8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2010 7:22 AM by Anonn RSS

can i run black ops without steam

reason I am asking is because I am not able either off the game dvd or directly off steams website install steam. Each time it errors out and says , could not connect to steam network. this could be due to your network connection or steam network. so visit steampowered.com

posted there no answers. Really sucks sitting with a brand new game and am not even able to install. Can this be played without steam ? If so how ?

fustrated.

thanks
      ssgwarhog
        • Test #1
          Re: can i run black ops without steam
          No.
          Last Edited: Nov 14, 2010 4:40 PM
          • Test #1
            thnaks figured that, but had to ask. Any suggestions on my issue
            Last Edited: Nov 15, 2010 6:36 AM
            • Test #1
              Can you play any other Steam games?  There are some free games out there (I have Alien Swarm and Booster Trooper).  That will show if it really is Steam or something else.

Are you using a desktop or a laptop?  Can you take it somewhere else to use the internet?
              Last Edited: Nov 15, 2010 6:41 AM
              • Test #1
                You can always try to delete your reg.blob file ... and let steam redownload its updates...

- Or you can check all of your settings on steam..
                Last Edited: Nov 15, 2010 6:48 AM
                • Test #1
                  I have a desktop system quad processor, 8GB RAM, ATI 4600 series with 1GB, Win 7 and FIOS connection. This is a first time steam install after  recently cleaning my system and doing a complete windows reinstallation, which I do once a year. Been reinstalling software one at a time. If I were playing any other steam games I still would need to install steam so this problem would still be there. Will see it I have any other steam games left since I gave way most of my older games to my son.

just really strange issue here.

ps non steam games like MOH play with no porblem
                  Last Edited: Nov 15, 2010 6:56 AM
                  • Test #1

NullerGnuen wrote:

You can always try to delete your reg.blob file ... and let steam redownload its updates...

- Or you can check all of your settings on steam..

and how do i do that if i may ask. Oh I did notice then steam was upating it got stuck at 99%
                    Last Edited: Nov 15, 2010 6:57 AM
                    • Test #1
                      go to https://support.steampowered.com/

Do a search for the error message you are getting.  it's a common issue with steam, and the support page will have a lot of suggestions for you.
                      Last Edited: Nov 15, 2010 7:02 AM
                      • Test #1
                        for those who experience pc freezing during mp games, it seems that they ported this game to pc not good, so to solve freezing in mp games type in ingame-console: /demo_enabled 0 - it will turn off replay recording.
                        By default, in configs multicore support is turned off, turn it on
                        find in file config_mp.cfg "seta r_multithreaded_device" set it to 1, it should enable multicore support (if you have more than single core CPU)

also try giving a higher priority to BlackOpsMP.exe and running game with steam being in offline mode.
                        Last Edited: Nov 15, 2010 7:22 AM