I want your opinions on video games. For science!

World War II Off Topic Forum

Hey all,

I've made a survey that tells you what type of gamer personality you are. Are you an Immersion Engineer, or an Escape Artist? Do you battle with real people or seclude to the shadows in a world of your own making?

The reason why I made it is to gather research on people's gaming behaviours. This study for my masters thesis at The University of Sydney. Now as a gamer myself (WoW Heroic Antorus Raider), I feel like I have a good grasp of the gaming community, but as with all things, you need to do the research to confirm/disconfirm these assumptions.

The survey itself is looking to explore information about:

• Different aspects of your personality
  • What video games you play
  • How much you play by yourself and with other people
  • The impacts of your video game use on your daily life

You can find a link to the survey and more information here (you might need to disable adblocker):

https://sydneypsy.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9WtE0LKWzw4yvBz

So let me know what you think. Do you think I guessed right? What did I miss?

One more thing. A survey like this is limited, and doesn't give people a voice to add what they want to say. I really encourage open opinions about the video game community and maybe how the news and public have a negative view of video games. Whenever I present, I add the personal messages people have sent me to encourage other researchers to remember that we are people too, not just numbers. Tell me what you think and let me know if I can share your comments in my presentations.

Thank you,

Gavin

Gav391
5 REPLIES 5

It's a bit meh. Have seen better posted on the forum.

I didn't get a thingy to give feedback.

Nothing about if games make you aggressive or if you can vent your aggression with gaming etc.

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaS is OP. Green Stars are OP
SaND get's everywhere
dtuchpunk Level 75

I didn’t mind taking it. It was interesting to see what questions you had, but it seems as though there’s a specific type of person or two which can be hard to get the most accurate analysis of/from people. There are many types of people in the world, even adding/having a third type of person in mind I feel would help you gather that  better and more accurate data. 

Awesome though! 😊

kkckillits
Hi dtuchpunk, not sure what you mean. Are you saying that some people are going to find it hard to answer the questions in the survey? If so, I definately agree with you. It can be quite difficult but we understand that and will keep that in mind when we analyse the data.

In terms of the types of gamer, we are trying to get a good spread of everyone. So we're recruiting from all types of website across different genres. Retro and current gaming.
Gav391

Better constructed.

I play first person shooters to get relax/to.let aggression out. 

A couple of years ago we got same sort of survey.

They also asked about shootings and where the media claimed is was because of violent video games etc.

Is has been a couple.of days so don't remember very well.

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaS is OP. Green Stars are OP
SaND get's everywhere
dtuchpunk Level 75

I´ll give you some infos about my gaming habits. Smiley Tongue

- stays privat

- FPS, RTS, RPG´s, Simulations

- 90% alone, 10% in a party

- depends on time 1 - 3 hours a day

- no impact

Horrorman Level 75

Studios