If it's only American soldiers then I'm done.

World War II General Discussion

@NiceDrewishFela wrote:
Do you suppose the Empire ate their Taun-Tauns like the Germans resorted to eating their German Shepherds?

so you're saying we shouldn't hold all the german shepards accountable for the actions of a few as some were just basically a food source and not guarding or attacking anyone on the allied side or patroling concentration camps?

Maccabi Level 75

The upcoming Star Wars Battlefront II will have an Imperial-focused campaign so I don't see why there shouldn't be any reason not to have a German campaign if done right. There's a movie, Generation War, which shows the war from the German perspective and I'd say it's a great movie which looks at the human aspect of the fighting.

OrangeFr3ak

@OrangeFr3ak wrote:

The upcoming Star Wars Battlefront II will have an Imperial-focused campaign so I don't see why there shouldn't be any reason not to have a German campaign if done right. There's a movie, Generation War, which shows the war from the German perspective and I'd say it's a great movie which looks at the human aspect of the fighting.

Well for starters star wars is fictional , you really cant make comparisons between the empire and the nazis.

but I do agree with you it would be possible to do a german protagonist story "well" and yes there sbeen some very good films over the years that did that well. The issue is it would be financial suicide for any video game publisher to make a game like that. 

I feel uneasy playing ww2 multiplayer games where i am forced to play a german soldier, I would never play a single player game from a german perspective. Regadless of analogies with ficticious sci fi franchises the fact remains the nazis were real life evil no one wants to be associated with that . Its actually the same reason why i doubt we will see a vietnam based cod it wouldn't sell well,

Maccabi Level 75

I am still gong to buy the game but i agree I am so bord of seeing the uSA win the wr all on there own how about a Campagen based on the failed Dunquerk offensive where we were saved by the litte boats (that is an amazing story) and then preahaps as a DLC starting D-day starting on Pegasus Bridge up to the end of the war.

Doogerie

@Doogerie wrote:

I am still gong to buy the game but i agree I am so bord of seeing the uSA win the wr all on there own how about a Campagen based on the failed Dunquerk offensive where we were saved by the litte boats (that is an amazing story) 

Actually im full agreement with you here, SH seems to be going for an historically accurate story, which they have hinted they want to be educational, my issue with this is as you pointed out a lot of ww2 themed media that comes out of murica is very murican centric and there is always a lot of poetic licensing involced.

As for dunkirk yep, a level like that would've been awesome, it was a very pinnacle turning point for the early part of the war and showed the allies werent just always winning . 

Maccabi Level 75

Hopefuly some modders will put this in i hope.

Doogerie

@Doogerie wrote:

Hopefuly some modders will put this in i hope.

I really hope they do mod tools this year, the original cod 1 had tools and the community created some amazing maps and levels including omaha beach and other battles not covered in the game or expansions 

Maccabi Level 75

I know i was there

Doogerie
But that's not true, at all.

Every COD game has shown US troops working with British Forces and others, not to mention Russian troops fighting the Germans. I can't think of any game or movie or any piece of media I have consumed... and it's been a lot concerning WWII, that ever portrayed Americans as being the sole reason for winning the war. Part of what made WWII such a turning point in history is that it brought so many countries together within the Allied Forces to fight the evil Empire the NAZIs wanted to build. It seems those lessons are lost based on some of the comments bordering on hateful in these threads.

I am always kind of astounded when people are surprised that an American developer tells a story from an American perspective. Glen Schofield even said in the reveal he was inspired by his Grandfather's path through WWII as an American Soldier. Do you think an American could fairly tell the story of the war from a British Perspective? Perhaps, but most writers write what they know. If a British Developer produced a WWII game, it wouldn't dismay me that it portrayed the story from a British soldier's point of view.

The key element is telling a good story. If they can give us a hard-hitting, powerful story that is compelling to play and be a part of.. ultimately it will be a HUMAN story, not so much an American, British, German, Russian, whatever story. Human stories are moving and inspiring because regardless of nationality you can identify with the emotions. A huge part of why the world is so divided is because we separate ourselves so much. We forget that we are all human, because labels de-humanize us... a lesson we should have learned after the horrors of WWII but apparently are still failing at.
"Being Human totally sucks most of the time.

Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable."

-Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
NiceDrewishFela Level 75
Highlighted

Just wanted to say that this thread is very interesting. I see the debate circling around how a game developer should approach an historical war setting.   What to include, and how may such areas be included ?    We are all going to have our own ideas on how history is to be communicated via a game.

Just like any movie which is based on a historical event,  game direction/emphasis/story line is never going to fully encapsulate an individual viewer's desires.    There are so many stories to be told.       I am excited to see how SHGames brings WWII to our attention.

I just ask that all forum members respect each others opinions and viewpoints Smiley Happy    It is very easy in such a discussion to put forward a statement which may be taken out of context by a reader., especially considering  sensitivities and the complexity of war. Topics that can be challenging should be taken with care Smiley Happy

________
FalconR6 | Community Forum Moderator

Moderator Moderator

Studios