16 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2011 8:43 PM by UltimaFanX RSS

Quick Question Xbox 4GB

Quick question for you guys regarding the Xbox 4GB console.  Will this be enough memory for my uses?  I only play COD, so it will have B.O. and MW3 plus DLC maps.  My wife and I are also planning on using Netflix.  Will I be ok with only 4GB, NEVER play any other games at all other than just COD.  Thanks in advance for any advice.
        • Re: Quick Question Xbox 4GB
          mcquillan123
          yh games on take about 100-200 mb and there 10000 mb in gb

And map pakes our around 5000mb
            Dennis27
            It should be more than enough for only call of duty. If playing anything else/ watching movies you should just buy a 120GB hardrive availiable anywhere on the internet nowa days =).
              Out of everything you listed, DLC will be the only thing stored on to the hard drive. You will have limited space, however, since DLC is usually between 600MB-1GB.

Netflix is streamed and games are read off the disc.
                mcquillan123
                I have sky player on my xbox and i only take a couple 100 megabites
                  Oh ok, I was under the impression COD had an install option for Xbox, that is why i was wondering.  I dont believe Netflix will have any reason to take up GB space, correct me if I am wrong.  I wasnt aware that DLC took so much room though. I am looking to spend the least amount of money on a Xbox, that is why I am asking.  Wife has me on a strict budget and I cannot go over it.
                    You don't have enough space on the hard drive to install games.
                      mcquillan123
                      This what i use do  put my map packs on a 10£/12$ usb stick  i got a 4gb one for 10£ i keep all profiles and map packs on that

TopFighter wrote:

You don't have enough space on the hard drive to install games.

How much space would I need to install COD games and map packs efficiently.  I dont want to spend for a 250gb. Also how hard would it be to install a hard drive on the xbox.  Thanks again for all the help guys.  I need my stress relief returned to me.
                          explosive0ne
                          I would advise getting the 250 gb i have the 4 GB kinect bundle and i downloaded one arcade game, netflix, lastfm, and 2 map packs and it is completely full if i want anything else i am going to have to spend the 100 for a 250 gb hard drive. With nothing on the console its not enough memory to install black ops to the hard drive so if you have a choice get the 250 gb now or you will be wanting it later up to you.

Explosive0ne wrote:

I would advise getting the 250 gb i have the 4 GB kinect bundle and i downloaded one arcade game, netflix, lastfm, and 2 map packs and it is completely full if i want anything else i am going to have to spend the 100 for a 250 gb hard drive. With nothing on the console its not enough memory to install black ops to the hard drive so if you have a choice get the 250 gb now or you will be wanting it later up to you.

Thank you for the advice.  I will surely be contemplating my choices.  The problem is I dont want to dip into my car fund and I am almost done restoring my vehicle just in time for June car shows. So currently I was looking at the cheapest way to get a good xbox.  I noticed on Craigslist someone is selling a white Xbox nearby me with a 20gig and COD4/W@W/MW2 and B.O. for a great price.  Were those consoles of poorer quality than the newer slim models? Sorry for all the newby questions.

dedicatedserversplease wrote:

Quick question for you guys regarding the Xbox 4GB console.  Will this be enough memory for my uses?  I only play COD, so it will have B.O. and MW3 plus DLC maps.  My wife and I are also planning on using Netflix.  Will I be ok with only 4GB, NEVER play any other games at all other than just COD.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

well i have a 4 gb and i got 2.0 gb left and i got bops with both mp downloaded halo reach and l4d2 and netflix so u should be fine and also if u do run out of memory u cn just buy a new harddrive or use a usb as a memory card

cod man!sean-e-boy wrote:

dedicatedserversplease wrote:

well i have a 4 gb and i got 2.0 gb left and i got bops with both mp downloaded halo reach and l4d2 and netflix so u should be fine and also if u do run out of memory u cn just buy a new harddrive or use a usb as a memory card

Is your game completely installed without having to have the disc in it?  I am looking for how much memory each game takes and the memory of the DLC content.  I only had a 20gig PS3 as I dont need more than that, just go to waste.
                                  explosive0ne
                                  i deleted as much stuff as i could when i first heard about that you could install games and it wouldnt run off the disc. there is not enough memory in the 4gb console to put black ops on the hard drive. I tried this several times i even deleted netflix for the moment and it would not let me install Black Ops. But like he said it would be a good start you will just have to buy the Hard Drive later you wont be missing out on anything yet at least not until the next map pack it holds both map packs for me but thats while playing the game off the disc. The Hard Drive is about 129 or lower depending on where you find it on xbox.com i saw it for 99 and at gamestop for 130 which i plan on buying before we get another map pack
                                    gus_7275
                                    Get the 250 gb slim. Its the same price as the 4 gb kinect bundle, who the hell wants kinect? Little kids maybe. Installing the game on your hard drive puts less stress on the system when running the game and as a result the system runs silently. The fan is really loud if the game is not installed. There is a saying that goes 'penny wise, pound foolish' meaning rather spend the money and get the 250gb than having to buy another hard drive in a couple of months time.

gus_7275 wrote:

Get the 250 gb slim. Its the same price as the 4 gb kinect bundle, who the hell wants kinect? Little kids maybe. Installing the game on your hard drive puts less stress on the system when running the game and as a result the system runs silently. The fan is really loud if the game is not installed. There is a saying that goes 'penny wise, pound foolish' meaning rather spend the money and get the 250gb than having to buy another hard drive in a couple of months time.

I am not getting kinect, so the 4gb is 199, the 250 is 299 or the old xbox white 20gig is 160 with all COD's since cod4 from a local seller.  Dunno if it would be wise to buy used though.  I am NOT spending 299+ 50 for B.O. then spending 30 for the maps, than another 50 for Live etc. That would bring me to 500.00 and I cannot afford that much if I want to meet my deadline for the next car show.
                                        UltimaFanX
                                        The white xbox's have a high failer rate (50%) and it will almost certenlly break because it is already a used product, if you want to save the most money, you must know how to open up things and fix them, you can get a cheap 20$ xbox that has the red ring of death, and do the penny/towel trick (look for it on youtube) you will then need to buy memory, you can get a 1000 gb one for 80$ or go with something cheaper, if you can insert that into your xbox then you should get a working one for under 100$, after this you will need to buy a controller, black ops, map pack and live, this should add up to about 200-250$, you will be saving about 130$ provided you have the right tools to fix the broken xbox