18 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2009 10:39 PM by Elarinth RSS

CoD:WaW keeps crashing!  HELP!

sam.spade
      Hi,

This game keeps freezing, and locking up my PC!  It happens after about 15-20 minutes of gameplay.

My PC is NOT overheating, because I can play other games like Left 4 Dead for hours on maximum settings and not have any issues.   It is NOT an issue with my power supply or any other component either.   This is the ONLY game I have issues with.

I have tried:

-Reinstalling the game (tried this 3 times)
      -Using the newest video drivers
      -Using old video drivers (recommended by other people with this issue who have my video card)
      -Updating sound card drivers
      -Updating chipset drivers
      -Installing Windows 7 (to get access to a 64 bit OS instead of 32 bit XP)

I'm REALLY tired of this issue, I spent $50 to get a game to play, NOT to get a part-time job trying to get it TO RUN!   If ANYONE can help, please do!  I'm completely out of ideas at this point.

My rig:
      AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
      4 GB Ram
      Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
      250 GB Harddrive
        • Re: CoD:WaW keeps crashing!  HELP!
          SoonerBall08
          Maybe it doesn't support Windows 7 since they are only in The Release Candidate. Are you positive that it isn't any programs you have running? Because I would end all of the program processes before you try to play-try playing CoD4 if you have it and seeing if it crashes. I personally don't have Call of Duty 5 for the Pc, so i can't really give many recommendations on how to fix it.If it hasn't done this since you bought it, then try to remember what you did before it stopped working.(and if you are wondering why my rep is 1 star, it's because i said bad things about treyarch on this forum...)
            sam.spade
            Thanks for the reply!   CoD:WaW has always crashed for me - so I can't trace the issue to anything that has 'changed'.

I contacted Activision and they said they won't help me while I have Windows 7... so... I reformatted my computer and reinstalled Windows XP Pro.  I patched XP to Service Pack 3, and installed all the newest drivers for my equipment.

I'm re-downloading the game now.   I'm not going to install ANYTHING else on the computer until I get a chance to test it.   I'm hoping that the fresh install will fix the game, as I don't have very much hope that Activision's technical support will be able to do much for me.
              sam.spade
              Hello,

I just re-installed Windows XP Professional, and updated it to service pack 3.  I installed the newest drivers for all my equipment, and downloaded a fresh copy of Call of Duty.  I ran the file check on the download just to be sure.

I followed all the instructions on that troubleshooting page and turned down my sound hardware acceleration, and my screen resolution to 800x600.

The game STILL CRASHES after 10 minutes of playtime.

There is NOTHING on this computer except XP Pro, drivers, and Call of Duty.   I'm EXTREMELY frustrated because I have no idea what to try next.   It seems to be a really serious issue with the game itself.   I'm really upset that I purchased this game on Steam because I don't think I can get a refund for what is turning out to be a game that I can't play!  x(
                sam.spade
                Hi all,

I just tried the following:

-Disabling ALL audio via BIOS

-Disabling ALL startup services except Punkbuster using MSCONFIG

Neither of these helped, the game still crashed after 10 minutes or so.   I'm going to try running it in windowed mode, then I'll try running a full diagnostic on my system RAM (doubtful as other games work fine, but I'm running out of ideas here).

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!
                  sam.spade
                  Hi again,

Well, I ran memtest and my RAM passed with zero errors.   That rules that out as an issue.

I also installed RivaTuner and monitored my GPU load and temperature while playing.   The GPU load stayed below 70% and the temperature did not pass 68 degrees celsius.   My graphics card is obviousely not overheating and it doesn't seem to be "overworked" by playing this game.

I used RivaTuner to alternatly underclock, and then overclock my video card by degrees.   NO settings that I tried helped.   The game keeps crashing!

Activision has been ZERO HELP so far in troubleshooting this issue.   I'm starting to run out of things to try.

PLEASE HELP!
                    |bc|Army_Of_One
                    Sam,
                       Sorry to hear you can't play and it sounds like you've done more than your share just to play.

1: What's the make and model # of your motherboard?
                    2: Are running the latest bios?
                    3: Are you using onboard sound or a soundcard?

If you're using onboard sound, disable it in your bios and try running the game with no sound and see if it freezes.
                    If you're using a soundcard, what brand is it? We've had some posts here a couple of months ago that ended up being the issue.

Good luck
                      Missy41976
                      try downloading dual core optimiser, i had to do that for bf2 i think it was.
                        sam.spade
                        Thanks for the replies!

@Army_of_one:

1. My motherboard is a Biostar GF8100 M2+ SE
                        2. I'll check on the BIOS, that's a good question.
                        3. I'm using onboard sound.

I did try completely disabling all on-board sound in the BIOS.  The game still crashed.   I also tried setting the hardware acceleration for sound to "Basic".  Neither of those helped.

@Missy

Thanks, I'll see if I can find that program.
                          sam.spade
                          Hi,

I checked the Biostar website, and found a BIOS update utility.  It says I'm running the most current BIOS, so there's no issues there.

I checked around some more, and found the dual-core optimization that Missy mentioned on AMD's website.  I installed that as well as an updated processor driver that they supplied.

I also found and installed a newer Realtek driver for my on-board sound.   It's not specifically for my motherboard but its considerably newer so maybe that will help.

I'm re-re-re-downloading this game again now, so I'll post again after I am able to test again.
                            sam.spade
                            Hi,

I just tried running the game @ default settings and it's still crashing.

I'm really not sure what to try now, I feel like I've tried every at least once if not twice (or more).

Can anyone help?
                              |bc|Army_Of_One
                              This fix is related to Realtek sounds drivers and Vista(I know you have XP) but I figured you might want to give it a try anyway.

https://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/activision.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php? p_faqid=22151&p_created=1226007234&p_sid=tphvwhAj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=& p_lva=22177&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NjUsNjU mcF9wcm9kcz0xLDk5OCZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9Mi45OTgmcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJ zLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ!!&p_li=&p_topview=1

It says to also install the high definition audio codecs after the initial driver install.

Good luck
                                sam.spade
                                Thanks for the reply Army of One, I tried that fix before but I really appreciate you taking the time to help.  You and Missy are the only ones who have tried to help me and I can't thank you enough!

I tried the updated Realtek driver and didn't have any luck.   The updated AMD processor driver and the dual processor optimization that Missy recommended didn't help either. 

Activision continues to be no help, my last reply from them said "Good luck trying the things you mentioned, we'll close this ticket if you don't post again".   Thanks guys, glad I paid you $50 for this game that I can't play.

Here's a new bit of evidence I've got, I get this error in my event viewer after crashes:  "Unknown error on CMDre 00000001 00000000 00000000 00000001 00000001".  It's from the source "NV".   That reeks of NVIDIA error, however I am using the newest NVIDIA driver direct from their website.

Can anyone help me?  Please reference everything I've tried before replying, I've spent close to 25 hours on this issue, so its not something as simple as "update your driver"     Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!
                                  sam.spade
                                  Hiya,

I also tried using the oldest WHQL-certified NVIDIA drivers for my card (178.13_geforce_winxp_32bit_english_whql.exe).   These also crashed my computer. 

I think I'll start asking around if Activision or Steam will give me a refund for this.
                                    This may be a dumb question but I didn't see it posted so I'll go ahead an ask.

You have patched CodWAW with the 1.4 patch?

Also, does it only lockup during certain types of gameplay?
                                    EG: Solo, Co-op, Multiplayer

Regards,

Vaughan317
                                      kupatange
                                      Try installing and trying out the game on another computer. Then, probably you will know whether it is the CD's problem or your PC's problem. Sorry, but I don't know much more.
                                        temhotabot
                                        This may sounds weird but did you turn off your firewall when you played? Sometimes that can interfere with your game. Also try setting the game settings on low and work your way up as you play, maybe your computer can't handle everything at once.
                                          Elarinth
                                          Your firewall shouldn't effect SP and zombies.

BIOS just boots up the computer and starts the OS. It shuts off after the OS starts so that is not the problem.

Check your settings.

NV is Nvidia