Way Off Topic- I hate football (not a political post)

World War II Off Topic Forum

I'm probably in the minority here, but I hate football. I hated it before I was forced in to playing in Junior high when my Mom signed me up for it without telling me, and I hate it even more ever since I played. I was a baseball player from age 5, up through college, and even a couple of years afterwards. Baseball was all about controlling your emotions, relaxing, and executing what you practiced in a batting cage. Football, on the other hand, was the polar opposite. Every single day seemed like a testosterone fueled moron fest that consisted of fat kids (no offense, but they were fat, not athletic) who were on the offensive or defensive line going berserk, telling the rest of us how important this or that drill is, and it all seemed so ridiculously over the top. I hated getting hit, not because it hurt, but because it annoyed the ever living shti out of me. Every time I turned around, I was either getting hit from a tackle, or some moron teammate thought it would be a good idea to smack my helmet after a good play. All the "congratulatory slap" on the helmet accomplished was making me dizzy. I didn't care if I did a great job, or a p poor job, I hated being hit. Part of that is because I had invested so much time developing a calm demeanor for my baseball approach, the other part was because I still wanted to fight whoever it was that was hitting/tackling me, even though I knew I was not allowed to. I was a receiver, and I kid you not, every single time a play was called where I was supposed to run a cross route, directly into the defense, I purposely "slipped" at the line of scrimmage to avoid the possibility of getting clobbered.

Not sure why this was on my mind, but, it was. I was actually happy that, after my 15 year old Legion Baseball season ended, I needed rotator cuff surgery because it gave me an excuse not to play football ever again. 

mygamertagsucks Level 75
12 REPLIES 12

Soccer player here. Long time ago... Smiley Tongue

Horrorman Level 75

From big american 4. (Basketball, Ice hockey, baseball and handegg)

Handegg is the weirdest.

It's a bit like rugby but different.

I played korfballskf-meervogels2.jpg

A bit like basketball but different.

It's a big sport in the Netherlands.

From the 10 world championships The Netherlands have won 9.

The other time is was Belgium.

And country's from all over thr world can compete. Not just North America with there "world championships"

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaS is OP. Green Stars are OP
SaND get's everywhere
dtuchpunk Level 75

Interesting. I'm kind of ashamed to admit that I hadn't heard of korfball. I'm going to check it out now. 

mygamertagsucks Level 75

The origin story of basketball and korfball is a bit the same.

Korf is a Dutch word for basket.

And the teams are make.and female.

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaS is OP. Green Stars are OP
SaND get's everywhere
dtuchpunk Level 75

I love football. The strategy of it, the physicality. One of my greatest pleasures in life is watching a good football game.

"Being Human totally sucks most of the time.

Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable."

-Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
NiceDrewishFela Level 75

@NiceDrewishFela wrote:

I love football. The strategy of it, the physicality. One of my greatest pleasures in life is watching a good football game.

Me too. I could watch football and hockey 24/7.

gotsomestars Level 75

Hockey is a sport I love in person. I find it hard to watch on TV.

On the flip side, I like going to Football games but I enjoy watching it more from the comfort of my home.

"Being Human totally sucks most of the time.

Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable."

-Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
NiceDrewishFela Level 75

I agree, football is better on TV and hockey in person. I still watch every game during the Devils season but some games I'm glued... and other games distracted by the computer or Xbox. Depends on the importance and who they're playing.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

I was raised in a family full of ice hockey fans. Played street, roller, and ice hockey growing up and used to see a lot of games during the year being situated near the Devils, Rangers, and Islanders.

Strange enough, I had a ton more fun playing roller hockey with friends after school than being in an ice hockey league. Great memories.

Never played American football seriously, just tossing the ball around with friends. I do have great memories watching the game with my Grandfather and the autumn is my favorite time of year so there is something very special about football Sunday.... especially when politics isn't involved.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

Studios