If it's only American soldiers then I'm done.

World War II General Discussion

@Stevejan7 wrote:

Adam, what you said is really dumb. I would love to play as a German soldier. You realize that most German soldiers were not nazis right? They were drafted and forced to fight. There would be nothing wrong with playing as German. Sadly it won't happen because of liberal babies whining. 

"liberal babies"

What the hell does that have to do with NEVER honoring anything Nazi related?

Seriously what the hell is wrong with you guy?

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Izjar11 Level 75
A good story tops all.

If you are more concerned about the Nationality of the Protagonist, you haven't learned anything from that war to begin with.
"Being Human totally sucks most of the time.

Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable."

-Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
NiceDrewishFela Level 75

@NiceDrewishFela wrote:
A good story tops all.

If you are more concerned about the Nationality of the Protagonist, you haven't learned anything from that war to begin with.

I have to admit as much as ( and everyone knows how long i've wanted a return to ww2) I am slightly apprehensive about whats bound to end up as a murican centric story. I absolutely detest the whole cod single player is now some bad b movie action film storyline and can this ending up being a bad saving private ryan/ band of brothers video game because thats where we are nowadays.

The original cods had it right, various stories told from different allied soldiers in historical settings that loosely followed a storyline.

That said i get to shoot nazis so meh zfg

Maccabi Level 75
I know BF1 just did this... but it would be cool if they did a stories-type campaign. Soldiers from all over the Allied ranks fighting in various locations. Could even tie it in to whats happening in other locations(First mission is say a British Squad, second mission an American platoon that was counting on success from the Brits).

Eventually have characters intersect in joint operations.

I think it would make for an infinitely more interesting story to have it told from different perspectives.

NiceDrewishFela Level 75

Yes, BF1 nailed it with the story telling. Loved the Italian story with the armor because it was something I knew nothing about in WWI.

I know I already said it earlier but CoD has been pretty good with showing perspectives from the different allied forces. I remember playing as the Russians, the Polish tank driver, and the Canadian forces were intertwined into CoD 3. I mean I even remember fighting along side Jason Statham with the Brits.

That also continued in CoD4 by playing as the Marines and the SAS. My favorite missions of all time (All Ghillied Up + Vendetta) were not American forces. As long as SHG continues that tradition it should be great.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75
Whats funny is, if they do this people will say they stole it from BF1 even though its an oft-used narrative device.

NiceDrewishFela Level 75

@Maccabi wrote:

@NiceDrewishFela wrote:
A good story tops all.

I have to admit as much as ( and everyone knows how long i've wanted a return to ww2) I am slightly apprehensive about whats bound to end up as a murican centric story. I absolutely detest the whole cod single player is now some bad b movie action film storyline and can this ending up being a bad saving private ryan/ band of brothers video game because thats where we are nowadays.

The original cods had it right, various stories told from different allied soldiers in historical settings that loosely followed a storyline.

That said i get to shoot nazis so meh zfg

A murican centric story it is. I guess that is where we are nowadays. Kinda surprised. I thought they would have returned to the multi perspective formula like days of old since they are revisiting WWII.... oh well... still stoked.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

@iHattoriHanzo0 wrote:

A murican centric story it is. I guess that is where we are nowadays. Kinda surprised. I thought they would have returned to the multi perspective formula like days of old since they are revisiting WWII.... oh well... still stoked.

I sort of got the impression it was muricas centric but there was interaction with other nationals like the femae soe character and british dude... it sort of makes sense from a stroy telling perspective rather than just a series of lightly linked levels with different characters 

Maccabi Level 75

I figured as much. But they did mention a few fold in stories from other countries.  He mentioned Russo and the French resistance and one other thing that slips my mind at the moment.  

But with the way they've been doing campaign recently I didn't expect them to jump around much. They want people to connect to the main characters,  so they don't deviate much. 

I think I would like to see various views from various countries,  but, I like what I've seen so far.

gotsomestars Level 75

I like what I heard as far as how they are making it one continuous story. The IGN guys who got a further look at the game were talking about how this is the story of a young man thrust from small town life into the hell that was WWII. I don't think it should surprise anyone that American Developers would take an American Perspective when developing their story. Schofield even discussed he studied his Grandfather's path through the war when formulating the idea for the Story arc of the game.

At the same time, they mentioned a diverse cast of characters, including a decorated British officer, a female French Resistance leader, and others. I think one thing COD has done in the past with varying levels of success is try to serve a variety of masters. While some stories like COD4 worked following various characters around, at other times it was hard to identify with the characters because there was too much going on and the story bounced around too much.

I like the cinematic approach this seems to be taking.   I like that the story seems to hover more around the comraderie and experience of soldiers than the nation they serve. Their experiences are part of the whole of the Allied Army. I think that if done right, the external characters could serve a bigger part and have more relevance to the story. Yes, we are seeing the action through a young kid from Texas, but we may be able to more greatly appreciate the contributions of the British War Hero, the French Resistance, etc through the personal stories we get to experience in context.

NiceDrewishFela Level 75

Studios