Opening Clip's Opera Music Discovery

World at War Forum

As confusing as the title may sound at first, you'll understand in a minute (Depending on how fast you can read).

Everybody know who Gary Oldman is? He voiced the campaign's Sergeant Reznov. He's also an actor, and in a movie of his, I found something. This movie, which is actually a series of many fifteen-minute short movies called "The Hire" features Gary Oldman in one of the mentioned short movies. The one titled "Beat the Devil" has him as the devil (not really a devil, but the title is more of a metaphor. He's evil. It doesn't matter anyway, read on). Now then, in this short movie, Clive Owen (the main actor. Not important) has a drag race against Gary Oldman, a.k.a. "The Devil." In this drag race, Gary Oldman isn't driving. Some other retired pop star dude is the driver (again, not important). While racing, Gary pops his head out of the sunroof and raises his arms, wind rushing through his wig, which falls off, revealing a bald head (weird, but not important). During this act of strangeness, opera music plays.

Guess which opera music... You all hear it each and every time you start up Call of Duty: World at War. During the opening "Treyarch" black-and-white war videos, there's opera music. This quickly fades out to a Nazi Zombie-esque noise and Treyarch's logo flickers onscreen.

The opera music is the EXACT same of that in "Beat the Devil."

Both the game and the movie feature the opera music, and both also feature Gary Oldman. I'm almost completely sure this isn't a coincidence, because just maybe, Mr. Oldman suggested this music track whilst Treyarch was creating their title sequence.

If this is old news, suck it up, I just made it new... news...

It's cool, though. I just thought I'd let the community know.
Fire_Hendrix
10 REPLIES 10
Wow... Awesome, thanks for sharing. I always wondered what that opera music was about...
DISC0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ukgB2_AhkQ

heres the video, its at about 6:30... it doesnt sound like it at all
Ferrari42292

Ferrari42292 wrote:

No, right at 6:31... It's the exact same sound clip.

And right at 6:33 would be where the sound fades out to the Zombie-esque noise and Treyarch's logo.

But excellent job; you've researched and confirmed my findings!
Fire_Hendrix

Fire Hendrix wrote:

Ferrari42292 wrote:

No, right at 6:31... It's the exact same sound clip.

And right at 6:33 would be where the sound fades out to the Zombie-esque noise and Treyarch's logo.

But excellent job; you've researched and confirmed my findings!

actually, listening to that 2 second clip over and over again, i actually think your right. Thats quite interesting, Treyarch really didnt put enough of the song in it to barely be recognizable... how did you figure that out?
Ferrari42292
I was watching the movie with my dad and my brother, surprisingly.
Fire_Hendrix
short films are wierdd
Ferrari42292

Ferrari42292 wrote:

short films are wierdd

You're telling me...

I'm trying to find a Youtube video of that sound clip as heard on Call of Duty, but no luck. Isn't it in one of the cutscenes before a Russian mission?
Fire_Hendrix
*Bump*

I want more people's input.
Fire_Hendrix

Hello just made an account and saw this 10 years old thread: The piece is from Mozart's requiem K626: Requiem D minor K.626,  third section: Sequentia, Dies Irae.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T7eMctuJLQ 

SGTninjaBloub#5126202

Studios