It's time for truly next-gen weather

World War II General Discussion

CODWW2 will be the 5th COD on next-gen... which means next-gen has been out so long that it's just current gen. But since we made the switch to next-gen, what truly new things have we seen?

Very little.

This game has a chance to change that.

Weather in WW2 was a huge factor in how the war was conducted. Bad weather delayed D-Day more than once. The battle of the Bulge? There was a little incliment weather. Monsoons in the Pacific.Stifiling heat in Africa. It mattered.

Make weather a factor in MP. Have it change during the game. A random rain shower. Early morning fog that clears away. A clear, moonlit sky that slowly fills with clouds. Dusk that gives way to moonless sky. You get the idea.

Just my thought for what could make the MP experience a little more immersive.

That's my opinion but it should be yours ;-),
RAN
RAN Kismet Level 75
12 REPLIES 12
Yes, I've been a huge component of this.

Random Weather and Time of Day would be amazing. Play a map one time Early Morning with the sun rising and blinding you if you look that direction, next time play the same map in the middle of the night as snow falls, and the next time play it midday but in a driving wind storm. Imagine Wind that would impact movement... ice patches that would cause you to slip, lightning strikes that would cause structures or trees to catch fire, lightning that temporarily blinds you....

Imagine the replay value of a game that changes every time you play it.

Add Dynamic Map elements to this, and you have an amazing experience.
"Being Human totally sucks most of the time.

Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable."

-Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
NiceDrewishFela Level 75
Sounds like BF1 lol.

No, I couldn't agree more. There is something about a stormy wet map that gives a good atmosphere of war and especially in this era. I can't see why they can't do variable weather it would certainly add the the gaming experience.
Dante2k Level 72

@NiceDrewishFela wrote:

Random Weather and Time of Day would be amazing. Play a map one time Early Morning with the sun rising and blinding you if you look that direction, next time play the same map in the middle of the night as snow falls, and the next time play it midday but in a driving wind storm. Imagine Wind that would impact movement... ice patches that would cause you to slip, lightning strikes that would cause structures or trees to catch fire, lightning that temporarily blinds you....

While I would love these things in game, I would be willing to bet it won't happen. Simply because the "competitive" ultra minority wouldn't like it. And they seem to have the developers ear the last few years. But, I'm definitely hoping with you.

gotsomestars Level 75

@gotsomestars wrote:

@NiceDrewishFela wrote:

While I would love these things in game, I would be willing to bet it won't happen. Simply because the "competitive" ultra minority wouldn't like it. And they seem to have the developers ear the last few years. But, I'm definitely hoping with you.

The competitive minority also love Bjoosting everywhere... and we know that is not in the game.

... but...

We will now see the return of bunny jumping everywhere. HAHA

Weather most likely isn't in the game because it... isn't.

RAN
RAN Kismet Level 75

Weather would make it far more in depth in terms of game play. My vote is yes for sure.

On a side note: If they do have dynamic weather, will that mean that I can call in an f-5 tornado as a score streak?!?!?! j/k! 

ZvErS

@ZvErS wrote:

Weather would make it far more in depth in terms of game play. My vote is yes for sure.

On a side note: If they do have dynamic weather, will that mean that I can call in an f-5 tornado as a score streak?!?!?! j/k! 

Now THAT is interesting streak idea. HAHAHA

RAN
RAN Kismet Level 75

I'm with you all on this one! I'd love to see some weather, dynamic or not, involved in some of the mutliplayer maps. They've always had some interesting moments with that in the single player campaigns for COD, but it never really translated on over to multiplayer. It might just be something that is really hard to do with the engine, but it definitely could go a long way to showing the next-gen qualities of the title. 

Plus, weather can add a lot to gameplay tactically, whether it is fog, rain, wind, or snow. Here is a great example of that from Arma 3 when they introduced a much improved fog system: 

Go to Activision Aces!
Community Coordinator

Sniper Elite 4 has a map where the Fog ebs and flows across the map in similar fashion.  It adds a great element to the game.    It's a night time map with a few buildings and lots of forest with a full moon so it's quite errie.  Especially during an extended period of no gunfire and all you hear are crickets and the occasional owl then....BLAM!  You get picked off by some guy in a Guillie Suit from 350 meters and you never hear the shot.  Scares the crap out of you! 

"Confusion to the Enemy"
Pressing the Buttons harder makes the attack stronger!
Im_Old_School Level 75

Yes YES!

Ghost had a little of that going on but it wasnt enough. 

They need that additional upmf to make this game wrothy of the title COD 

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Izjar11 Level 75

Studios