1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 64 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2011 6:34 PM by iron reaver Go to original post RSS
      • 20. Re: Wii Disc Drive Failures and How Nintendo is Helping Out
        ~iSEEu~
        Thanks for the info!  I'm not so worried about having my Wii broken or repaired now.
        • 21. Re: Wii Disc Drive Failures and How Nintendo is Helping Out
          TheSnipeGod

What a fvcking idiot. Why spend $220 when you could have had it repaired for at most $85 and now for free. This is the funniest thing I have read on the boards all day.

Troll
          • 22. Re: Wii Disc Drive Failures and How Nintendo is Helping Out

TheSnipeGod wrote:

What a fvcking idiot. Why spend $220 when you could have had it repaired for at most $85 and now for free. This is the funniest thing I have read on the boards all day.

Troll

your trolling just saying Troll 
            • 23. Re: Wii Disc Drive Failures and How Nintendo is Helping Out

enfieldpwn1 wrote:

godsmack(the original) wrote:

enfieldpwn1 wrote:

no!!!!!!!!!!! u mean to tell me a bought a brand new wii with extended warranty for 220$ (christmas money and savings and selling some games)  and i cud hav got it repaired for  free with new game!!!??????? fml!!!!!!

i bought a new one due to the fact that my old 1 was modded and nintendo wud not fix it.

Then why would you say that you could have had it repaired for free? They won't repair a modded console for free.
              • 24. Re: Wii Disc Drive Failures and How Nintendo is Helping Out
                Same thing happened to me, shipped it out last week and is due back on thursday of this week.  Did not cost me a penny, unless you count gas.  Nintendo has great customer service and as long as you have the warranty you won't be charged for the repairs.  Thanks Nintendo for being a great company. 
                • 25. Re: Wii Disc Drive Failures and How Nintendo is Helping Out
                  Karuwing
                  What happens if I'm not from U.S.A and Canada??? (I'm still on America, to be exact, Costa Rica), I got the black screen error yesterday and I'm going to buy the cleaning kit today to see if it works, but if there is more problems with this, I can send it to them and they will repair it?

In other words, will Nintendo support me even if I'm not in those countries???
                  • 26. Re: Wii Disc Drive Failures and How Nintendo is Helping Out
                    GSBJS

McMurphy wrote:

BJS, a GS* Leader, pointed out to me that the Nintendo Wii Black Ops community at large has been going back and forth about the subject matter, and the information may be helpful for all Wii gamers.  He was far too polite to start that statement with, "Hey, Selfish Bastard..."

Glad to see you share this information over here Murph. I've waded through a myriad of posts here; regarding this very topic in case the unfortunate issue happens with my console. While the experiences have been mixed between members of this community, as well as over at our site, I think the benefit of this thread is a clear and concise detailing of one's personal experience, and how it may help others.

I'm not going to debate what is breaking what, but I have my own theories which are not verified and may not even be valid in the slightest.

If Nintendo is sending new copies of the disk, and is stating that it is only occurring with certain copies of the game, it makes me believe that the data locations on the disk may vary. This could be the result of everything from replicators (burners) to the master copies themselves.

If you think in terms of a regular disk drive, highly fragmented disks will make your system/drive work exponentially harder to retrieve the information eventually leading to drive failure if not accounted for.

Seeing as the WiiOps version of this game primarily runs off of the disk (read: lack of any substantial amount of RAM), It could very well be the placement of the data, disc format, noncontiguous files, file corruption, etc, on the disc that requires the optical drive to work a bit harder to locate and read what the game needs. For example; if one piece of data is located on the outer perimeter of the disc, and it (the game) needs to read a texture file on the inner perimeter of the disk, the optical drive needs to move quite a bit... While this type of drive utilization is standard, BO definitely pushes the console to its outer limits...  Multiply the constant drive utilization by the hours of game time, and you might find that the game in its current format on disk is over-stressing the drive to the point that they fail. I think the one thing we can all agree on is that it 'sounds' like the optical drive is really working hard during game-play.

Again, this is just a theory. I cannot speak directly to the way BO discs are formatted, what files are where, or how Activision could go about optimizing it, if the above is found to be true.

GS*BJS
                    • 27. Re: Wii Disc Drive Failures and How Nintendo is Helping Out
                      McMurphy
                      Final Update (1/20/2011):  My Nintendo Wii console is fixed, plugged in, and already had a few test drives.  I am happy to report that nearly all of the Nintendo Representative's promises came to being.  Below is a bit of a finalized checklist of the initial claims made by Nintendo on the service call I had with them and the end result. 

Key:

[+] - Initial claims matches end result.
                      [-] - Initial claims did not match end result.
                      [N/A] - Information present during end result not discussed in initial claims.

[+] Cost of Repair - The repair and shipping costs were indeed completely paid for by Nintendo.  Coupled with the fact that my warranty has been expired for quite some time, this seems to confirm Nintendo's claim that they have an open case with the Black Ops game.

[+] Process Time - Nintendo said it would take 2-3 weeks for the entire process (including shipping to and from the repair shop), and even shorter for California residents.  I sent out my console on 1/14/2011 and had it arrive via UPS at 4:30pm (Pacific) on 1/19/2011.  That is a five day difference, which is even more impressive if one factors in that two of those days were over a weekend.

[+] Repairing the Disc Drive - Nintendo did, in fact, replace the disc drive in my Nintendo Wii console (Part # 61968, Console Assy White RVL).  I have tested and confirmed the repairs.

[-] A Black Ops Replacement Disc - The disc sent with the repaired console appears to be the same game disc of Black Ops that I sent with the repair.  According to the Wii log (accessed via the Wii Calendar at the bottom corner of the Wii Lobby screen), the Nintendo technicians had only tested out Black Ops in the console for one minute on 1/17/2011.  Nintendo claimed that only certain copies of the game has created disc drive failures, and, due to that, I would be getting a replacement copy of Black Ops.  In the description field for services performed (located on the Work Order receipt), it only noted "Exchanged System" and "Test & Insp to MFG Specs."  There was no mention of disc exchange.  The proceeding details seem to support the opinion that disc drive failures are more likely caused by the software creating undue and exaggerated wear and tear on the disc drive, not because of a specific glitch found on a certain generation of disc production.  If true, it does not speak well for any Nintendo Wii owner currently playing Black Ops.

[N/A] Renewed Warranty - The repair comes with a one year warranty on the new disc drive.  A new serial number issued for the console and a service guarantee is printed on the work order receipt.  Additionally, a sticker reading, "This product has been individually inspected and tested to ensure it is of the highest quality and comes with a one year manufacturer's warranty," was placed on the the packaging sleeve wrapped around the Nintendo console.

[+] Game Data Would Be Saved - The Nintendo Representative claimed, because they knew that the damage was created by Black Ops, he was fairly certain that game data would not need to be wiped during the repair process.  That claim was true.  All my saved progress for all my games were still saved on the Nintendo Wii console.

[N/A] Miscellaneous Adjustments - There were a few things I needed to regain/reset after hooking up the system.  I had to sync the Wiimotes, reset the Wii's clock, re-establish internet connection settings (my saved internet settings profiles were still there but it was set on a temporary one created by the techs), and re-download my Wii Channels from the Wii Shop, such as the Internet, Nintendo, Everyone Votes, Netflix, etc.  With that in mind, I would recommend moving all the games you have downloaded from the Nintendo Shop onto a SD card prior to sending it out for repair because you will need to take the time to re-download those as well.  A quick way to do that is to click the "Titles You've Downloaded" button on the front page of the Wii Shop menu.  You just go down the list and download them again.  You are NOT being charged again; once initially purchased, a person can delete and re-download the games they bought as many times as he/she wish.

*This information is being added to the initial post as well.

I hope my little case study on my own personal experience has come to good use by other Nintendo Wii owners.  For full information, see the first post of this topic.

-GS*McMurphy
                      • 28. Re: Wii Disc Drive Failures and How Nintendo is Helping Out
                        Once again, great post, and thanks for being as thorough as you have been.   The fact that they did not replace the disc does not surprise me, as this was the first time I have heard of anyone say Nintendo claimed some discs were defective. 

Again, I agree the game can casue premature wear of componenets, but would not consider that a fault with the game, as it is not causing any damage that would not occur given enough time with any other game, it is simple accelerating the inevitable.

Ironically, while I have not had any issue at all with the game besides some post launch connection problems, I do hope to see my Wii fall to the same fate, if for no other reason, then to get the one year warranty...
                        • 29. Re: Wii Disc Drive Failures and How Nintendo is Helping Out
                          McMurphy

kweagle wrote:

Ironically, while I have not had any issue at all with the game besides some post launch connection problems, I do hope to see my Wii fall to the same fate, if for no other reason, then to get the one year warranty...

Haha! True enough!  That was what I was thinking as well.  It might as well happen now rather than a few years from now at a time I would just simply be SOL.  That said, I am in disagreement over whether or not a consumer should find it reasonable for software to cause a significantly shorted lifespan for a piece of hardware without fair warning prior to the point of sale.  Each, their own.
                          1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next