If it's only American soldiers then I'm done.

World War II General Discussion

Highlighted

And all the names I called you have been true. You sound like a moron. If not then you are very ignorant. 

Stevejan7

@Stevejan7 wrote:

And all the names I called you have been true. You sound like a moron. If not then you are very ignorant. 

Errrmmm. You didn't call me any names. Until now.  But you're too busy calling names to notice...  

Just a fyi, I don't think you're actual argument has bad points. The way you present them is why there is a problem. Well, that and the fact that you're too egotistical to listen to any reasoning or counterpoint. It's not a discussion that you want. It's someone to blindly agree with you. 

And since that's not going to happen, why not just be an adult and drop It? 

gotsomestars Level 75

It's obvious you are uneducated about the subject. Stop trying to act like you are. There is no "wrong side of history." No war has ever been so black and white. I've already told you I had ancestors and relatives who lived in Germany back then who said that the government told them that the concentration camps were not cruel and the prisoners were treated well. I think it's pretty obvious that the government wouldn't want the people to know the were roasting people alive in there. Do you really think anyone would be okay with that? Even your "evil Germans"? And this is a video game alright? In mw2 there was a mission where you literally participate in a terrorist attack. Do you really think that playing as an 18 year old German kid who was forced to fight for his country (whatever his government's motives) would be more co troversial than that movie? If so than I sincerely believe that the new generation is screwed. Like I said, we have also played as a soviet soldier whose government was no better and probably worse than the nazis. You are being ridiculous. My ancestors fought on both sides of the war and I have no problem playing as Americans and I would have no problem playing as a Jap or German. Let me ask you something. Would you be okay with playing as a German in a WW1 call of duty game?

Stevejan7

@Stevejan7 wrote:

There is no "wrong side of history."

Except this is not true, given the term has been around for about a century and refers to doing something that goes beyond the conventions of whats percieved to be right and just. 
Maccabi Level 75

And by the way, Frank Stigler was not sparing that American bomber out of "courtesy." It was not the same thing as not shooting at someone in a parachute. If the nazis found out he had done that he would have been executed. That is why American government kept the whole incident a secret and didn't release it until over 20 years after the war ended. You completely disrespect him by saying it was common courtesy when it clearly was a heroic and selfless act. 

Stevejan7

@Stevejan7 wrote:

This is what the public school system produces, huh?

I'll bite  just to end this circle of facepalms
Actually I did go to to a public school ( which I absolutely guarantee you won't understand).
I studied the war in great detail way past my normal education at school, mostly as i was fascinated due to the stories my grandfather told me and the sense of right and wrong that he instilled in both my father and myself . Have been on the march of the living (google it) . Have given talks and presentations about the jewish brigade, bricha and haganah to new recruits. As well as historical topics regarding the war.
If you're going to throw this to a well my relatives were... defence . My paternal grandfather fought in the Jewish brigade, fought in Italy, helped holocaust survivors after the war ended, and I'm very proud to say also assisted the Bricha (google it as you won't know what that was). He later went on to serve in both the haganah and later the early days of the formation of what was to become the IDF.  While he never admitted it , my father was convinced he also worked with the nokmin ( google it) by conversations he over heard later in life from my grandfathers close friends. My Maternal Grandmother was the ONLY member of her side of the family who surived the war. She met my Grandfather after the war in what was then British Mandate Palestine after she was resettled onto a kibbutz  ironically while also serving in the haganah ( she was one tough old bird my grandmother). I grew up hearing first hand accounts of the polish uprising, concentration camps and just exactly what the "conscipted germans did and were capable of.
I would love to be able to say due to this unique family background I have a great understanding of what transpired during the war than most of my generation ,but sadly this type of story is the same for most Jewish families living nowadays whose relatives hailed from Europe during the war. 
I know Drews historical knowledge is on point and his comments come from an edcuated and experienced view point.
You on the other hand... have cited some defence thats almost akin to im not a racist because i have a non white friend. You're obviously pulling "facts" from wikipedia and im guessing movies as you mention stuff in very vague terms then come back at a later date suddenly throwing detailed facts ( the pilot story being one) . Nothing you have said so far at all even comes close to showing an actual understanding or knoweldgable standpoint bar what you have obviously gleaned off the interwebs to counter with . With all due respect You obviously aren't equipped to deal with a mature and intelligent discussion about these issues as you cannot go more than one reply without insulting someone, and you're trying to argue your points with people who are obviously well more versed on the subject ( without having to resort to wikipedia ) than you are. ultimately nothing good will come of this thread and it will just get locked as you continue to try to drag it into some personal attackfest which none of us will lower ourselves to your level to respond too..
Maccabi Level 75

@Stevejan7 wrote:

You're the loon who thinks every German soldierwho was DRAFTED and weren't even old enough to vote when Hitler was elected was evil. Bull. Go do some research. Moron

If you can't make your points without attempted insults, the point isn't worth making.

gotsomestars Level 75
This is where we are at in dialog today.

Same thing everywhere else. Can't have a decent conversation without someone name-calling or saying your stupid or anything else.

Intelligence and rational conversation is dead.
"Being Human totally sucks most of the time.

Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable."

-Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
NiceDrewishFela Level 75

@Stevejan7 wrote:

You're the loon who thinks every German soldierwho was DRAFTED and weren't even old enough to vote when Hitler was elected was evil. Bull. Go do some research. Moron

I would suggest you don't resort to insulting people as it just invalidates any point (however confused that point it is )  you are trying to justify.

As for the suggestion that we need to go do some research , i think it is you who maybe needs to go research and not look at ww2 and the atrocities the nazis did under some sort of blinkered view that only only focuses on german soldiers who were not nazis.

I shall say this again although I assumed ( wrongly) that the point was pretty clear last time... not ALL germans were NAZIS, but ALL nazis WERE.

Maybe this game will be a really good one for you to buy as you might actually learn something to correct your obviously flawed view of the war and the causes and atrocities commited in it,.

As for researching I assure you it is not us who need to be researching before button mashing. 

Maccabi Level 75

@Stevejan7 wrote:

You realize only 40% of Germany voted for Hitler? And if you got drafted you were forced to fight or you would be killed? Would you be brace enough to say no? To them they were just fighting for their country. They didn't know why the war was being fought. The nazi regime threatened their own people unless they followed their strict laws. You cannot blame them as bystanders. That is ignorant.

Drew answered this better than i could but I will add nope sorry don't accept that , its right up there with hundreds of germans who stood trial at nuremberg and cited "i was just following orders"

this actually reminds me when the us army forced marched the entire town of weimar up to buchenwald after they liberated it, that town ignored what was going , yes theres fighting for your country but what was going on was NOT

Maccabi Level 75

Studios