48 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2010 4:51 PM by Evensen1 RSS

NAT Type: Open in MW2; Moderate in Black Ops-is this you?

If you are:

(1) one of those people who have reported that MW2 says the NAT is OPEN but BLACKOPS says the NAT is MODERATE
      (2) you are using the "Start MP by Default" option
      (3) have a UPnP router (as confirmed by the XMB connection test)
      (4) network savy, are comfortable messing with routers
      (5) are not wireless; you are using a hardwired ethernet cable
      (6) are not currently port fowarding or DMZed, just trying to use UPnP like "most people" OR you are willing to temporarily change your router to not use that set up

-Disable the option to "Start MP by Default" so that you always boot through CAMPAIGN/SP. Back out of the menu so it saves.
      -Shut down your PS3 entirely so it's off.
      -Reboot your router entirely (either by unplugging it, reset switch, or by the Reboot button in the web admin panel [depends on router])

-Turn Router back on. Wait a bit of time till it syncs up/is booted.
      -Turn on your PS3.

-Boot Black Ops into single player.
      -Switch to multilayer
      -Connect to PlayStation network so you see all 4 revisions numbers (52.X.X.X) in top right hand corner
      -Go to Options
      -Hit select
      -Check NAT Type

Does it now say OPEN instead of MODERATE?

I am trying to validate if a timing problem occurs with the Nat Transversal/UpNP if you boot MP by default.

As always, cheers to those of you who keep it on topic. Your reply should be something simple such as:

-I meet the conditions you describe.
      -These steps "did" or "did not" work for me.

Again, it's important to fully shut down and reboot your PS3 and router in-between, otherwise the test is not 100% valid because either the PS3 or the router could be remember the port mappings from MW2. I don't want it to. Although that might be a good work around for you, it won't help us valid the test. I am doing the same testing here although we are using Wireshark and a hub to see what is going on.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar

Update 1:
      Be sure your router Firmware is up to date. Mine was not and UPnP started reporting as available in the XMB after I upgraded even though my router is a really newer Linksys model I bought just a few weeks ago!

Update 2: 
      Having an OPEN or MODERATE NAT is important. OPEN is best. I don't think the NAT issues are the one and only problem. We are investigating Quality of Service probe failures (Game Lobby closed) and much more.

If Black Ops is failing to properly open up the necessary ports on UPnP routers this could cause significant issues for a large number of typical Internet at home users. It's not just about your connection, but the connection you can maintain between everyone in your party, or in the game.

Update 3:
      I have to do this every time I post, but so be it.

Most issues in the game can be fixed if they can be found and reproduced. I was finally (after upgrading my router firmware) able to reproduce the issue that people were telling me about where MW2 would report OPEN but BlackOps would report MODERATE.

I couldn't get this to happen because I wasn't actually UPnP enabled. I wasn't UPnP enabled because of a bug in my router firmware, not the game, that the manufacture later patched. Now that we were able to reproduce it 100% of the time we are able to attach a network capture device and figure out why.

Debugging isn't hard. Finding 100% reproducible cases can be hard when dealing with the huge variety and quality of Internet connection types and the dozens of router manufactures and firmware versions in use.

I continue to maintain that if we can get 100% reproducible cases, we can find and fix the problems.
        • Re: NAT Type: Open in MW2; Moderate in Black Ops-is this you?
          matthew888
          We shouldn't have to change anything. Its your job to fix it.
            ThePopesHat

matthew888 wrote:

Don't be a ******* ass. What do you think he's trying to do?
              Jambo15
              i've gone from open to strict since patch 1.04?
              anything i can do to fix it?
                STIZO99

matthew888 wrote:

It's called Troubleshooting....don't be an a$s.
                  I am working fine with the DMZ option, however to help out I just switched to a UPnP enabled configuration, with following NAT type Moderate as a result.

The router is a Draytek Vigor 2900V f/w version v2.5.9.1_(2)(3) with UPnP settings;

Enable Connection control Service
                  Enable Connection Status Service

----
                  UPnP active session table for my PS3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                       Private IP -Port #Pseudo Port         Peer IP -Port  Ifno  Status  
                      192.168.0.3 64319        42751 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  3479     3  0    
                      192.168.0.3 64319        42751 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  3479     3  0    
                      192.168.0.3 64319        42751 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  3478     3  0    
                      192.168.0.3   3074        47042 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  3074     3  0    
                      192.168.0.3   3074        47042 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  3074     3  0    
                      192.168.0.3 53986        65186 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  3074     3  6    
                      192.168.0.3 53990        65190 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  5223     3  6

---
                  DMZ active session table for my PS3 (for completeness sake)

Private IP -Port #Pseudo Port         Peer IP -Port  Ifno  Status  
                      192.168.0.3 64262        64262 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  3479     3  0    
                      192.168.0.3 64262        64262 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  3479     3  0    
                      192.168.0.3 64264        64264 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    53     3  0    
                      192.168.0.3 30752        30752 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 26875     3  0    
                      192.168.0.3 53883        53883 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    80     3  3    
                      192.168.0.3 53907        53907 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    80     3  2    
                      192.168.0.3  3074         3074 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  3074     3  0    
                      192.168.0.3  3074         3074 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  3075     3  0    
                      192.168.0.3 53899        53899 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  5223     3  6    
                      192.168.0.3 10050        10050 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  3478     3  0    
                      192.168.0.3  3074         3074 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  3074     3  0    
                      192.168.0.3 64230        64230 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  3074     3  0    
                      192.168.0.3 64240        64240 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  3075     3  0    
                      192.168.0.3     0            0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx     0     3  0    
                      192.168.0.3 53850        53850 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  3074     3  6    
                      192.168.0.3 64262        64262 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  3478     3  0    

ps. the UPnP interoperability between the same router and MW2 on the PS3 works fine for me
                    Yeah this worked for me went from strict NAT type to open.

Loaded all the way into single player quit out then ran multiplayer and it worked fine.

Hope this helps
                      jimmcy
                      Why is the NAT TYPE so important? I ask because I have NAT TYPE OPEN, my internet speed is 100mb down, 20 up, and still I have problems playing this game, like loby closed, etc etc etc.

Ohh, and if I’m host (which unfortunately I am most of the time) I can even play the game, the lag is sooo bad when we are hosting.
                        IRISnGEN
                        David,
                           Thanks, will try tonight when i get home. If you are free for testing shoot me a tweet, you have my @
                          nasatwoburn
                          I'm surprised you guys don't have QAs and hardware to test scenarios.  I myself work for a multi-national firm as a software developer.  lol if I go ask my clients to drop the database, reserve service ports etc...they'll ask "what have you guys been doing during FVT, SVT cycles?"  I'm surprised you passed FVT stage with such a crucial defect.  The fact remains all games on PS3 are fine including COD4, WaW, MW2 yet BO is having issue.  I'm puzzled you guys got it correct on WaW.  Cut the drama and tell us what is the deal?
                            SHANE523

jimmcy wrote:

Why is the NAT TYPE so important? I ask because I have NAT TYPE OPEN, my internet speed is 100mb down, 20 up, and still I have problems playing this game, like loby closed, etc etc etc.

Ohh, and if I’m host (which unfortunately I am most of the time) I can even play the game, the lag is sooo bad when we are hosting.

NAT = Network Address Translation

Your router is a firewall and blocks harmful packets meant to access your computers. When there are applications that require network access and you are confident they are safe you can allow those packets through. In order to do this to program the router to allow those packets through on a specific port to go to a specific device.

NAT1 or OPEN = All ports for that application are open for your device. For a gaming console this is good, nothing is being blocked.

NAT2 or Moderate = All NEEDED ports are open for your device. Again this is good for gaming because technically the NEEDED ports for the application are open.

NAT3 or Strict = Your device is behind a firewall and the firewall is blocking needed ports from allowing the necessary packets through.

Yes you can DMZ or port forward but it is critical that you understand this. Your PS3, ESPECIALLY IF YOU USE DMZ, is not in danger BUT a PC would be!!! A PC has services on it that if someone was to access because your PC is not protected by a firewall could access anything on your network. The PS3 does not have those services. So you MUST set your PS3 with a static IP address OUTSIDE the DHCP range!

I will try a couple things tonight if I get the chance to try and help out.

SHANE523 wrote:

jimmcy wrote:

NAT = Network Address Translation

Your router is a firewall and blocks harmful packets meant to access your computers. When there are applications that require network access and you are confident they are safe you can allow those packets through. In order to do this to program the router to allow those packets through on a specific port to go to a specific device.

NAT1 or OPEN = All ports for that application are open for your device. For a gaming console this is good, nothing is being blocked.

NAT2 or Moderate = All NEEDED ports are open for your device. Again this is good for gaming because technically the NEEDED ports for the application are open.

NAT3 or Strict = Your device is behind a firewall and the firewall is blocking needed ports from allowing the necessary packets through.

Yes you can DMZ or port forward but it is critical that you understand this. Your PS3, ESPECIALLY IF YOU USE DMZ, is not in danger BUT a PC would be!!! A PC has services on it that if someone was to access because your PC is not protected by a firewall could access anything on your network. The PS3 does not have those services. So you MUST set your PS3 with a static IP address OUTSIDE the DHCP range!

I will try a couple things tonight if I get the chance to try and help out.

It's in the all in the terminology used, but NAT type 2 is all ports required to run a specific service as "Open"... BUT this is application dependent. The XMB NAT type 2 only tests for PSN functionality, clearly other applications can have other requirements. This can be confusing though. Not all NAT is created equal so to speak.

NAT 1 simply means NO NAT this is not the same as having your device in the DMZ (bypassing the NAT firewall)
                                wkndplaya
                                I meet the listed criteria and the solution did not work. In addition, I have tried connecting the ps3 directly to the modem, setting up a dmz and port forwarding which only resulted in the following:

Ps3 network settings for  direct modem connection:
                                Nat type = 1
                                BOPS:
                                Nat type: moderate
                                mw2 with same configuration: nat type open.

Connection results when routered:
                                Nat Type : Type 2
                                Connection Speed (Download)* 13.5Mbps
                                Connection Speed (Upload)* 1.7Mps (according to speedtest.net that should be 2.1)

IRISnGEN
                                  I just hope the eventual permenant fix does not mean people have to un do all of these band aids that they have been doing.

I might sit this out a while especially since i am changing ISP's in two weeks, so why mess around with this router if i will have another one soon.
                                    McClueless1
                                    My friend and I each have Belkin routers, about 1 year old, similar - but different - models.   I set up both routers myself, all identical except for the wireless side - he likes his open, I like mine locked down.

Both of us have an ethernet connection to the PS3, static IP, UPnP enabled, latest firmware, no direct to Multiplayer until after the patch and tweaking of router.

Both of us were NAT Type 2, open in the XMB.  After 1.04, I stayed open, he went to Moderate.  I did a side-by-side comparison on router settings and the only differences were the wireless options, which should not apply.  Both of us had problems connecting to games, getting dropped, etc.

I put his PS3 in the DMZ and that switched it to open, played fine, and he could now take my invites for the first time since getting the game. (I could always take his.)   I then forwarded his ports and took it out of the DMZ, all worked the same and we played some great games.

He left and I immediately started having connection issues on my end - couldn't join, getting dumped, etc.  I forwarded my ports and have had great success ever since.
                                      Bayonneta
                                      I meet the conditions you describe
                                      These steps did not work for me
                                      My NAT still Strict in BO
                                      PS: i'm using wireless connection
                                        easynow
                                        i have followed instructions, still NAT type STRICT, while being WIRED
                                          This method did not work for me, however I put in MW2 and went and played one game of FFA, and then went on Black Ops and it it changed to Open, I even pulled host in the first game I joined which is rare for me, although it went into host migration for some reason after and it failed and kicked me out to the lobby.
                                            ps3king2010
                                            Thisn is happening to me
                                              THANK YOU!!! YOU ARE A GENIUS! i did exactly what you told to do and it worked perfectly! i had nat type moderate now its open thanks a bunch!
                                                easynow

easynow wrote:

i have followed instructions, still NAT type STRICT, while being WIRED

NAT type 2 for ps3 btw
                                                  AyrshireKillie
                                                  I have done what you said and it did not work for me. My nat type on MW2 is open and on BO it is strict. I have no issues playing MW2 or any other game online. oh and my nat type on ps3 is type 2
                                                    maupie11134
                                                    i have the same issuses as the person above me , What can i do ?  :shock:

matthew888 wrote:

Lol nice first reply

Vahn, please stop trying to act like it is OUR fault AGAIN.

Just stop.

Why is it that the Infinity Ward COD games work/still work fine, and Betreyarch made games that just fail all over the place?

I mean, YOUR games fail out loud.
                                                        macca4671
                                                        Another problem will be how people are using their routers vahn, after setting (port forwarding etc) a router with multipull connections they need to ensure they power everything that is connected to their routers down (perhaps even disconnect) so that nothing will show as being active/linked to the router, restart the router and let sync and then turn the ps3 on to play so that it's the first active device shown to the router and so allocated the proper port forwarded config that has been set up. I use a bt hub and that's a problem i had which became evident when i downloaded the patch as it said i was moderate and was getting disconnect after disconnect although i had previously set it up to have my ps3 as open.  So i disconnected everything but left my ps3 connected but turmed off at the power switch at the back, then restarted my router and let sync, turned on my ps3 and proceeded into the online multiplayer where it then said it was open and i've been able to play with very little problems. If they have a hub like mine they will probably need to do the power down and make the ps3 first active link everytime before going on to ensure the right config gets allocated to their ps3 as that's what i've been doing and so far it has worked great!! Thanks for the work so far!
                                                          Rorschach_101807
                                                          This would be better if I had someone over here that knew how to do this. I don't know how to do this.
                                                            BlinkSkater
                                                            Oh come on. I shouldnt have to mess freaking router just play the freaking game. IT'S YOUR JOB TO FIX IT.
                                                            Im freaking 14 years old.

matthew888 wrote:

dude, Vahn's telling us how to fix it, at least he cares about the ps3 community, unlike some treyarch employees (cough*Josh Olin*cough)

Bayonneta wrote:

You didn't meet the conditions if you have wireless.
                                                                  This is frustrating. My NAT Type is always OPEN even with wireless connection or wired, it doesn't solve the many other problems that this game has. Okay, NAT Type OPEN now what? I still can't get into a game without the lobby closing or host migrating or system freezing.  
                                                                  The main focus should be to fix the bigger issue.
                                                                    Brazzers26
                                                                    well i know this is crap but atleast Vahn keeps helping us (PS3 community) unlike some Betreyarch Dbags like the biggest Dbag Josh Olin.
                                                                    Vahn should be community manager.
                                                                      easynow
                                                                      bump so this doesnt get lost
                                                                        King_Hekas
                                                                        PS3 Slim 160GB
                                                                        100/100 Internet, no router just a cable.
                                                                        No problems with PC or any other games.
                                                                        NAT is Open

But, everytime, and I do mean everytime, I'm the host (9 out of 10 matches that start from lobby) I get a hard-freeze within 3-4min. When I'm not the host it works just fine, untill someone else gets the freeze (connection interuppted).

Did not have this problem before patch 1.03. 1.03 started it but sometimes it was, almost, ok to play. With 1.04 it's impossible to play unless I get thrown in to at match with the host already selected. But as soon as he leaves I become the host and it starts all over again =)

Please tell me this won't take another month to fix...
                                                                          sennalike

BlinkSkater wrote:

Oh come on. I shouldnt have to mess freaking router just play the freaking game. IT'S YOUR JOB TO FIX IT.
                                                                          Im freaking 14 years old.

Well you just keep waiting for Vahn to pop round and sort your router out for you then, perhaps if your tv or monitor breaks Vahn could fix that too - just so you can play the freakin game.

In the mean time I will carry on enjoying the game.
                                                                            Bayonneta

Vahn wrote:

Bayonneta wrote:

You didn't meet the conditions if you have wireless.

Then think and test something for wireless users.
                                                                              JonTaylor
                                                                              My NAT Type on Black Ops has been open since the start, but I still have REALLY bad problems. Are you saying if NAT Type is open these problems shouldn't occur/ should occur less?
                                                                                Elascador
                                                                                Sweet! Thanks! I don't have a open connection thought, it's moderate on mw2 and it's ok. But in Black Ops it sometimes gets to strict, this happend AFTER I put Start MP on default, so I turned it off and now it's moderate! Thanks so much!
                                                                                  IRISnGEN
                                                                                  Vahn,
                                                                                      Here is what I did last night.

I have a PS Slim, wireless set up using a Linksys E2000, no DMZ, no forwarding

I did your steps and in BlackOps my type still showed moderate.

Here is the kicker.

I saw youe note about upgrading my routers firmware, So i checked it out and I was one rev behind. I attempted to upgrade the firmware and for some unknown reason it failed.

So when I saw that I said **** it, I'll just deal with the game and set up as is. about an hour later i went to play and to my amazment the NAT type in Black Ops was now OPEN.

I have no clue, just complying with adding details here.
                                                                                    TG617
                                                                                    I changed all my setting when I first bought this game thinking it was my NAT (moderate) causing my lag, MP issues.

I went ahead and assigned my PS3 a static IP ( if you do this give your PS3 a high enough number, 80 for example as it's unlikely you will have 80 devices on your network) 

Then I put that IP into a DMZ on my POS Actiontec router (thanks FIOS) Ran a few connection tests and my speed had greatly improved from 9-11mbps to 17-20 mbps. And of course my NAT is now open.

This improved the online play quite a bit. It's not COMPLETELY fixed but better. Since I usually have the best connection in my group, I host. Which sucks because I lag to ****.
                                                                                      IRISnGEN
                                                                                      Concidering how many changes are being done by users and how many hot fixes will come out, I would suggest anyone who has not made  change to leave your set up as is.
                                                                                        imGibbs
                                                                                        (1) one of those people who have reported that MW2 says the NAT is OPEN but BLACKOPS says the NAT is MODERATE
                                                                                        (6) are not currently port fowarding or DMZed, just trying to use UPnP like "most people" OR you are willing to temporarily change your router to not use that set up

(just tested 19h55)
                                                                                        1  MW2 open . BO is open
                                                                                        2 i did canceled it
                                                                                        3 yes
                                                                                        4 yes/no
                                                                                        5 wireless
                                                                                        6 yes

around 19h
                                                                                        1 yes
                                                                                        2 yes
                                                                                        3 yes
                                                                                        4 yes/no
                                                                                        5 wireless
                                                                                        6 yes
                                                                                          King_Hekas
                                                                                          Me and my friends have done some testing on our own today.. We all have slim PS3's and 100/100 or 100/10 connections thru cable and with NAT OPEN.
                                                                                          We all suffer from the same problem, being; everytime we become the host our PS3's will freeze. I am not exaggerating, everytime! With our connections we become the host like 60-70% of the times as well.

But! There is no problem at all being the host as long as we don't do anything. Today I hosted 7 matches in a row while just sitting in a corner hoping no one would find me =) As long as I don't touch the controller after 2mins have passed the hosting works perfect. My friends tested 4-5 matches with the same result. The 8'th match I sat completely still in a corner of Hanoi for the first 7min, the I started playing and voilá, 10sec before the match should have ended it frooze up, again, like always.. Reboot and another try at PLAYING as the host, freeze!

So, in my little world where the knowledge of programming doesn't even exist, this "testing" tells me that I don't (really) have a problem.
                                                                                          If you have NAT OPEN and a good connection you can actually be the host (but not play). The problem must be somewhere between the people who doesn't have NAT OPEN and thoose of us who have. When they try to connect to us something goes wrong (to much info while we are playing on our own?) with the hosting PS3.
                                                                                          So, why are the players who doesn't have NAT OPEN even aloud to log on to multiplayer? Why can't you just ban them leaving them some sort of message about their connection?
                                                                                            imGibbs
                                                                                            If you are:

Did another test 21h05 reboot router switched off ps3
                                                                                            1 Yes
                                                                                            2 No
                                                                                            3 Yes
                                                                                            4 Yes/No
                                                                                            5 I am wireless
                                                                                            6 Yes

Started up PS3 > start up BO > go to MP > nat Moderate
                                                                                            Back to main menu > press start  > go back to MP > options select nat open

One time i did the same as above then it asked me this > (once it asked me to accept my sound screen settings)
                                                                                              qfullmer
                                                                                              This was their way of distracting us all while they cant fix the real problems!...........which there are MANY!!!
                                                                                                xxx_gitem_bloc_xxx
                                                                                                Honestly i'm tech savy and i've opened my nat last night. took about a half hour to do because my router was acting retarted. i hate to forward port and host a dmz. i was able to open it and i have my ps3 on the network through the ethernet cable, it's the only thing on my network while i play black ops and i haven't noticed much of a difference. the in-game lag is still there, and often i am unable to connect to the host or and i get booted when migrating host. i've even gotten a weird error last night. "UNABLE TO CONNECT BECAUSE THE NUMBER OF DISSCONNECTED PATH'S HAVE BEEN EXCEEDED." this was before i opened my nat. i'm not doing anything else to my network or console to modify it to black ops requirements. it should already be compatible for exceptional gameplay if you at least have a decent internet connection. i'm going to keep playing but i have to say that this barely makes any difference in gameplay.
                                                                                                  Thought I would post this because it seems to have worked for my problem at least. (must have MW2 for this to work )

My problem was I had always had an OPEN NAT TYPE and after the 1.04 patch it had gone to MODERATE, and I wanted to try to get it back to OPEN.

So I first disabled the load multiplayer by default option then quit out of Black Ops. Next I put in MW2 and loaded all the way up to multiplayer as if I was going to find a game. I saw my NAT TYPE in mw2 and it was OPEN. I then ejected the disc, and inserted black ops once black ops loaded up I went into multiplayer and my NAT type was back to a OPEN setting.

My guess is that the load multiplayer by default is causing the problem I received, (haven't turned it back on yet to test if it will put me back to a Moderate NAT Type).

I have reset my system a few times since I did this and it is still staying as an OPEN NAT Type.

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem that I had.
                                                                                                    This helped me out tremendously. I've been wandering why my NAT type changed so quickly, but after disabling load multiplayer by default it's right back to open.  A little sacrifice can go a long way lol.  It'd be nice if that option wouldn't have that effect in the future but it's not that big of a deal.  Thank you Vahn and 3arc for figuring this out. 
                                                                                                      Evensen1
                                                                                                      I met the conditions

It did not help

btw, I had open before and after 1.04 patch, but it changed to strict during the last weekend when they put in a new live update.