17 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2010 6:56 AM by ficko88 RSS

Grandma

So my Grandfather recently hurt his leg, and is in a Rehabilitation Center. That means Grandma is staying at my house (She is 86-87 years old). So everything was going well for the first few days, but one night, I woke up and saw her standing over my bed, with a frightened face. She looked like she had seen a ghost, and rambled on that there was "Black smoke coming from the smoke detector". She refused to go back to her room, so I let her sleep on a recliner in our family room.

She has insisted all day that we get the house checked on by the fire department, and won't go to bed this night if we don't. I have two plans: While she's napping, I will say the Fire Department came in and checked everything, and said it is fine. The other plan is to tell her that there is no smoke, and must be imagining things. What do you think I should do?

Stupid/Funny ideas are welcome, I am not expecting any real responses. This thread may not be neccasary, but it fits in nicely with the other sh*tty threads in OT right now.
        • Re: Grandma
          anoreo
          Maybe she is having a flashback as a child, maybe when she was 12 her house caught fire.

You'd be surprised what your folks went through.
            SoylentBob
            Tell her it's Jacob's brother, and he was just checking the batteries.
            http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/channelsurfing/uploaded_images/mons ter-744819.jpg

An Oreo wrote:

Maybe she is having a flashback as a child, maybe when she was 12 her house caught fire.

You'd be surprised what your folks went through.

I know what you mean, I did a biography on them a long time ago, they said the area they lived in flooded a lot.
                anoreo
                My grandma when she was 12 her house caught fire and lost all pictures of her youth......it would never hurt to sit down and talk
                  majorrodriguez
                  How about you really call the fire department and get it checked. She might have actually saw something.
                  I find it very immature to lie or play a joke on your grandmother.

You should be ashamed of yourself.
                    Hold onto your seat folks, a semi-serious response from Void:

Is your Grandma "with it" as far as her mental state goes?  My grandfather lived with us after my grandmother died, and he was shot.  He couldn't remember a damn thing.  I would go with telling her that the Fire Company came and checked it out, and found that you had a bad battery and they fixed it and it is fine. (If you tell her there wasn't a problem, she might not believe it and still worry about it.)

Now, for your minor amusement, one of my many Pop-pop stories:

We actually moved into my grandfathers house after my grandmother died.  It was a good way to save money for a house of our own, and it enabled my wife to not have to go back to work after our second child was born.  His house was a mess, and one day I decided to replace the old crappy light fixture in the upstairs bedroom.

I am fairly handy around the house, and I can replace electrical components without shutting the breaker off, but I usually shut it off anyway because I don't feel like getting juiced.  So I go to the basement and shut off the breaker.  I take out the old light and start installing the new one.  While installing the light, I tend to treat every wire like it is live, even though I know the breaker is off.  After I connect the final wire, the freaking light comes on.  I almost fell off the ladder, it took me by surprise.  I finished the light and ran down to the basement and sure enough, the breaker was on.  I went to the TV Room where Pop Pop was watching the History Channel.

Void: "Hey, did you turn that breaker on downstairs?"

Pop Pop: "Uhh, yeah, I guess so." (It was only me and him in the house at the time.)

Void:  "Why the hell did you do that?"

Pop Pop: "Because it was off."

Void: "Did you ever stop to think that there was a reason it was off?"

Pop Pop: "No, I guess not.  Was there?"

Void: "I WAS WORKING ON THE ELECTRIC UPSTAIRS AND YOU COULD HAVE KILLED ME!!!" (Not really, but he was pretty stupid and had no idea that it wasn't true.)

Pop Pop: "Oh."  (Said with the same inflection as if you told him it was raining outside.)

Possible Pop Pop stories coming up:

"The weirdest liquid he poured into his cereal"

"Microwave Popcorn - Pop Pop Style"

"My Poor Lawnmower"

"Roadtrip to Nowhere"

MajorRodriguez wrote:

How about you really call the fire department and get it checked. She might have actually saw something.

I was thinking the same thing...

MajorRodriguez wrote:

Nothings wrong, I assure you. The Fire Department has better things to do. And this is no joke, I don't want her to feel scared, so I might just tell her this "lie" to reassure her.
                          SoylentBob
                          The FD has better things to do, but you don't.
                          Spend the $5 and replace the Smoke Detector.

Heck, if you swing by the fire station, they may give you one for free.

N8-N
                            Well, at least test the fire alarm to make sure it's working fine.
                              I just went out and bought a new detector, because Soy is right. I told her this and she still seems a bit worried. We'll just wait and see what happens tonight.
                                blynk2wice
                                Why do I have a feeling your grandmother can foresee the future. :-?
                                  You should just tell her that everything was checked and it's fine.
                                  You don't want to make her think that she's crazy, lol.

Anyway this black smoke stuff is kinda creepy. :-?

IntoTheVoid wrote:

Possible Pop Pop stories coming up:

"The weirdest liquid he poured into his cereal"

"Microwave Popcorn - Pop Pop Style"

"My Poor Lawnmower"

"Roadtrip to Nowhere"

I'm looking forward to hearing these.
                                      Horrorman
                                      Black smoke hmmm...maybe she is watching to much "LOST" nah tell her it´s all good.
                                        No disturbances tonight, everything worked fine.
                                          'Glad your grandma's okay!