1 2 3 Previous Next 152 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2015 11:01 AM by BlackHawkxx RSS

Hard freeze - is this caused by lots of explosions?

I get asked a lot, "What are you doing about the freeze?"  The truth is that people continue to use the term "freeze" to mean different things so I don't know how to reply. One freeze is not the same as another.

This is my official "hard freeze" thread.

I've heard this can happen when lots of explosions going off in the map. Does that sound accurate? Does it happen on some maps more than others? For example, Summit has a lot of glass in it. More so than most other maps. Do you freeze playing Summit more than Nuketown?

These type of details will help us out.

Please only post in this thread if you experienced a complete, 100% hard freeze during the game itself. Not in the lobby, or while you were in the XMB during a lobby. Do not post your experience if you have a the "infinite loading freeze." I have a separate thread about that.

People report problems all the time, but what they don't necessary do is articulate what was going on when the problem happened. Just knowing about the problem isn't enough. We need intel on what caused the problem in the first place so it can be researched and debugged.

As always, troll this thread and you will end up ignored at best and banned at worse. My focus here is on finding and fixing this (and other) problems. I have other threads running to describe other problems.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar

UPDATE 1 - DEC 20, 2010

Thanks to your help we've been able to find a reproduceable case for the hard freeze on a game client and successfully been able to get a crash dump from a test kit. Although this is not as good as a getting the crash in the debugger on a development kit, it's still very useful.

Naturally, I don't expect anyone to understand what it means or takes to identify, find, and get crashes in the development environment. Most of you just want to be able to play the game without a hard freeze. I understand that entirely.

It's why we have been pounding on this problem and I started this thread in the first place.

You'll have to trust me when I say that although a problem may happen to you frequently in the world when you play, it doesn't neccessarily mean that we can see what you are seeing. It is technically impossible to debug the problem in the "retail" environment on retail kits. We use the retail environment simply so that we can try and see what you are seeing and understand it. Once we do, we have to switch over to the development environment and development kits and tools.

Because we have a crash dump from a PS3 test kit and not a Crash in the debugger, we don't know what specfically causes the problem. We do, however, have solid ideas on how to prevent the problem from freezing the game.

Engineering is currently investigating.

Realistically, because of the holidays, even if we could generate a fix for this in the next 24 hours, it will be difficult to get that past Sony who will be shut down until after the holiday.

We remain committing to working with the community through the major issues facing the PS3. As soon as I can realistically update you on when we have a fix, we've tested that fix, and we get that fix to Sony, we will update you.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar
        • 1. Re: Hard freeze - is this caused by lots of explosions?
          Pinoy-
          "Hard freeze" happened a couple of times to me. This happened when I picked up a gun, threw my semtex and then it froze. Hard Freezing also happens, sometimes after in-game host migration.

Oh. I also noticed two things when I was playing. The textures for example walls loads slower? It looked a bit blurry. The second one would be, if you try placing Rolling thunder in the middle of the map ( B Flag on Summit ) and get someone to drop Napalm after that, you'll notice fps drop. Many things happening at once might be one of the reason of fps drop, I'm not sure.

Playing in 1080i display settings at the moment and I noticed some lag when I was ADSing. Never happend to me when it's in 720p. I don't know if the tv or not. Just updating what I noticed. 

Just played a game of domination:

Host

Display Settings:1080i

69 kills 10 deaths. The game and ps3 froze at 70th kill.

FPS drops experienced when I ADS, used Napalam and Rolling thunder. 

The "Boom" sound for the grenades is too much by the way.
          • 2. Re: Hard freeze - is this caused by lots of explosions?
            JCorbine
            I've had it freeze up multiple times out of nowhere.  Usually I believe I'm the host at the time, but it still blows that when I'm running around and getting wasted that the game hard freezes and I have to wait a couple more minutes to jump back in.
            • 3. Re: Hard freeze - is this caused by lots of explosions?
              I've had Hard freezes also. But i dont realy know why.
              It's always happened when i do good, or am on a killstreak.
              Explosives isnt the problem for me because most of the time i freeze in game is when i'm shooting at somebody.
              • 4. Re: Hard freeze - is this caused by lots of explosions?
                DeZNutZ52

Vahn wrote:

I get asked a lot, "What are you doing about the freeze?"  The truth is that people continue to use the term "freeze" to mean different things so I don't know how to reply. One freeze is not the same as another.

This is my official "hard freeze" thread.

I've heard this can happen when lots of explosions going off in the map. Does that sound accurate? I really need to get on the same page with you as I've never had a "hard freeze" in any game I've played, so I am not 100% clear on what people mean by this.

Please only post in this thread if you experienced a complete, 100% hard freeze during the game itself. Not in the lobby, or while you were in the XMB during a lobby. Do not post your experience if you have a the "infinite loading freeze." I have a separate thread about that.

People report problems all the time, but what they don't necessary do is articulate what was going on when the problem happened. Just knowing about the problem isn't enough. We need intel on what caused the problem in the first place so it can be researched and debugged.

As always, troll this thread and you will end up ignored at best and banned at worse. My focus here is on finding and fixing this (and other) problems. I have other threads running to describe other problems. Don't threadjack complaining how your stats were reset "unfairly" or whatever else is on your mind.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar

I have had several but none since the last hotfix, but I also dropped my ps3 from dmz to help avoid getting the host which is the only time it freezes for me.  I have an 80gig fat ps3 running wired lan from ps3 to the router, 25/3 connection w/ docsys 3.0  Motorola cable modem & Asus Router running USB tomato firmware. There doesn't seem to be any sequence that gives foresight that it's about to happen.  The last time some guy called in a cobra attack helicopter and that was when it froze on the map villa.

EDIT: This was in Hardcore Team Deathmatch
                • 5. Re: Hard freeze - is this caused by lots of explosions?
                  THEICEMAN1984
                  the very 1st freeze (hard freeze) i had was a team m8 was down (2nd chance) went to pick him up and it just froze up totally had turn off the ps from the back could'nt enter the dashboard and the other freezes have been just as im about to enter a game getting the loading screen up looks as tho its doin the infinite loading thing but then every thing stops cant access dash tried leaving it for a while but no joy so same again had to turn ps off from the back
                  • 6. Re: Hard freeze - is this caused by lots of explosions?
                    OriginalCripler
                    Mine happens different times. 3 or 4 times at the treyarch, activision launch screen. I've had freezes when patch 1.04 come out always at the final screen before multiplayer the playstation connect screen. Alot of the times it is after match is over and u get the little disc spinning in right corner going back to lobby and sometimes when the counter reaches zero. I'm using a 120gb slim hardwired with a 15mbs down and 1mbs up if it helps.
                    • 7. Re: Hard freeze - is this caused by lots of explosions?
                      Echion
                      From my experience it isn't really tied to specific maps, I've had it happen on every map. Most of the time with an explosion.

An example video of one of my freezes is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A28dDqN6SSc

It can happen in the first game after I turned on the system, or after 2-3 hours of solid play. It can also happen that you get 6 freezes in an hour.
                      Most of the time these freezes happen just after you heard an explosion.
                      • 8. Re: Hard freeze - is this caused by lots of explosions?
                        quarxar
                        Hard freeze happened to me 3 times, All in s&d games near the beginning of the rounds, summit was one of the maps. I run to a position, put down claymore, throw stun, and frag. Game did not hard freeze until I ADS to finish off target. Every time I was the host. The friends I was playing the game with would get the "lost connection to host" message whenever this happened, but they would not experience the hard freeze.
                        • 9. Re: Hard freeze - is this caused by lots of explosions?
                          JPorcello
                          By "hard freeze", I assume you are referring to the game freezing which requires that the PS3 unit must be power-cycled to free it up.  If so, I have had this occur without there being anything "special" (like alot of explosions, flying debris, etc) at all going on.  I will certainly try to pay closer attention to whether or not it occurs on one map more than others, but I do not have a sense or feeling that this is the case in my experiences.

Thank you for taking the time to look into this issue.  I am an older, long-time gamer and have thoroughly enjoyed all of the COD titles, and continue to.  This "hard freeze" issue, requiring the power-cycling of the PS3 unit, is my biggest concern with this game, as I feel it is most likely to have the possibility of damaging the actual electronic hardware.
                          1 2 3 Previous Next