1 2 3 Previous Next 421 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2011 1:04 PM by hoppefalcon RSS

Gameplay Update (version 1.06 and beyond)

I had hoped by this time in the game life-cycle we would be engaged in a series of constructive debates about the game tuning. Tweaking a few things one way or the other.

These are some of the key things on our minds. The ones in bold are done already as of Jan 5th.

We think the AK74U grip variant re-center speed is too quick. Although the tuning in line with other grip variant weapons, the gun itself has a very perfectible kick and other attributes or attachments that make it a popular weapon to use. We have slightly de-tuned the AK74u grip for version 1.06.

We are considering giving full kill credit to the guy who drops someone in Second Chance and Assist credit for someone who finishes them off. We are also considering allowing you to only be revived one time. We are even considering increasing the revive time.
      - Forum users like to complain about the "invulnerability period" when someone is dropping. I found where this happens. It's in code and not script which is why I didn't see it originally. We need to think about this one clearly. I went through the revision history. Any attempts to remove the "0.5" seconds of invulnerability mean the guy with Second Chance will likely never be given his Second Chance. Removal of this entirely will all but remove the perk from the game (which I know many of you would prefer in the first place, but it's something we are not yet ready to do). This "0.5" seconds is consistent with the previous games and is not any longer or shorter.

We are evaluating the RC-XD minimum and maximum damage and damage radius and it's movement speed. Changing the kill requirement isn't feasible at this time.

We are largely okay with the sniper rifle and knife tuning at this time. No changes are currently planned for either of these for version 1.06.

Please note that I may not necessarily read every reply to this thread. Every day we go to work to fight glitches, cheaters, hackers, "bad judgment" emblem makers, and the like. We mostly work on genuine bugs and connectivity, party, and matchmaking issues. We also have a very aggressive DLC strategy and desire to do some unique things with the level designs of those maps. In-between all that, and when not covering for co-workers who are getting a well-deserved break, we work on gameplay finesse.

It is studio boss Mark Lamia's vision that this be the most well supported Call of Duty MP game in the history of the franchise. This is a tall order but it is exactly what we are going to continue to do. The scale of the game is massive. On any given day, we have dozens of things to deal with. Nothing prepares you for that except living it. And we are. With experience we will get better at it.

As of this morning, nearly 20,000 of you now follow me on Twitter. Although this is a tiny percentage of the online population on a typical day, it is getting increasingly difficult to respond to all your questions, concerns, and thoughts. Please don't take it personally if I don't respond to you. At least for now, I am still able to read every single message you send even if I can't respond to everyone. During the month of January, I will make a concentrated effort to update you with a "blog" style post like this every Wednesday +/- a day and see how that goes and what the reaction is like.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar

Update 1: Corrected text for clarity on AK74U grip tuning.
      Update 2: Updated status/notes on Second Chance.
        • 1. Re: Gameplay Update (version 1.06 and beyond)

Vahn wrote:

We are considering giving full kill credit to the guy who drops someone in Second Chance and Assist credit for someone who finishes them off.

Nice one. Overdue.

Edit - Second chance update makes sense, as a user of this perk and as someone who has been on the wrong side of that 0.5 second invulnerability, it makes perfect sense. Win some, lose some.

Cheers for continued updates.
          • 2. Re: Gameplay Update (version 1.06 and beyond)
            gazdagod
            99.99% of the time i get killed by AK74u i look at kill cam and the player has warlord, and from experience im guessing its rapid fire and grip.

its the slow fire rate and the poor accuracy thats suppose to balance the gun however a rapid fire and grip combo makes this gun perfect.

i also dont understand the grenade launcher on an SMG.
            • 3. Re: Gameplay Update (version 1.06 and beyond)
              LadiesManXtreme
              Oh heavenly blessed beauty, whose inner beauty is simply divine and everlasting, I would love to be your knight in shining armor. If you want to talk to a good friend, honest, sweet and tender, you can do with me at any moment, I am a good person, kind, loyal and sincere. My friendship that I offer you is clean and transparent. I congratulate to you, because you are very beautiful, your beauty, your charming figure, your pleasant and angelical smile, your personality, your happiness, your charm, your kindness, your beautiful eyes, your lips soft and exquisite, delicate your hands, your legs precious Your beautiful, spectacular and divine body, you have all these qualities and more, you are a wonderful and perfect man, your gaze is tender and sweet, penetrating my soul. The beauty of a rose has no comparison with the sweetness of your face and the beauty of your heart. I am of the people, I like to have a good relationship with all my friends.

I'm one of the few people, maybe the only, that can see through your exterior, I know when you're hurting. Correction, i feel when you're hurting, if you talk to me, i can help you through it, i can assist with your healing. I will never pressure you, but know that you never have to put up a front with me, I know at work you may have to and maybe sometimes in your house, but never with me. I've learned we all grieve differently. I care, more than you can ever imagine and more than i can ever show. I know sometimes it feels like you're standing still and the world around you is moving forward now. It's a tough feeling. Know that i'm standing still right next to you. I haven't budged an inch. I want to give you your space but at the same time want you to know that if sometimes you need someone to listen, even for a moment, i am here. I'm prepared to help you through your rollercoaster of emotions. That is the purpose of the this text. People may move on and lose sight of where you are. I never will. Genuine words from me to you.
              • 4. Re: Gameplay Update (version 1.06 and beyond)
                ball ache2008
                Think this would solve many of the issues i see addressed on the forums. Genuinely happy with the game but you keep tweaking and investigating but most importantly communicating (as you are) you can bank on my support   
                • 5. Re: Gameplay Update (version 1.06 and beyond)
                  I love you Vahn. I love you.

Just for THINKING about the Second Chance assist system.
                  • 6. Re: Gameplay Update (version 1.06 and beyond)

As of this morning, nearly 20,000 of you now follow me on Twitter. Although this is a tiny percentage of the online population on a typical day, it is getting increasingly difficult to respond to all your questions, concerns, and thoughts. Please don't take it personally if I don't respond to you. At least for now, I am still able to read every single message you send even if I can't respond to everyone. During the month of January, I will make a concentrated effort to update you with a "blog" style post like this every Wednesday +/- a day and see how that goes and what the reaction is like.

I don't know how feasible this idea would be, but instead of just making a Blog Style post once a week, it might be more prudent and effective to just set-up an actual Blog on the Call of Duty website where you, or anyone from the development team who has time, can add new things to it. This way it doesn't fall squarely on you, and we get a chance to interact with other various members from different departments and see their opinions on things aswell.

If that isn't an option right now, then even this would be a welcome addition to the forums. As the saying goes, "Bad news is better than no news.". I would rather hear something that I don't necessarily agree with, than hear nothing at all regarding the updates or status of things. With that said however, these upcoming changes and discussions about the changes are sounding promising.

My main gripes lately have just been the AK74 and Second Chance. And with both of those being at least looked into, its reassuring. In regards to Second Chance in particular, If you can't find anything in the programming that gives an invincibility period, then perhaps its just a side effect. I would see if there is any way to check the "state" the the player is in during the transition. Are they momentarily considered dead, but then given an extra point of health? If so, then it could be that before that extra point of health is registered, our bullets simply don't effect them because they're already at 0 health.

That's just a guess on my part, but I thought it worth mentioning just incase.
                    • 7. Re: Gameplay Update (version 1.06 and beyond)
                      gazdagod
                      Second chance and assist points idea i like and once to revive. ive had second chance been revived 3 or 4 times in a life and therefore got my 11 killstreak which must be frustration to other players. its SECOND chance NOT third, fourth, fifth chance.

i notice people who have second chance on require more bullets to put them into second chance.

RC-XD is fine i think its balanced by being open to be shot when driving the RC and also your wasting time driving around when you could be killing and UAV is a much better option for you and your team.

tuning of hit detection would be nice.

thanks for your update Vahn.
                      • 8. Re: Gameplay Update (version 1.06 and beyond)
                        Full credit to the person who drops the SC user is an epic idea, and really should have been in place since Last Stand was introduced.
                        Technically, MOST of the damage done, is by the person dropping them into SC and the person who puts one round into them is only helping, thus an assist is most appropriate for them.

I like the revive time, because I don't use it often, but I'm glad to help those who do. Please don't put me at further risk when I'm trying to be a medic. I do condone the single-cycle idea, only allowing one Second Chance per spawn, which is more appropriate for the name considering it's not Third, Fourth, Fifth Chance if you're hiding behind a wall.

I also like the idea, although not mentioned here, of having a blur/stun effect on people as they go into, and while they are in, Second Chance.
                        Much like the slow motion/disorientation of an explosion that doesn't kill you.
                        Your visibility and control should be difficult, because you just caught a belly full of lead. You're not going to be Bruce Lee on the reflexes after getting shot down.

Thanks David! Tell Mr. Lamia I said thanks a ton for his commitment and, subsequently, your commitment to supporting this title.
                        • 9. Re: Gameplay Update (version 1.06 and beyond)
                          scarlet_pimp
                          Shotguns could use some love the stakeout in particular feels very bad.
                          LMGs all need a slight boost somewhere.
                          FAMAS could do with a slight nerf and
                          Also please add hardcore mosh pit with all game modes besides TDM.
                          Some new game types would be good too, been playing these games for 4 years now, look at Day of Defeat for a cool game type that would play well in CoD.
                          1 2 3 Previous Next