has the world left behind the slow/tactical/patient gamer?

World War II Off Topic Forum

I haven't enjoyed call of duty since MW2 and my faviourite was Call of duty 2 back when i was a PC gamer I was a highly skilled rifle player probably could of been a pro gamer back then but i was just a kid then, It never entered my mind. Same thing for FIFA my other mainly played title, I havent enjoyed it since FIFA13 when paitent build up play and exciting football was a capability. Both games are now played in the same style, fast and furious, High kills, High goals scored. Not dying and not conceding goals now just a distant memory.

Maybe i have been unwilling to adapt to the present but for me it is not enjoyable, I mean.. Is this enjoyable for the rest of the population? I could play games all day, now i can manage 1 map a day on cod. I feel mentally exhausted having to play so fast every game. My playstyle in cod works for about 10 seconds until the game turns into a flanking maze fest. It almost feels like the 90% of my deaths come from flanks or being killed 0.1 seconds after just killing someone. Games no longer let you create your own playstyle it now forces you to adapt to its only playstyle. so called skilled players are now the quickest on the aim there is no tactical approach to beating them no counter playstyle to beat someone who is admitedly better than you in most other aspects. In fact COD is so quick enemy player models dont even look like they can react quick enough to aim down the sight or do they just not have that motion in the game?

Call of duty, FIFA, Plants vs zombies, Halo, Gears... they all resemble the same game, I think thats the most dissapointing thing. Variety is gone. When i want fast and furious stupidity i jump on PVZ, now you jump on cod and get the same thing, or gears and get blasted by someone bouncing off walls with a shotgun making your experience bland. PUBG being released on the xbox although buggy as hell and terrible frame rates is actually a breath of fresh air.

All i can say in the defence of the chaotic run and gunner is that at least games a few years ago had the option for you to adapt this playstyle, now it is the only option for those of us who dont want to play like that and enjoy the game at the same time.

have i just become bad at games? or has the world left me behind?

claytonchina
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

You should have posted this in WW2 general section, not in off topic, where you dont get much replies. Smiley Tongue

Here is the link.

https://community.callofduty.com/t5/World-War-II-General-Discussion/bd-p/cod-wwii-general-forum

Edit.:

For to answer your question.

I have kinda the same feelings and I´m guessing, dam am I to old for playing this game. But seems I have to adept to this new forced play style where run & gun means you are dead, and hide and seek is the king. Difficult to adept for me really, cause I was a run & gun player in all CoD´s I´ve ever played.

Horrorman Level 75

tbh i thought about it but this isn't just about cod its about games in general, + i thought it might get more respectable replys in this section instead of just a couple of git good replys and be lost in minutes.

claytonchina

Yea so true.

Horrorman Level 75
Idk, I enjoy most of the cods. The MW series being my favourite. I absolutely hate the SH cods and have already moved on from ww2 after a couple weeks of play.
I think next year's cod will be a good game, I just have a feeling.
The only other games I play other than cod are all fps. Titanfall2, BF1, Halo and a bit of Overwatch. I find them all different and enjoy them all and at least when a bad cod is released it gives me chance to play other games.
I just bought Halo ODST for the X1 as I loved that game on the 360, it will bring back good memories playing it again.

Also there is big talk of MW2R coming out in the spring next year.
Dante2k Level 72

Here's the thing.. that gamer never left.

There are still plenty out there. There has always been run and gunners, and there were always campers, and there were always headless chickens.

Back in the early days of COD.. the maps were designed in a manner that benefitted the slower play style. MWR proved that. The maps didn't provide many options for flankers and rushers. A skilled "camper" could hold down a portion of the map with little risk of being unseated. It really required a skilled rusher/flanker to have consistent success. Same pattern was true through MW2 for the most part. 

BO1 really flipped the game on it's head, and that is why I loved it so much. It required a little more skill while sniping, it provided more flanking routes, and it challenged campers to be a little more creative and forced them to be more aware. The newer games really went a bit overboard on that concept, and rushing became more and more viable until it became the more dominant playstyle.

But there has always been one constant... players who don't limit themselves to one play style have always been able to adapt. The best, most consistent players are those who mix up their play styles. They can rush when needed, can slow play when needed, and have the awareness to use all of these skills to consistently have success. WWII is no different. I see campers. I see rushers. But the guys I see having success regularly know how and when to do both.

Me? I try to be one of those guys. I am an Average player but I like to move. I've learned over the years that movement isn't always the right thing. Sometimes you have to sit tight for a minute to set yourself up for a good flank. You have to watch an area, clear it out, then move to the next cover. You have to control the flow of matches and not let it control you. Easier said than done, I know.

The guys who claim the game has passed them by, in my observation, are the ones who never grew as players. They still want to camp in "their spot" just like in the "Good old Days" of COD4. They never learned to do anything differently, and then blamed the games for changing when they refused to do so themselves.

"Being Human totally sucks most of the time.

Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable."

-Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
NiceDrewishFela Level 75

Its a good observation you make there but for example take the carentan map, Within a split second of walking out of german spawn you can be annihilated by someone in the window, no time to react  whatsoever, On the same map on call of duty 2 there would be pretty much zero chance of that happening unless there was a highly skilled sniper in those windows, The game feels like there is no skill gap, Like it is designed for even the most useless player to be able to consistently kill people and should that be the case like you said those left behind are those unwilling to adapt, I'd call myself an average player that will usually finish top 3 every map even on this cod that i can't enjoy but with that top 3 finish will come a 15-15 ratio and 10 of those deaths will have probably come against someone that cant hit more than 10 kills a game, ever. I probably haven't explained it well about the ***** player but i think you know what im getting at, the game no longer requires practice to be average/good at it.

It took me months of rifle only practice on call of duty 2 to be come highly skilled.

Same goes for FIFA, Since 13 they have slowly altered the gameplay each year to make it easier for terrible players incapable of putting together a decent attacking move, they removed the capability to press the opposition team something that seperated the bad and good most, A player would be capable of racking up a 75/25 possesion stat at the end of game because of pressure now all games are played at 50/50 possesion because you have to sit back and play and end to end crossing fest because trying to press someone will lead to a 8-0 loss. Attacking runs off the ball are also terrible meaning that you are unable to break down somebody who wants to play a defensive game, he is no longer required to defend runs and can pretty much just sit and watch the "AI" defend itself without him needing to touch the controller.

claytonchina

A lot of games gather to young fast people.

In cod. I know I'm just an average player. Especially aiming. But I'm a tactical player. 

Even in mw, waw and mw2 a lot of maps had low traffic spots which you could use to flank etc.

Another game that ducked up is need for speed. I started playing that with need for speed 2 se. But on one day they decided that nfs needed automated difficulty settings. I couldn't play it for fun anymore. But they want you to improve your skill level by making it harder and harder. (Don't know if it's changed resent years. It has been some years that I played one because of that.

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaS is OP. Green Stars are OP
SaND get's everywhere
dtuchpunk Level 75
I agree. In MW and MW2 you could play any real style you wanted.
Rushing loud and proud, stealth, sniper a nuke class and always a silly class for fun. My classes were always full of a variety for different games.
Dante2k Level 72

Studios