7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2009 1:45 PM by powderslinger RSS

anyone have an AutoCad job?

Just wondering if anybody here has a job they use AutoCad for. I've been using Cad for almost 10 years now and i have a job at a mechanical engineering firm. Im getting bored of it and am looking for other ideas where i can go using AutoCad. Thanks
        • Re: anyone have an AutoCad job?
          I am a structural engineer, and we use AutoCAD a lot. Structural/Civil Engineers, Mechanical Duct Design and the Architects are the main players in this industry who use AutoCAD. Outside of engineering and such fields, im nut sure of too many trades that use CAD.
            PierPetorio
            I'm happy you made this thread cause im taking cad2 in highschool and want to know some jobs other than mechanical engineering.
              I used Cad also in highschool and it was such an easy grade. Then after highschool i went to a CAD school for in depth stuff. My job placement was to the mechanical engineering firm where i am now. I am just not happy with it. You gotta watch out where you go with it. I went in this job knowing CAD and for some reason my bosses think i know everything about mechanical engineering, which i don't. So i get stuck doing calculation programs for HVAC and such. I hate it. Thats why im asking what else is out there.

PierPetorio - if you plan on making a career out of it, i suggest you go to a school that will teach you the 3-D aspect of it. Much more interesting and better pay. either way your looking at starting at 30,000/year in the beginning
                secondhand smoke
                i was thinking of learning cad to design AV installations...
                  ConceptGT
                  I was close to being in the position you are now.  I had been working for a Civil Engineering Co. for almost the same amount of time.  Then I married into the USAF, and had an oppertunity to finish school and I did so with GIS. I can use my new GIS skills (and BA) for just about any job proffesion you can think of.  I am currently working for an Environmental Co. right now.  I had to start back at the bottom in terms of pay scale though (that really sucked: 50% less then what I was making with no BA degree).  But I like the ESRI software alot and I get to use my CAD skills too.  The CAD skills come in handy in terms of knowing multiple types of software also!

ConceptGT wrote:

I was close to being in the position you are now.  I had been working for a Civil Engineering Co. for almost the same amount of time.  Then I married into the USAF, and had an oppertunity to finish school and I did so with GIS. I can use my new GIS skills (and BA) for just about any job proffesion you can think of.  I am currently working for an Environmental Co. right now.  I had to start back at the bottom in terms of pay scale though (that really sucked: 50% less then what I was making with no BA degree).  But I like the ESRI software alot and I get to use my CAD skills too.  The CAD skills come in handy in terms of knowing multiple types of software also!

i just looked up the GIS stuff your mentioning. That looks pretty cool. Kinda looks like a very in-depth, large scale surveying job. Cad skills can go very far indeed. Im starting to lean a little more towards landscape design or some kind of 3-D stuff like i mentioned before.
                      powderslinger
                      my first major in college was CAD.
                      i dropped out...