21 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2011 9:34 AM by alexjt22 RSS

BOPS - MW2  -- DSL Connection Comparison

So, back at the inlaws, .44d-.55u DSL Connection

Black Ops - unplayable  2k-15d gun game  everyone is visually lagging  -  1 red bar

MW2 - playable no visiable lag ( except when I went to load the forums )  - 3 Green Bars !! ( woo hoo )
        • Re: BOPS - MW2  -- DSL Connection Comparison
          rankismet

Kainon wrote:

So, back at the inlaws, .44d-.55u DSL Connection

Black Ops - unplayable  2k-15d gun game  everyone is visually lagging  -  1 red bar

MW2 - playable no visiable lag ( except when I went to load the forums )  - 3 Green Bars !! ( woo hoo )

OP... please note the bold part above. Those 13 letters say it all.
            My DSL connection plays exactly the same as my fibre optic connection, sometimes alot better due to one ISP throttling bandwidth at certain times.

They both ping to EU within 10ms of eachother, and both ping to US within about 20ms of eachother. The amount of bandwidth needed for xbox is tiny, and the amount that gets added to your ping is stupid anyway.

But for people who have a less than decent DSL connection - that's what lag compensation is for
              I'm aware of the issues with DSL, not that many people use the search function, I figured I would post my findings. 

I was a little suprised at how well MW2 played on the same connection though.
                The reaosn mw2 plays better is because not as many people play it as they do blops. mw2 was the exact same this time last year, i really don't get why people have simply forgotten that......

dstr001 wrote:

The reaosn mw2 plays better is because not as many people play it as they do blops. mw2 was the exact same this time last year, i really don't get why people have simply forgotten that......

Because for some of us, no game has ever had the issues that Black Ops has. MW2 played perfectly for me within a week of release, played perfectly 12 months ago, played perfectly 6 months ago, and still plays perfectly now. Black Ops didn't play perfectly within a week of release, didn't play perfectly 3 months ago, and still doesn't play perfectly now.

As for your theory about less people playing - less people means less chance of finding a local host and local players, which means LESS chance of finding a good game.
                    ".44d-.55u DSL Connection"
                    Oh god.
                    I'm sorry.
                      sweatyclam
                      Here's mine (don't laugh too much)

0.70D and 0.35UP

Black Op's - mostly 4 bar, sometimes 3 and after tweaking the router games plays well on the whole.

MW2 - mostly 4 bar sometimes 3 without touching the router and the game also plays well for the most part.

Here's the important bit that you left out OP

Ping 44ms to a server approx 200 miles

Believe it or not, but I have plenty of bandwidth for gaming, it's the ping that's important.
                        You guys are making me feel really good about my connection.

35+ down with 3.5 up and I can pull a 200 mile ping in the low 20's all the time.
                          greencoffin72
                          I have DSL!! Well, ADSL.  I have 12 MB down, 890 KB up.  It works just fine for me a majority of the time.  With a house and possibly a little on the way, how am I going to crunch cash to get more INTERWEBZ??!!

Guess, I need a better job? 
                            sweatyclam

ios37 wrote:

35+ down with 3.5 up and I can pull a 200 mile ping in the low 20's all the time.

I can only dream of a connection like that.......................

Sweaty Clam wrote:

I can only dream of a connection like that.......................

I had to downgrade from 40+ down 9 up and pulling less then 15 200 mile pings because I would always pull host when I was solo and could not kill someone with less then 12 AK47 bullets.

ios37 wrote:

".44d-.55u DSL Connection"
                                Oh god.
                                I'm sorry.

yea.. thankfully in-laws connection, not mine.  and that's what Verizon gave him he previously had a 3mb for the same price,
                                from like 2 years ago, but cuz he got disconnected, he lost that deal. He doesn't like comcast, and cant afford much more.

I'm a bit of a geek, 15+ years playing with computers and it amazes me somewhat how much different they play over the same connection

again, MW2 no visible lag from our persective, smooth running etc.. but BOPS forget it..

If I had a spare router @ home to DD-WRT it, I'd monitor the BW used and compare.  Oh well.
                                  dsl.. 3/.75 bo.. laggy.. other games laggy depending on time of day.. router..non gaming isp given type.. xbox connection wifi using the xbox  A adapter since do not have a  N network to use the N adapter for my elite.

TrialStarDragon wrote:

dsl.. 3/.75 bo.. laggy.. other games laggy depending on time of day.. router..non gaming isp given type.. xbox connection wifi using the xbox  A adapter since do not have a  N network to use the N adapter for my elite.

You can't use wifi then complain about lag.

ios37 wrote:

You make me feel good

18.2u 1.31d 150mile 13-ms 0-jitter

http://www.pingtest.net/result/38988361.png

ios37 wrote:

TrialStarDragon wrote:

You can't use wifi then complain about lag.

sure I can.. for I can play pc games on wifi with no lagg ever.. only lag on xbox.

wifi is not nearly as evil as everyone trys to say it is.. and wired is not always an option for everyone either.

even on my slim which is wired to router it still laggs like hell at times.. and so does ever other game played on it..

point being made is that the lag is not all the game.. but sometimes the router or isp being used.. and what happens between them and the other players being played with.

ShaGGy_UK wrote:

You make me feel good

18 up and a 1.3 down??
                                          o_O

ios37 wrote:

ShaGGy_UK wrote:

You make me feel good

18 up and a 1.3 down??
                                            o_O

eheh <> 18.2 Down 1.3 Up :P

why do i always type that the wrong way round ?

ShaGGy_UK wrote:

eheh <> 18.2 Down 1.3 Up :P

why do i always type that the wrong way round ?

I type them backwards all the time.
                                              Not to brag but my connection was/is better.
                                              I down play it to not lie and say my stats are better then they are.
                                                vangvace
                                                Just remember kiddos, it's not just your connect that matters.
                                                  I really dont think it matters in this game how good your connection is, i have the best commercially availible package i can get here in the UK or in my area at least and thats Virgin 50Mb and i am always nearly host unless it throws me in a lobby full of americans.
                                                  Its all down to whos in your lobby in this game and what sort of lag compensation you get as a result because as soon as a two bar connections comes into the lobby its game over for me the lag comp it puts on me makes it so i am at least 1 second behind every other player so i cant get a kill for the life of me which isnt fair. I think they should look into lag compasation again and tweak it or dont allow people to join lobbys across the world creating two bar connections in their lobby and making the game horrible for people

As for MW2 it has played perfect for since the month it came out, i have never rage quitted because someone took 45 hit markers from my extended mag and then turns around and pap'd me down in two bullets or that i have felt i am a second or two behind the game all i can say is i know who the better coders are