1 2 3 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2009 7:40 AM by reaper2792 RSS

Obama gives 15 mil to Detroit

WTF. This was crazy. He told people to show up at the coliseum to fill out applications for money and about 65,000 people showed up. There was fighting and stampeding. People were getting hurt. Why is it that Detroit gets a second bailout and nobody else gets anything? Its like the old saying.
      "you give them a fish and they eat for a day, you teach them how to fish and they come back the next day asking for a fish"

I just think it is so messed up. Where did that money even come from? oh yea, our pockets. So the slums of detroit can eat for a day. And he gets a Nobel Peace prize... for what? He cause mayhem in Detroit
        • 1. Re: Obama gives 15 mil to Detroit
          OB must feel sorry for all the Tiger fans who had to watch their team implode over the last 20 games of the season.
          • 2. Re: Obama gives 15 mil to Detroit
            SoylentBob
            Lions, Tigers, Bears, oh my.

Rumors that $3,000 stimulus checks from the Obama administration spurred heavy turnouts.

They were actually applications for federal housing assistance.
            The Detroit Planning and Development Department (PDD) was taking applications for the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program.
            To qualify, a person must have been a resident of Detroit for more than six months, must be homeless or facing eviction and must be able to maintain housing after receiving assistance.
            Also, a resident must make 50 percent less than the median area income, which would be less than $24,850 for single Detroit residents and less than $35,500 for a family of four.
            No mortgage assistance is available through this program.
            • 3. Re: Obama gives 15 mil to Detroit

SoylentBob wrote:

Lions, Tigers, Bears, oh my.

Rumors that $3,000 stimulus checks from the Obama administration spurred heavy turnouts.

They were actually applications for federal housing assistance.
              The Detroit Planning and Development Department (PDD) was taking applications for the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program.
              To qualify, a person must have been a resident of Detroit for more than six months, must be homeless or facing eviction and must be able to maintain housing after receiving assistance.
              Also, a resident must make 50 percent less than the median area income, which would be less than $24,850 for single Detroit residents and less than $35,500 for a family of four.
              No mortgage assistance is available through this program.

all of those 'to qualify' characteristics you mentioned is what Detroit is. So i goes the whole city should get it. Well i know plenty of other places in the country that could use money too but yet this is the second time he is helping Detroit out. Why couldnt he have just put that 15 million and putting it into their schools or hospitals where they REALLY need it. Instead of helping the younger community they are just gonna give crackheads this money. I bet if you actually followed one of them after they get their check its straight to a check-cashing place and a quick stop to the Bodega.
              • 4. Re: Obama gives 15 mil to Detroit
                In all reality, 50,000+ applications were given out over a 3 day period.  They actually ran out of applications.  Of those, only 3,500 people/families will qualify for the help ($3000 max).  What i want to know is if 3,500 people/amilies receive the max ($3,000), where is the other $4.5 million going?

GO LIONS!
                • 5. Re: Obama gives 15 mil to Detroit
                  SoylentBob
                  On February 17, 2009, BO signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, which includes $1.5 billion for a Homelessness Prevention Fund. Funding for this program, called the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program (HPRP), is being distributed based on the formula used for the Emergency Shelter Grants program.

The city thought, due to those qualifications, only 5000 people would apply.

I do not think that people with inch-thick gold chains and diamond earrings expecting to run straight to Best Buy for a new big screen really qualify.

Maybe $15M was Detroit's share. Maybe they got a lot more and $15M was the allotment for this phase. Maybe someone misread $1.5B as $15M and that number has been announced like the rumor of actual checks instead of contact from a service provider after a review. Maybe the city misappropriated the extra cash.
                  • 6. Re: Obama gives 15 mil to Detroit
                    So then why would Detroit be the place to get all that money. Our celebrities are giving there money to New Orleans reconstruction and the government is now giving money to Detroit. I believe one of the reasons this country is in debt is because of the war, which was because of 9/11. Well its been a long time since 9/11 and NYC has only just begun rebuilding the tower project because they didnt have the money for it. The site where 9/11 happened is going to be a memorial not only for the people who died that day, but for all the soldiers that have died since then. So why not give NY any money for that project. Or why not give California money to help fight the constant fires they are having. I dont understand why we keep giving these POS cities money when nothing will change. Detroit is a crap hole and it always will be. Same for New Orleans.
                    • 7. Re: Obama gives 15 mil to Detroit
                      SoylentBob
                      Chicago got $34M.
                      http://recovery.cityofchicago.org/stimulus/en/narrative/investment_categories/h ealth_and_human_services/homeless_prevention.html
                      • 8. Re: Obama gives 15 mil to Detroit
                        MSGT Ben1413

Monkin_Out wrote:

OB must feel sorry for all the Tiger fans who had to watch their team implode over the last 20 games of the season.

• 9. Re: Obama gives 15 mil to Detroit
                          GoldonArRow
                          ...one more reason he was a bad choice.

Between that and the Nobel Peace Prize, this has not been a good end of the week for him.  Again.
                          1 2 3 Previous Next