Any Gaming Router Suggestions?

World War II Off Topic Forum

Just looking for suggestions for a new gaming router, so I thought I'd ask here. 

I'm leaning, heavily, on the Netgear XR500, primarily for it's DumaOS software, despite not necessarily wanting a Netduma router. In all reality, I don't need something of this caliber since it's usually only myself on the network, with one device at a time. Heck, I could probably get by just using my modem, but my nephew is here frequently, and he tends to watch YouTube, and play his Switch online, so a router is necessary. Plus, when I'm not gaming, I'm frequently using my phone and laptop, simultaneously, and I'm tired of using my mobile data. 

Just for kicks and giggles, let's pretend my network has 3 or 4 devices on it, with one device being used for YouTube, another being used for Facebook (general web-browsing that sometimes includes playing short videos), a third device, a PC, that is connected to the network but not being used- and the 4th device being my PS4 (this is a scenario that actually has become more frequent while my sister is here, along with my nephew). What router would you suggest for this scenario? 

mygamertagsucks Level 75
12 REPLIES 12

Seems you cant do anything wrong witht his Router. But 280€/$ is a quiet high price. I cant get a Netduma that easy in Germany, long story...

But seems I now found a similar one with the Netgear you mentioned above. I may look for him as well.

Horrorman Level 75

What's funny is that I have avoided a Netduma for so long, and now I'm considering buying a a router with the duma OS. 

mygamertagsucks Level 75

I borrowed me a Netduma from where I work for to test em a little bit. But didnt had much time to do it, and the next day I had to bring him back. I wanted to buy one via Internet, but man thats about not possible really. LOL Sounds kinda crazy, but it is so...

This Netgear has the same functions and even more like a Netduma, so I really look for em now.

Horrorman Level 75

I'm hoping for a Netgear UI, with the Duma functionality and customization. A guy can hope, anyhow.

mygamertagsucks Level 75

Yep, I like everything about it but the price. 

mygamertagsucks Level 75
The Netgear Nighthawk R7000 is solid.
XphRZero

@mygamertagsuckswrote:

Just looking for suggestions for a new gaming router, so I thought I'd ask here. 

I'm leaning, heavily, on the Netgear XR500, primarily for it's DumaOS software, despite not necessarily wanting a Netduma router. In all reality, I don't need something of this caliber since it's usually only myself on the network, with one device at a time. Heck, I could probably get by just using my modem, but my nephew is here frequently, and he tends to watch YouTube, and play his Switch online, so a router is necessary. Plus, when I'm not gaming, I'm frequently using my phone and laptop, simultaneously, and I'm tired of using my mobile data. 

Just for kicks and giggles, let's pretend my network has 3 or 4 devices on it, with one device being used for YouTube, another being used for Facebook (general web-browsing that sometimes includes playing short videos), a third device, a PC, that is connected to the network but not being used- and the 4th device being my PS4 (this is a scenario that actually has become more frequent while my sister is here, along with my nephew). What router would you suggest for this scenario? 

I can never remember where you are so sorry if my pricing is in the wrong currency...

a "gaming" router is just a normal router with the word gaming added so people spend more money . Most high end gaming routers only cost more because of the components they use for WiFi which if you're wired is completely pointless and a waste of money. The ONLY thing you need a decent router to be able to do in regards to gaming is to be able to easily QoS gaming connections thats it. 

honestly you dont need to spend more than £80-100  MAX  

Best router for bang for buck is easily the asus dsl ac56u ( ac1200), you can pick one up for around £80 quid off amazon, its got decent specs, pretty solid hardware for price and future proof, you also get to use the asus app to control everything via smart phone if you'd rather use a simpler interface than good old fashioned QoS via the admin panel.

if you want to spend a bit more and mayber have a wider wifi signal then the asus ac1750 is a really safe choice and still just shy of breaking the £100 mark.

Nighthawks are vastly over priced, you're paying mostly for the wifi hardware and name 

Maccabi Level 75

Thanks, Maccabi. I agree, the Nighthawk line of products have always seemed grossly overpriced to me as well, and I can't really justify spending that much on a router since I do play hardwired (as you mentioned). I am going to look at the ASUS router you mentioned, as well as it's software. 

mygamertagsucks Level 75

Studios