28 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2012 11:07 PM by snapr68 RSS

The real REAL problem with sniping.

CrayHD
      There is just one single prolem with sniping and you can't deny that:

Even if you are the skilled sniper ever, the Treyarch sniper patch will REDUCE your skill level. You can't counter their patch with any hard tricks etc. You just aren't allowed to be as good as you really are and that's the real problem.
        • Re: The real REAL problem with sniping.
          inb4 quickscoping isn't skill & snipers shouldn't dominate at close range (but smgs and ARs should be able to outshoot snipers at range)

WAAAAAAAAAAAT
            ball ache2008
            Yes its true. It has forced snipers to adopt new techniques to try to adapt to the patch but it has rendered us slightly weaker then we might have been. I however will accept this punishment to limit the amount of snipers on the battlefield let alone the faster scopers (not mentioning it). What is a shame is that the other classes have not recieved an equal punishment, recoil has increased but not as much to even the playing field. I would like to see idle sway on all weapons but maybe that is a pipe dream.
              CrayHD

ball ache2008 wrote:

Yes its true. It has forced snipers to adopt new techniques to try to adapt to the patch but it has rendered us slightly weaker then we might have been. I however will accept this punishment to limit the amount of snipers on the battlefield let alone the faster scopers (not mentioning it). What is a shame is that the other classes have not recieved an equal punishment, recoil has increased but not as much to even the playing field. I would like to see idle sway on all weapons but maybe that is a pipe dream.

But how can you accept that they are actually reducing your true skill. No matter how good you are in sniping, the update will make you worse.
                I Hybris I
                Sniping is fine,

Sniping is not broken.

People who deny this --> play another game.

I Hybris I wrote:

Sniping is fine,

Sniping is not broken.

Sniping is so good on BO that you should play another game and snipe there instead, BO's sniping will just blow your mind due to its perfection.
                    ball ache2008

CrayHD wrote:

ball ache2008 wrote:

But how can you accept that they are actually reducing your true skill. No matter how good you are in sniping, the update will make you worse.

My true skill lies in my power to adapt and use the tools given to me to the best of my ability. If you took me as a sniper in MW2 and then me in BO with the relevant in game mechanics my MW2 self would win, no doubt. However they are two different games and because of this i accept i must adapt and change. To be fair i am playing a computer game with my thumbs, if i was out there with a real rifle it would be much harder for me then it is on the game at present so the game actually makes sniping easier for me. It's just the other CoD's made it much easier to be a sniper.

Although it is more difficult it just means i get more satisfaction from it and i also find that i am more unique then the average player because i do snipe.
                      lawson466
                      Old but funny still:  If it where realistic - sniping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w11boxngR78

BTW, real sniping (not quick scoping) is just camping on steroids.  I hate snipers with a passion.  I'd much rather have 5 corner campers in a game than one decent long range sniper.  You cannot see him,  get cannot get to him even once you know where he is.  For him, this is a good thing.  But for the rusher, it's a pain in the a$$.  Personally I do not see where they add to the game in any way.  Encouraging camping in a FPS is never a good thing.  I know many many people will disagree with my catorization of snipers as campers.  But if you look at it in any kind of objective way,  they can be nothing else.  They get in an advantagous spot, hiding, and wait for a victim to come within their field of view, then...pow with no gun fight, no chance for the other person to fight back or even know they were there.  How is this not the same thing as someone camping in a room pointing at a doorway?  All the same principles apply.  Of course, quick scoping is different (which I won't rant about here).  But I have to say that real snipers are only just above infinite noob tubers on my most hated list.

But they are in the game by design.  And I'm not going to piss and whine until the developers remove them.  They are just another obstacle to deal with.
                        ball ache2008

lawson466 wrote:

BTW, real sniping (not quick scoping) is just camping on steroids.  I hate snipers with a passion.  I'd much rather have 5 corner campers in a game than one decent long range sniper.  You cannot see him,  get cannot get to him even once you know where he is.  For him, this is a good thing.  But for the rusher, it's a pain in the a$$.  Personally I do not see where they add to the game in any way.  Encouraging camping in a FPS is never a good thing.  I know many many people will disagree with my catorization of snipers as campers.  But if you look at it in any kind of objective way,  they can be nothing else.  They get in an advantagous spot, hiding, and wait for a victim to come within their field of view, then...pow with no gun fight, no chance for the other person to fight back or even know they were there.  How is this not the same thing as someone camping in a room pointing at a doorway?  All the same principles apply.  Of course, quick scoping is different (which I won't rant about here).  But I have to say that real snipers are only just above infinite noob tubers on my most hated list.

But they are in the game by design.  And I'm not going to piss and whine until the developers remove them.  They are just another obstacle to deal with.

I agree with you on the snipers being campers essentially and i am one of them. But very rarely can we not be flanked or fully hidden from view. It is not easy to be an effective sniper. What we have in long range stealth kills we lack in power over any other range. Thus evening it out.
                          GREENPOCALYPSE

davidbio wrote:

I Hybris I wrote:

Sniping is fine,

Sniping is not broken.

Sniping is so good on BO that you should play another game and snipe there instead, BO's sniping will just blow your mind due to its perfection.

Compared to what? Hope this is sarcasm, because sniping in the game is garbage compared to how it is in BFBC 2. I'm not a fanboy for it by any means, but it made the game worth playing alone.
                            schmambuman

lawson466 wrote:

Now here's where I don't agree with you. In my mind, the only person who camps, and I mean the only person who camps, is that person sitting in a corner waiting for you to walk around. And even then, you have no idea whether they saw you and set up an ambush, or they are just sitting there anyways. Its just a playstyle, and if a sniper kills you without you seeing him, thats just smart gameplay. In this game, if a sniper can lock down an entire area, thats awesome.. Plus, with snipers, usually they are not protected from all sides by a corner, so at least they have a chance to get shot.
                              Aga123
                              Around 50% of my kills in CoD4 and MW2 were from snipers, now in BO less then 2% of my kills are with snipers. They are truely useless, you will do more good running around with an asp. If you want to camp and kill people from rnage m16/g11 are much better choices and if you get caught in close range situations you wont have to rely on luck to kill anyone.
                                DXSymphony
                                Snipers in this game are actually doing what they should be. It takes time but they are alot better and it weeds out the people who tried it before just because it was easy. Its perfect the way it is now.
                                  lawson466

schmambuman wrote:

lawson466 wrote:

Now here's where I don't agree with you. In my mind, the only person who camps, and I mean the only person who camps, is that person sitting in a corner waiting for you to walk around. And even then, you have no idea whether they saw you and set up an ambush, or they are just sitting there anyways. Its just a playstyle, and if a sniper kills you without you seeing him, thats just smart gameplay. In this game, if a sniper can lock down an entire area, thats awesome.. Plus, with snipers, usually they are not protected from all sides by a corner, so at least they have a chance to get shot.

Never said it wasn't smart.  Just that I hate it.  Shoot, even the corner camper is playing smart if his aim and reaction time are not up to being out in the action.   Some people just don't have the ability to go Sandy Ravage on people.  I get that.  And a  good sniper takes a skill set that I don't have.  BUT,  I still hate it  

GREENPOCALYPSE wrote:

davidbio wrote:

I Hybris I wrote:

Sniping is fine,

Sniping is not broken.

Compared to what? Hope this is sarcasm, because sniping in the game is garbage compared to how it is in BFBC 2. I'm not a fanboy for it by any means, but it made the game worth playing alone.

How on earth could you think that wasn't sarcastic? Everyone knows sniping is broke.
                                      I'm a Pro sniper. I have very little issue with the sniping in the game.
                                        CrayHD
                                        I'm just saying, even if you play smart and like a real sniper, you WILL BE detected and eliminated. Once a AR is about 80m near you, they can easily full auto you to dead. I agree with all of you:

Snipers are fine, BUT the lack of idle sway on SMG's/AR's and LMG's are totally making them the worst guns in Black Ops.
                                          ball ache2008

CrayHD wrote:

I'm just saying, even if you play smart and like a real sniper, you WILL BE detected and eliminated. Once a AR is about 80m near you, they can easily full auto you to dead. I agree with all of you:

Snipers are fine, BUT the lack of idle sway on SMG's/AR's and LMG's are totally making them the worst guns in Black Ops.

This with bells on 
                                            Its just stupid, If I aim down my scope, and there body is in my crosshairs, it should kill them. Ive been trying lately using the ACOG, and omg. talk about rage quitting..rofl. If my little arrow on the acog is on their CHEST, it should kill them. but nope. It goes 5 feet to the right.
                                              MovinSoSlow18
                                              I do not see how anyone can justify the current state of the sniper rifles in this game. They never dominated at all ranges to begin with. I can hold my own with the sniper rifle and i am fairly accurate but even on a map like array the best sniper rifle to use is a m16 or g11 you would do much better at long range with it.
                                                Double post

BTW, real sniping (not quick scoping) is just camping on steroids. I hate snipers with a passion. I'd much rather have 5 corner campers in a game than one decent long range sniper. You cannot see him, get cannot get to him even once you know where he is. For him, this is a good thing. But for the rusher, it's a pain in the a$$. Personally I do not see where they add to the game in any way. Encouraging camping in a FPS is never a good thing. I know many many people will disagree with my catorization of snipers as campers. But if you look at it in any kind of objective way, they can be nothing else. They get in an advantagous spot, hiding, and wait for a victim to come within their field of view, then...pow with no gun fight, no chance for the other person to fight back or even know they were there. How is this not the same thing as someone camping in a room pointing at a doorway? All the same principles apply. Of course, quick scoping is different (which I won't rant about here). But I have to say that real snipers are only just above infinite noob tubers on my most hated list.

Snipers only have 1-3 locations per map that are decent. If you cant rush them, you suck. Hell, since they are still so often, sniping them with an SMG is no trouble.

They get in advantagous spots? Well, rushing is making sure every fight you're in is favoring you, as SMGs are close range. Snipers, camping or not, cant get even close to guaranteeing this.

Personally, the group I hate more than any other is Marathon Lightweight users. Extremely cheap class.
                                                    lawson466

asasa wrote:

BTW, real sniping (not quick scoping) is just camping on steroids. I hate snipers with a passion. I'd much rather have 5 corner campers in a game than one decent long range sniper. You cannot see him, get cannot get to him even once you know where he is. For him, this is a good thing. But for the rusher, it's a pain in the a$$. Personally I do not see where they add to the game in any way. Encouraging camping in a FPS is never a good thing. I know many many people will disagree with my catorization of snipers as campers. But if you look at it in any kind of objective way, they can be nothing else. They get in an advantagous spot, hiding, and wait for a victim to come within their field of view, then...pow with no gun fight, no chance for the other person to fight back or even know they were there. How is this not the same thing as someone camping in a room pointing at a doorway? All the same principles apply. Of course, quick scoping is different (which I won't rant about here). But I have to say that real snipers are only just above infinite noob tubers on my most hated list.

Snipers only have 1-3 locations per map that are decent. If you cant rush them, you suck. Hell, since they are still so often, sniping them with an SMG is no trouble.

They get in advantagous spots? Well, rushing is making sure every fight you're in is favoring you, as SMGs are close range. Snipers, camping or not, cant get even close to guaranteeing this.

Personally, the group I hate more than any other is Marathon Lightweight users. Extremely cheap class.

I should have been more clear.  Snipers are no problem at all in BO.  The sniping class has been nerfed to the point of near extinction (which I'm very greatful about - it's a horrible part of the game).  And the maps do not cater to snipers in BO.  Go into nearly any COD4 map however, and its a near permanent camping, oh I mean sniping fest.  MW2 is a bit better with the maps,  but the SOH/Intervention QS glitch more than makes up for them fixing the maps.   And no, I don't suck.  I don't use M/L and I rarely use an SMG (they suck bad in BO, so why touch them - except for the 74 - which is on par with the assaults, but I don't like it)  My K/D is enough for me to know how I rate among most COD players, which is in the top 2%.  Your opinion of me though,  doesn't really matter in the least.  People are pretty free with saying how bad others suck in COD - when they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
                                                      EliteSniperKING

CrayHD wrote:

There is just one single prolem with sniping and you can't deny that:

Even if you are the skilled sniper ever, the Treyarch sniper patch will REDUCE your skill level. You can't counter their patch with any hard tricks etc. You just aren't allowed to be as good as you really are and that's the real problem.

Disagree, you can counter the patch by starting your ADS from cover.....
                                                      which you should have been doing ANYWAY, before MW2.

I don't think It actually reduces your skill level as opposed to there is a new skill chart, and you get a new level.

Treyarch has its own way of making COD games, you need to play it like a Treyarch game and not an IW game...
                                                      There is a difference.

And this is the first time, I've seen a treyarch game this damn good. exception of matchmaking.
                                                        Wii-ject
                                                        I am a sniper on Call of Duty and a retired sniper with the US Marines. For those who complain about snipers, WAKE UP! In a real war, there are snipers. They are a crucial key to any operation. Contrary to beliefs, that snipers are for just taking out a public official, and other leaders. They are also used in a matter to secure an area from hostiles. They are also used to take out any other snipers.

What I think is funny is how many players just run around and shoot everything. This is a game about WAR! In a real war, you don't say to yourself, "I am going to respawn, so what the hell. Let's run around like an idiot.". No in a real war you are careful NOT TO DIE! In a real war everyone camps, even if it is for just a couple of minutes behind bunkers, walls etc.

As far as the game, Domination, if you want to correctly win this game, you should have campers at every flag you dominate. Any extra players should be trying to dominate the enemy's flag. Once you have all the flags, you should all be camping out the flags. That is the proper way to play the game. When me and my party play domination, we rarely lose our flags because we are all guarding them. The only way to beat us is to kill all the campers first!
                                                          MovinSoSlow18

Wii-ject wrote:

I am a sniper on Call of Duty and a retired sniper with the US Marines. For those who complain about snipers, WAKE UP! In a real war, there are snipers. They are a crucial key to any operation. Contrary to beliefs, that snipers are for just taking out a public official, and other leaders. They are also used in a matter to secure an area from hostiles. They are also used to take out any other snipers.

What I think is funny is how many players just run around and shoot everything. This is a game about WAR! In a real war, you don't say to yourself, "I am going to respawn, so what the hell. Let's run around like an idiot.". No in a real war you are careful NOT TO DIE! In a real war everyone camps, even if it is for just a couple of minutes behind bunkers, walls etc.

As far as the game, Domination, if you want to correctly win this game, you should have campers at every flag you dominate. Any extra players should be trying to dominate the enemy's flag. Once you have all the flags, you should all be camping out the flags. That is the proper way to play the game. When me and my party play domination, we rarely lose our flags because we are all guarding them. The only way to beat us is to kill all the campers first!

This is a game about war, but its far from having the intentions of being realistic. And if you are going to quote realism in regards to sniper rifles quote it in regards to all other weapons as well..How many guys have you seen in the marines who can pull up a assault rifle perfectly centered with no sway while they hold it there...I am not even going to ask how many of your fellow soldiers shoot explosive tipped crossbow bolts and ballistic knifes at people. I understand what you are saying, but the point is..Even using the sniper rifle to secure a area of hostiles you are ridiculously outclassed and would do a much better job securing the area with some sort of automatic weapon.
                                                            speedydeath14
                                                            I had been able to quickscope queit well on this game when patch 1.04 came out. But that changed when 1.05 came out. :l

Sniping is worse than in any other COD game on BO.

1. Very few positions where you actually have the advantage over a AR user.

2. No silencer = Everytime you shoot you ar epretty much advertising your spot.

3. A rusher can easily flank around and kill the sniper.

I agree,they have ruined sniping and with that this game,it is infested with no skill sprayers