17 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2010 8:15 AM by SoylentBob RSS

Plane Crash in Libia

A passenger plane has crashed in Libya, killing more than 100 people on board, officials in the capital Tripoli say.

The Airbus A330 crashed on landing at Tripoli airport after a flight from Johannesburg, Afriqiyah Airways said.

Sixty-one Dutch nationals were among those killed, Dutch tourism board ANWB said. A Dutch boy was the sole known survivor, the Libyans say.

British and South African passengers are also thought to have been on board. The 11 crew were said to be Libyan.

Nicky Knapp, a spokeswoman for Airports Company South Africa, said seven passengers were booked to connect to London Gatwick Airport, 32 to Brussels, 42 to Dusseldorf in Germany, and one to Charles de Gaulle in Paris.

"Nationalities and names won't be revealed at this stage," she said.

Airports Company South Africa revealed details of passengers' connecting flights

"A 24-hour helpline has been set up to assist families and relatives."

The plane's final destination was scheduled to have been Tripoli, said Afriqiyah.

Dutch Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende confirmed that "several dozen" Dutch nationals were killed.

Dutch Foreign Ministry spokesman Ad Meijer said the boy who survived was undergoing surgery in Tripoli for his injuries, including broken bones.

On its website, Afriqiyah Airways announced "the tragic loss" of flight 8U771 at 0600 local time (0400 GMT).

"We extend our deepest sympathy to the families and friends of the victims. The search and rescue mission has now been completed," its statement said

Libyan Transport Minister Mohammed Ali Zidan said 104 people had been on board the plane - 93 passengers and 11 crew.

He said that the remains of 96 victims had already been recovered.
      Survivor of Tripoli plane crash
      Libyan TV showed the child who survived being treated in hospital

Britain's Foreign and Commonwealth Office said said it was "aware of reports that there were British nationals on board the flight, but this has not been confirmed".

"We are urgently investigating. A consular team from the British Embassy are on their way to the airport. Consular staff in Tripoli are urgently seeking further details," it said.

Libya's state TV showed footage of a field scattered with pieces of plane debris, and police and rescuers walking with surgical masks and gloves.

The cause of the crash was not immediately known. Some reports suggest the plane crashed very close to the runway.

"It exploded on landing and totally disintegrated," a Libyan security official told news agency AFP.

'Not terrorism'

A flight recorder has already been recovered, and officials hope this will provide some clues as to what caused the disaster.

However, Mr Zidan ruled out terrorism as the cause of the crash.

The BBC's Rana Jawad in Tripoli says the airport is currently sealed off and ambulances have been going back and forth to the airport.
      map

Our correspondent adds that the weather has been sunny and clear over the past few days.

According to Airbus, the aircraft was delivered from the production line in September 2009 and had accumulated about 1,600 flight hours in some 420 flights.

Afriqiyah Airways is a low-cost Libyan airline founded nine years ago and operates a relatively new fleet of Airbus aircraft, the BBC's Wyre Davies in Cairo reports.

It flies many routes between Africa and Europe with passengers often transiting through Tripoli, our correspondent adds.

Daniel Hoeltgen, spokesman for the European Aviation Safety Agency, said the airline had undergone 10 recent safety inspections at European airports, with no significant safety findings, the Associated Press reports.

He added that a team of French crash investigators was already on its way to Tripoli to help Libyan officials determine the cause of the crash.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8676758.stm

103 people died in the Crash and only one 10 year old Dutch boy survived.
      May they rest in peace.

DanielWW2
        • Test #1
          Re: Plane Crash in Libia
          Last Edited: May 12, 2010 8:00 AM
          • Test #1
            How's he supposed to rest in peace?
            Last Edited: May 12, 2010 8:04 AM
            • Test #1
              May they rest in pieces

Fixed
              Pieces. Rest in Pieces.

Ok, feel free to flame for being a heartless bast...  (but you know it's kinda funny)

I told my family that if they are telling Snake jokes at me funeral they are doing it wrong.
              Last Edited: May 12, 2010 8:20 AM
              • Test #1
                "Marty! It's the Libyans!"

"Libyans?!??"

"They expected me to make a bomb, but I just sent them a case of used pinball-machine parts!"

*Gunfire*
                Last Edited: May 12, 2010 11:34 AM
                • Test #1
                  I think the OP was stressing the Dutch part. See the French flag by his name? The one that looks like a Serbian civil flag? It's really the flag of Luxembourg. http://www.google.com/search?q=luxembourg+flag

Had the plane landed without incident, few would have taken notice.

Had the plane safely landed with minor issues, people would again hardly take notice unless something more interesting was tacked on the story to draw the morbid curiosity of the masses.
                  They brought apartheid to South Africa. While apartheid may be gone, the Dutch still represent the inequality between whites and blacks remaining in South Africa. Impoverished black Africans were not the bulk of passengers on this flight.
                  Last Edited: May 12, 2010 12:35 PM
                  • Test #1
                    If he had not misppelled spelled "Libya" as Libia, I may not have even read his OP. And don't give me it's the French spelling crap.

He could have spelled it Labia... That would have been ok.
                    Last Edited: May 12, 2010 12:39 PM
                    • Test #1
                      Evidently, we all know the country is is talking about regardless of the way he spelled it.
                      Crashed at the airport? And you won't even let the boy grieve first...jeez man!
                      Last Edited: May 12, 2010 12:49 PM
                      • Test #1

Byzantine Bomb wrote:

Evidently, we all know the country is is talking about regardless of the way he spelled it.
                        Crashed at the airport? And you won't even let the boy grieve first...jeez man!

Your point is well stated and I am guilty as chargedBut this is OT we do not always treat real situations with the seriousness they deserve.  Of course what happened was a tragedy.

Were you here when we handled and discussed the Brandon Crip situation.  That is where the OT classic line "dibs on his xbox" came from.
                        Last Edited: May 12, 2010 12:57 PM
                        • Test #1
                          I was also joking. I feel no connection to the recently deadeded though it is sad. That poor boy.
                          Last Edited: May 12, 2010 1:00 PM
                          • Test #1

Byzantine Bomb wrote:

I was also joking. I feel no connection to the recently deadeded though it is sad. That poor boy.

No worries Byzantine.  A great Troll (Void) once told me that If you can't take the heat stay the F out of OT. If ya give you must get.
                            Last Edited: May 12, 2010 1:03 PM
                            • Test #1
                              I thought it was, "If you can't take the heat, buy a f*cking AC unit!"?
                              Last Edited: May 12, 2010 1:05 PM
                              • Test #1

DanielWW2 wrote:

May they rest in peace.

thats soo nice, the only thing i wanted to know.
                                and i agree with SnakeDoc.
                                something is wrong with that kid
                                Last Edited: May 12, 2010 3:46 PM
                                • Test #1

Byzantine Bomb wrote:

Snake is an Air Force guy...so it goes to say, he has AC....trust me!  And, I know it was mentioned...but never actually called...but I got dibs on his Neaderlands XBox if he doesn't pull through.
                                  Last Edited: May 13, 2010 7:07 AM
                                  • Test #1

JINX_1391 wrote:

Byzantine Bomb wrote:

Snake is an Air Force guy...so it goes to say, he has AC....trust me!  And, I know it was mentioned...but never actually called...but I got dibs on his Neaderlands XBox if he doesn't pull through.

If I die my last deed on Earth is destroying my Xbox 360.
                                    Last Edited: May 13, 2010 7:51 AM
                                    • Test #1
                                      I guess there's no point in calling dibs.
                                      Dibs.
                                      Just in case you don't get to it.
                                      Last Edited: May 13, 2010 7:53 AM
                                      • Test #1
                                        Dibs? Dibs are for people to slow to race to get what they want.
                                        Or imperialistic European powers.
                                        Last Edited: May 13, 2010 8:10 AM
                                        • Test #1
                                          Too slow or not motivated enough to use force...
                                          Then again, maybe I'm fast but clever enough not to take chances.
                                          Why risk pulling a muscle for a used xbox when there may be something worth diving into the melee for just around the bend.
                                          Last Edited: May 13, 2010 8:15 AM