Map Design - Look at older titles - Allow Multiple Playstyles.

World War II General Discussion

When I think back to the older games, CoD4, WaW, BO1... I miss those big maps that let players have more ways to play. They also included some small maps that gave the game some variety.

In my opinion, Ghosts brought that back and the vocal response was pretty negative. After a game like BO2, players seemed livid over Ghosts map design and camping. Smiley Very Happy

Even though there were some descent sized maps in AW and BO3, they seemed small because of the speed. IW has taken that to the next level to the point where it has become monotonous for me. I'm just not in the mood to deal with the speed and size of maps.

MWR has brought back the feel I like (or am in the mood for) and hope WWII and I are a match made in heaven... something more like WaW or Ghosts.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

I only stopped playing WAW on PS3 when it became infested with too many hackers! I still have the game but not the console, PS4 now.

I would buy an XBox1 to fill in the time playing WAW multiplayer until November. Does anyone know if there is a healthy player base playing WAW on XBox1? Also I'm hearing that hackers are present on the old Xbox, both gen console play together is that true?

MrPeevsley

Some friends and I downloaded WaW on the One and only played for a night or two because we were into BO3. I honestly don't know how many players are active in WaW. Also not sure if 360 and One players are playing together.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

OK, thanks I'm in New Zealand, so prolly just wishfull thinking that I'd be able to get a game.

When I think back to WAW I can't honestly recall a map I didn't like playing and I had them all dlc included!

MrPeevsley

Back in the days of MW WAW I saw campers as the new players who didn't have a clue what to do in mp, we were all rabbits in the headights at first scared to poke our heads out because as soon as you did it got shot off! But once you started to get the feel of the game play, maps etca nd confidence grew away you went, boot camp helped hugely and should return to introduce mp to new playersplayers imo, bots are good but not like playing against humans.

Like you say the older bigger maps (and small ones) allowed for all styles of play. But the experienced players had all sorts of tactics to call on including staying still in one position or running fast to rush an enemy posistion, ((no infinite sprint though, required thinking about!) Along with cautious patrolling, settting up defensive positions with bettys or claymores or even using a sniper rifle for what it is intended for, sniping from a GOOD distance away.

I get the feeling some of the guys that haven't played the older games think they were slow, from my personal experience they never were you always had to think and react fast.One thing that has been missing for me for a while now is the feeling of itension and that you are actually in battle!  Its all about speed and lots of buttons and paddles on your controller to press, yes it still takes skill but tactics?  run as fast as you can and hope your connection is better than the other guys, that is what my cod experience has become.

I hope for a brilliant WW2, , I hope the game is for everyone whatever  your weapon of choice, from camping to run and gunning and everything in between!, lone wolf or team player .But above all it needs to be morei tactical. 

MrPeevsley
Highlighted

@gotsomestars wrote:

There's a huge difference in maps since bo2. Huge. Back in the day they had rooms that had one entry.  Nowadays there are at least 3 to every room. There used to be 3 lanes. Now there are 3 lanes with 4 lanes of intersecting cross traffic so there's almost no way to tactically hold an area. 

There used to be a thing called map control that was a huge asset to a good player. Now it's run from one spawn to the next and hope to pick a few people off before they take a step.

There has been a pretty big anti "camping" push for quote some time. It can still be done, but the last few games have definitely leaned toward catering to rushers.

He'll, even the remake maps they put in the dlc, people complain because they are "too big" and people just "camp". I can't even imagine those people even playing cod before bo2. 

You are right though that there are a lot of people who complain about campers. And I bet that number goes way up this year. But it's not even close to the numbers during bo2 and before.  But, the forums were packed then, and cod was in its prime. Maybe going back to ww2 will bring back some of the more tactical players that have been pushed away by the last few titles. The more players the better imo. Even if they are those dirty dirty campers..

I guess I just didn't pay much attention to some of that stuff...to me CoD has roughly been the same setup year after year..Ghosts was an exception..something about that game seemed different from all the rest..I still see the basic three lane map setup that I've been used to..some maps they deviate from the formula, but same for the older games...I will say there is a lack of large maps on IW, and the medium ones seem small because the players make them play out like small maps..

Maybe we just played differently...back then I mostly played with 3-4 of my friends..we were pretty good too, mostly run n gun or snipers..lots of SnD..guess I never noticed any single entrance buildings, or just don't remember...TBH I probably wouldn't be in one anyway, if I wasn't sniping I was rushing (sometimes both 🙂)...I also never have been on a forum until IW, so I didn't see what people were discussing back then..just relied on ingame chatter from mics..

I do realize they have been trying to tone down the camping since BO2..but they can only do so much..the spots are still there (containers, corners, doorways, windows..etc.), they gave back the ghost perk the way it used to be..the only thing is advanced movement..it makes it easier to get at corner campers..the game plays out much faster cause I think more and more people get used to the movement and enjoy it..campers just don't have the time to camp like they used to..IMO, advanced movement is the biggest inadvertent anti camping thing CoD has ever added to a game..I don't think they were necessarily designing maps to be anti camper, or even anti sniper, but to fit the movement system, which is a fast paced system...add that with a lack of larger maps, yeah I can see how it's tough to do anything else but rush...yet others manage to do it..probably more rushers than anything these days, but I think it's cause of the movement system..

Oh well, it is what it is..differing views from different players..that's what forums are for 👍

I hope WWII will bring back the good old days of CoD...slow it down, perhaps they may want to set the tdm kill limit back to 75..I don't want to play a bunch of matches that go to time limit, idk why but that bothers me...also still waiting to see if they're doing the whole rig payload nonsense..that will determine if I even buy the game..tired of those..variants I can live with, I don't despise them as much as I used to..still don't care for them...as long as they throw a few mil towards their servers and fix whatever's been plaguing IW for some people, it should be a really fun CoD again...

James8421

Everybody has likes and dislikes personally I find the rushing playstyle cod has become with clutter all over the small and even smaller maps very monotonus with very little replay appeal. I won't even go there with the movement system!

If people want to camp with an smg or ar that's up to them, it can be countered by your own tactics.

The biggest turn off for me and the reason I no longer play cod is it how it now lacks in tactical naunce.

Run n gun just ain't fun all the time! 

II want to be able to kill a player with my sniper rifle on maps big enough where they can't even see me unless they have a sniper scope themselves. Seelow and a couple of other maps from WAW spring to mind. Don't get me wrong I like a few small quick maps also, but  my fun comes from playing tdm and hctdm with getting as many kills as possible but minimal deaths are ust as important,that's the challenge I personally play cod for and you don't have to be a constant camper to achieve it !

Campers are only a problem if your playing too fast ALL the time, the sign of a good skillfull player (and I don't pretend to be one of them) is the ability to counter any play style.

Sorry rambling l, I agree with the op whole heartedly Ghosts was the last cod I really enjoyed and even then a lot of the maps didn't fell like battlefields. I found myself wanting to tidy up all the mess and clutter before fighting to stop myself  tripping up all the time !

MrPeevsley

Yes, yes, and yes.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

I really want to see a map that was a lot like "Liberation" from MW3.

It was very large and it allowed ALL types of play styles. Anywhere from CQB, to Sniping enemies from accros the map. There were other things incorporated such as underground establishments and other various means of crossing the boundary of "simple" maps.

I want to see maps that pay tribute to ACTUAL battlefields that took place in WWII. I want to experience the battle of the bulge, I want to enjoy a game mode that is similar to D-Day. I want to go into battle with nothing but my rifle, 2 grenades, my m1911, and a health pack.

I think if COD took a route like "nuketown" it would just be catastrophic to the franchise because small maps include the ability to shoot through the wall and kill other players without really having much skill. Kind of a noobish way to farm scorestreaks.

PlayerLoaded

I would like different types of maps.

Some more open maps with long linea of sides for snipers. 

Urban maps with almost no  rubble etc, but also with a lot.

Forrest maps.

Some maps in Normandy with trenches and bunkers.

And mostly non 3 corridor maps. And elevation.

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaS is OP. Green Stars are OP
SaND get's everywhere
dtuchpunk Level 75

Studios