought the games where terrible.
BO3 and IW where good games imo but my favourite games are MW, MW2 and MW3 which are obviously all botg.
Dante2k

in reply to Deion_oG

I hope not.  Those games suck.

bville

in reply to Deion_oG

I hope not. I don't enjoy sci to games that much.

Anything from world war 1 until know would be good.

I would like to see some progression through different wars. In one game or series

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaS is OP. SaND get's everywhere
dtuchpunk Level 75
Highlighted

in reply to Deion_oG

Dont hate, but I actually really liked AW and BO3. I played AW so much ( HC Dom) that getting less than 50 kills and 3-7+ caps then I had an average match. It was a blast, but I destroyed my controller from that game lol. BO3 was super fun too, I just played it enough to feel "done" with it, only lvl m159, but it was a good run. I played IW a bit, but I just stopped in Feb to play some PC games instead. WW2 is really not my cup of tea, but I like it more than the last CoD, so that works for me. Excited for next year's CoD too, Treyarch ftw.

VenserTheExiled

Betreff: Do you think they're ever going back to j...

in reply to Deion_oG

They can do whatever they want to do, but just no jetpack flying bs anymore. Smiley Tongue Just my opinion...

Horrorman Level 75

in reply to Deion_oG

I know I am in the minority but I loved IW so I would be happy to see a follow up in 2 years time. I understand that people had problems but it was smooth as butter for me most of the time. In ww2 I feel as if my soldier is old and arthritic.

Raskolnikov3277

in reply to Raskolnikov3277
Same here I agree with you. I liked BO3 but IW felt smoother.
I am Playing MWR atm and I'm enjoying it, connections are good most of the time. I do think for some reason the original MW played and felt better though.
Dante2k

Studios