If it's only American soldiers then I'm done.

World War II General Discussion

Highlighted

There are thousands of great stories that need to be told and some could make for really compelling games. Yet Activision seems hell bent on focusing on America. It's tiring and boring.

WW2 went on for 6 years, America was in it for 3. You think that maybe something interesting happened in those 3 years? Nah, America wasn't in it. Impossible.

Tell the story of the French resistance that was under the Nazi thumb for pretty much the duration of the war or you know anybody else. Britain was in it for it's entirity and Call of Duty's most well known character was a brit, see what the actual beginning of the war was like. Russia too. The polish who probably suffered the most under Nazi threat. Even fighting as a Nazi soilder who is having problems with the Nazi regieme would be a interesting choice. I've literally just came up with stories there that will most likely be more intruiging than what we're all used to from the modern Activision.

My prediction now for the COD:WW2 story will be something like the 'Band of Brothers' TV show. You'll form a bond with your squad, there will be 2 actual brothers. One will die.. cry cry. "We must fight on for Tommy" yada yada, America liberates and wins the war, American Flags fly. Tanks come crashing through a wall etc etc, yawn.

Yes there are still American Stories that do need to be told but if that's all the game is limiting itself to then in my eyes it's a failure. Hope i'm wrong.

Adam360
89 REPLIES 89
Exactly, I have the same concerns. It would be really mesmerizing to see this conflict through the perspective of other nations that went through so much more than US, also for the sake of educating.
As a Pole, I would love to "experience" some of my nations story. But yeah, it won't happen, so at least don't feed us with this sublime and naive crap.
stacinni

@stacinni wrote:
Exactly, I have the same concerns. It would be really mesmerizing to see this conflict through the perspective of other nations that went through so much more than US, also for the sake of educating.
As a Pole, I would love to "experience" some of my nations story. But yeah, it won't happen, so at least don't feed us with this sublime and naive crap.

Hey, I totally agree..I think it would be great if they took on a perspective of other nations during WWII...sadly I think they make it to appeal to the largest audience, which would be of course the U.S....I think it would be cool to have a face off with Polish vs. German forces...it would be even cooler if they had "rigs" or characters you could choose from that represented the countries that fought in WWII..

James8421

@James8421 wrote:

@stacinni wrote:

Hey, I totally agree..I think it would be great if they took on a perspective of other nations during WWII...sadly I think they make it to appeal to the largest audience, which would be of course the U.S....I think it would be cool to have a face off with Polish vs. German forces...it would be even cooler if they had "rigs" or characters you could choose from that represented the countries that fought in WWII..

That last sentence about the characters would be cool. I think shg is gonna have a tough time going back that far and still having enough customization that people don't complain. 

gotsomestars Level 75

I can't remember Treyarch including ANY Brits in World at War so now Sledgehammer can take advantage of this. Like you said Britain was in it for it's entirety.

Jackky360

Considering these games are made by Californians and the game is most likely sold the most to US consumers, CoD has been pretty diverse with their representation of forces in their WWII games... Call of Duty and WWII: Brief History Blog  It certainly hasn't been as heavily lopsided as you make it sound.

I agree though. I do hope SHG visits unique perspectives that we haven't experienced before.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75
Hey,

Sledgehammer have posted multiple videos of them saying how they traveled to varies places to gain knowledge to make a great game. They have a video of them over in the UK so In my opinion, It will not be focused on just America at all. Sledgehammer are not like Treyarch, Infinity ward etc. They have reasons for everything and pay close attention to detail. They strive to make the best Call of Duty every time and I can see it myself once they release a game. Just keep you're eyes pealed for updates from Sledgehammer. They usually post the videos on either Facebook or Twitter Smiley Happy

-HotShot
HotShotDev

Don't take this the wrong way, but my initial reaction to threads like this is that somebody beating around the bush and really wants to play as a Nazi.

I'm just being cynical here, but i've seen too many custom emblems with hate group symbols in previous Call of Duty games not to expect something along those lines.

ligas81

Adam, what you said is really dumb. I would love to play as a German soldier. You realize that most German soldiers were not nazis right? They were drafted and forced to fight. There would be nothing wrong with playing as German. Sadly it won't happen because of liberal babies whining. 

Stevejan7

"Liberal babies"???

The Germans were on the wrong side of history in this war for what should be obvious reasons. Not every German was a NAZI, but they were complicit as bystanders.  I can't think of any situation in which having the protagonist of the story be a German soldier would be acceptable. 

Of course German Soldiers will be playable in MP modes, as those are battle simulations and not stories.

You should really talk to a survivor or visit Auschwitz(or other camps or a Holocaust/WWII museum) if you have any doubts about this. Its not about "liberal crybabies", it is about basic human decency and honoring history.

"Being Human totally sucks most of the time.

Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable."

-Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
NiceDrewishFela Level 75

Studios