15 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2011 1:24 PM by Lost Spartan119 RSS

Petition to fix the sniping bug/glitch

CrayHD
      So since almost nobody takes a look at the sniper thread anymore, I decided to open a topic about the sniper bug/glitch.

Read an interesting post on the Black Ops forums, and decided to test it out for myself in a Private Match. This is an interesting revelation: could this be the result of a simple miscue in the patching process (I won't say anything about Treyarch's coding abilities, but would this surprise anyone all that much?) or something more?

And if this is "something more", it would probably be addressed as a "balancing mechanism" by the powers-that-be, which begs the question: how would NOT being held to the full-on launch-day patch and its mechanisms while moving even ever-so slightly be decidedly un-balanced, especially considering ALL the other ridiculous hurdles snipers are now made to overcome?

I would appreciate a direct response from Treyarch on this issue, so those of you that can contact them (be it through the COD Official Forums, Twitter or by "some other means" [looking at you, Hutch]), please feel free to do so. This is, by my estimation, a pretty big issue.

EDIT: Ok, let me try to explain this again, because apparently some of you are missing the point: I am fully aware that this is how the sniping game was all the way back to the launch date. The interesting part is though, that even though Treyarch has since tuned the spread ADS timer with the most recent patch, this element was apparently left un-touched by the patching process, even and especially the most recent one.

So yes, this has been an element of sniping since launch, but that is, and I cannot emphasize this enough, not the point of the video. The point is that, for some reason, this element (which is a pretty vast one) was left completely alone by the most recent patch, where the spread ADS timer was specifically addressed by Treyarch.

by Lefty OX

Video showcasing the bug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n3e5w7ic_A&feature=channel_video_title

All credit goes to asasa for finding the bug and LeftyOx for making the video.
        • Re: Petition to fix the sniping bug/glitch
          CrayHD
          Bump... i guess.
            IceeMan
            I'm too lazy to go to youtube and watch the vid right now, so what IS the sniper bug/glitch?
              CrayHD
              If you move while start with ADS you have the old 2,5 random bullet timer, which normally was removed 12/13.
              Probably a mistake in coding.
                ill-lll
                This applies to all guns. If you want to get it fixed, make the case for why it shouldn't be on full-auto. Snipers will get fixed by default.
                  CrayHD
                  Because AR's have a MUCH higher firerate and you mostly do not notice it on AR's. Snipers have this 1 shot, which should hit,otherwise they're dead.

I don't really think there is a need of an explanation why AR's should have it but snipers don't, if you think 1 sec about it, you know why.

Ill-lll wrote:

This applies to all guns. If you want to get it fixed, make the case for why it shouldn't be on full-auto. Snipers will get fixed by default.

If I understand right,  other guns have full spread while moving until they are fully ADS'd. 

Snipers have full spread while moving until they are fully ADS'd + the .25 Spread ADS timer that was implemented in the original sniper patch.  That extra .25 is the problem.
                      CrayHD
                      Bump-
                        anoreo
                        This doesn't look like a glitch, looks more like an anti-quick scope thing. In the video, I never saw him ADS, stay ADS and side step, it was all quickscopes.
                          CrayHD

An Oreo wrote:

This doesn't look like a glitch, looks more like an anti-quick scope thing. In the video, I never saw him ADS, stay ADS and side step, it was all quickscopes.

Yes, but it PROBABLY shouldn't be like this.
                          What you called "anti quick scope thing" was removed with the title update 13/12/10, but apparently they probably forgot to remove it when you walk while ADS.
                            ill-lll

CrayHD wrote:

but apparently they probably forgot to remove it when you walk while ADS.

This is not the same thing. This code in place is applied to all weapons, not just sniper rifles. They would either need to remove it entirely (read as: make a case for asking them to tune something they might consider fundamental to gameplay), or code, from scratch, an exception for sniper rifles. The sniper rifle debate shows that the latter is going to be much more difficult to argue for, thus you would likely have more success arguing why this code should not exist for any weapon and the code block can just be removed, rather than revised.

If you want to go the sniper-only route, realize this is tuning a different game mechanic and not the 0.25 random bullet fix that existed earlier.
                              CrayHD
                              I just don't get why they implemented it? This code wasn't in COD4, I never ever in my whole life, had a random bullet while I was scoped in, in COD4.
                                anoreo
                                If you ADS and walk, it doesn't get me a "random bullet", right? Because I like ADSing with an Infrared and walk around.
                                  CrayHD

An Oreo wrote:

If you ADS and walk, it doesn't get me a "random bullet", right? Because I like ADSing with an Infrared and walk around.

No if you ADS while walking, it doesn't matter if you walk when you're in the ADS. As long as your spread isn't like it is if you just stand without moving, you get affected by this. Sniper get often affected by this if they go behind cover and quickly leave their cover and ADS while walking out, because they want to pull of a fast shot.

(You probably don't understand me,lol sorry I'm from Germany and I don't know how to explain it correctly.)
                                    ill-lll
                                    Take note of your crosshairs while you walk and then when you halt and stand still, they shrink. For all guns, if you ADS while you have the "big crosshairs" and fire within a 0.2-0.25 period, you get a random bullet. You will not get the random bullet if you are standing still, or ADS in motion but wait the 0.2-0.25 before firing.
                                      Lost Spartan119

An Oreo wrote:

If you shoot within the first .25 seconds of being ADS then yes because of this you do get a random bullet. Say someone is shooting at you, you step out of cover shoot and then try and return to it quickly so you don't get killed cross-map by the guy with an AR. Now because of this if you have your crosshairs on the guys head then guess what? You still miss
                                      It is different for every other gun because they can keep shooting, the sniper is lucky to get another shot off at all