Give me bigger maps, or give me another game...

World War II General Discussion

Oh my God how right you are.  I've never understood the absolute love for Nuketown.  You might as well hang it up if it comes up in the voting rotation on BO3.  It's going to get picked every single time.  I've never disliked any map in any CoD as much as I despise Nuketown.  I would rather play Stonehaven or Bakaara 24/7 than play one game on Nuketown.  I pray that Treyarch doesn't ever remake that map again...but I know they will.

AUTiger93x

@AUTiger93x wrote:

Oh my God how right you are.  I've never understood the absolute love for Nuketown.  You might as well hang it up if it comes up in the voting rotation on BO3.  It's going to get picked every single time.  I've never disliked any map in any CoD as much as I despise Nuketown.  I would rather play Stonehaven or Bakaara 24/7 than play one game on Nuketown.  I pray that Treyarch doesn't ever remake that map again...but I know they will.

Medium maps work best in this game. Too small like Nuketown gets really old although it works good for some challenges but the larger maps like Dominion in IW was just painfully slow boring game of hide and seek. The medium ones seem to play the best overall.

MurkBeserk Level 75

@MurkBeserk wrote:

@AUTiger93x wrote:

Medium maps work best in this game. Too small like Nuketown gets really old although it works good for some challenges but the larger maps like Dominion in IW was just painfully slow boring game of hide and seek. The medium ones seem to play the best overall.

I think you're right about medium maps. Not as hectic as small maps and not that it takes to long to get back into the action. But still being able to slow down for a bit.

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaS is OP. Green Stars are OP
SaND get's everywhere
dtuchpunk Level 75

Yes, I totally agree with everyone. Bigger maps so you can have some strategy. Running and gunning is only fun for so long. Bigger maps make it better for objective based maps. It's WWII after all. They fought in big places.

Maverick247

For me... the bigger the map... the better. Obviously CoD will not go the Battlefield route but I definitely prefer large maps that allow unpredictable play and long range engagements.

From what I've seen so far they did seem a bit tighter than I'ld like. We'll have to see all the maps and how they play.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

The biggest problem is the community. A lot of players don't like large maps because it means, I don't know, having to THINK? 

The biggest lie about large maps is that people think they slow down the game. Not true. The players slow down the game because they become so protective of their KDR that they're afraid to risk being in the open too long, so they start to camp more. The fact is, my best games of 50+ kills only happened in World At War matches. I've never come close to 50+ kills playing anything outside of World At War. So, quite obviously map size is not the issue. 

Some players want to kill constantly. If they're not shooting at something every second they seem to get bored. So, how else do you explain getting 50+ kills on large maps? I'll tell you. You have more choices, more routes to flank, on larger maps. I think having larger maps will bring people back to COD. It's certainly worth a try. I also think it would help if the devs encouraged players to create their own callouts. Right now, all callouts are coming from the game itself from the AI. If the devs got players to come up with their own callouts maybe they'll take more risks knowing other players are drawing attention to what's happening. Team mates helping each other out. What a concept, eh?

RunAndGun1

I agree with you. Huge map doesnt mean slower game. Look at BF1. Battles on huge maps are so chaotic or just get stuck at one place. I think maps size of CoD2 and CoD4 maps is good. Mabye kinda bigger. I would really like to preorder this game but after Ive seen that multiplayer gameplay I still think MP will be crap. And that makes me sad.

Rob1NNK0

@RunandGun1 wrote:

The biggest problem is the community. A lot of players don't like large maps because it means, I don't know, having to THINK? 

Wrong! It means playing hide and seeek. Look at how Dominion played on IW, thats all it was, trying to find which corner of the map people were hiding in. That map, even with advanced movements was extremely boring for a 6v6 match. For sniping it might have been favorable but that is about all the action you can find on there. Terminal was pretty bad too, just people head glitching in their spawn.

What is there to think about, bigger maps don't increase tactical or strategic play, it just takes longer to find players to engage, it absolultely slows the game down.

MurkBeserk Level 75
I prefer small to medium maps. Large maps slow down gameplay but a couple in the mix is good for a change of pace and nice if you want to pull a sniper out.
Botg maps need to be like MW2 and I hope they use Infinty ward style maps rather than three lane choke maps like Treyarch, but that's my opinion.
Dante2k Level 74

@MurkBeserk wrote:

@RunandGun1 wrote:

Wrong! It means playing hide and seeek. Look at how Dominion played on IW, thats all it was, trying to find which corner of the map people were hiding in. That map, even with advanced movements was extremely boring for a 6v6 match. For sniping it might have been favorable but that is about all the action you can find on there. Terminal was pretty bad too, just people head glitching in their spawn.

What is there to think about, bigger maps don't increase tactical or strategic play, it just takes longer to find players to engage, it absolultely slows the game down.

When maps are too small all players wind up doing is reacting. Spawning into gunfire or taking a few steps before encountering an enemy turns into a game of checkers. 

Big maps offer more choices, more time to be alive, which in turn creates more time to think and approach the enemy. Some players enjoy the hunt and don't like to be bombarded with having to react every second.

We all have our own preferences and each size map comes with it's own skill set. CoD has had it's share of all size maps in its history and since we are all different and like CoD our own way... there isn't a perfect size map.

Variety is key. A mix of all size maps is good for everyone. That means having a few maps like Dominion or even larger. 

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

Studios