20 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2011 9:26 AM by jbghah123 RSS

Effective SAM Turret Placement?

Being someone whose particularly sick of Spy Planes - but prefers deviating from Ghost and constant launcher use, I've warmed up to SAM Turrets. There's definitely potential with these, but I just can't place my finger... they're taken out so soon.

So let's brainstorm; do you know of any spots that sees the best in these, preferably on every map? How far are they from spawns? Are they well secluded? Would they waste peoples' time climbing for? Those key things are what I'm looking into.

Now I'm sure someone's bound to bring up Counter Spy Planes, and how you wouldn't spend 20+ seconds setting up, but there's some things to consider. For one, I won't deny its usefulness against Blackbirds, but those are pretty seldom in my experience. Another thing is how CSPs last only 30 seconds... whereas SAM Turrets last a staggering 1 minute and 30 seconds. Biiiiiig difference, especially when I favor Hardline. Finally, I tend to take advantage of objective spawns and suppressed weapons, so I wouldn't worry so much about chasers.

Any and all advice is appreciated, namely for those who may indulge in SAM Turrets. I want to give enemies a hard time reaching them, since I fancy that B flag.
        • Re: Effective SAM Turret Placement?
          domination is extremely easy to use SAM turrets, as long as your team doesn't push too far into the enemy spawn. Now you're always gonna have one guy here and there that's gonna sneak past everybody and knife your turret but that's very few and far between. As far as good spots, array has TONS of them as well as convoy due to map size, and random empty spots away from objectives. obviously nuketown/firing range/stadium suck for them due to size, and havana is horrible because the buildings are in the way, other than that a lot of times it usually comes down to preference and a little bit of luck
            I know Havana's generally cluttered, but there's two good spots; the far left of the OP 40 spawn and left of Tropa's sniping building, near the road barricade where it offers three sightlines. SAMs do their job well enough there.

What I'm really wondering about is where to place them on Hotel; the real problem is having open space at the center of the map, but hardly at your spawns - those buildings are in the way.
              If you are playing objectives like dom, then putting the turret in the back of your spawn is good and safe. I've found that sam turrets usually get picked off the most in TDM since the spawns are always changing. For TDM I would suggest holding onto your turrets until you need them. 1 or 2 spy planes and I'd save it. If there is spy/counter spam then throw it up otherwise try and save it in case there is a chopper.

Most maps have at least 2 spots in the very back that people will spawn in front of. But throwing that thing down right smack dab in the middle of the map in open space can create some trouble for the other team.  I do enjoy putting a sam turret down right in the middle of Firing Range and picking off people running to knife it.
                schmambuman
                I find generally putting them in your teams spawn, especially if they are set spawns like domination, works the best.

I usually wait till I die, then spawn and run to the very edge of the map, and put it in a corner or something. Usually people with hacker will kill them, but oh well.
                  There is always the "oldie but a goodie" trick of placing a claymore "within" your turret. Even the hacker perk will struggle to decipher that combo.

If it wasnt an air drop killstreak Id use it religiously. As it happens, I use counter spy plane instead as its called in almost immediately, meaning I can get on with "other stuff" straight away (theres a pro/con conumdrum here, thats the side I fall) plus the counter will add some cover against the growing frequency of SR-71's unlike a SAM turret.

Keep it going though mate, always like hearing about people who use less common features.
                    I'm used to waiting on Care Packages as is, so a 4-Killstreak doesn't hurt much. Plus, that "ClaySAM" trick is genius - I'll have to give it a try sometime.
                      Bumping due to an influx of Spy Plane ********.

UrbaneVirtuoso wrote:

People hate Spy Planes?

They are useless once Ghost is up.

Platinumb wrote:

UrbaneVirtuoso wrote:

People hate Spy Planes?

They are useless once Ghost is up.

Well, the consensus tells me they're the reason for the Ghost clusterf*ck - I can see why.
                            Well, once I get the Blackbird, there is no reason for the Ghost. 

Platinumb wrote:

Well, once I get the Blackbird, there is no reason for the Ghost. 

Should be easy enough wit dem China Lakes n M203s.
                                It is hard to be a launcher in BO. They have been gimped badly.

The worst part is when the explosive doesn't register when it hits the enemy point blank.

At least M203 and 'nades do the trick though.
                                  Staind20960

Platinumb wrote:

The worst part is when the explosive doesn't register when it hits the enemy point blank.

Most of the people I see spamming launchers are noobs and get killed anyway because they miss, just saying.

Staind20960 wrote:

Platinumb wrote:

Most of the people I see spamming launchers are noobs and get killed anyway because they miss, just saying.

Assuming they are on target, they tend to be blanks.
                                      If anything, RPGs are what gives the blanks - even at point-blank.

But to remain on topic, I'd see fewer Spy Planes if more people took up the SAM habit to compensate.

UrbaneVirtuoso wrote:

If anything, RPGs are what gives the blanks - even at point-blank.

But to remain on topic, I'd see fewer Spy Planes if more people took up the SAM habit to compensate.

I run the Sam Turret from time to time. It's an underrated kill streak. But the fact that it doesn't last long means you have to be picky not only about WHERE you place it, but also WHEN to place it. Depending on the lobby I'm in, I like to hang onto it after getting it from the crate, and then standing it up once I see something like "Enemy Huey Inbound!". I just set it up and drop the thing almost instantly.
                                          That's true, but it should be stressed that SAMs last 90 seconds - thrice the time compared to Counter Spy Planes. You could have up at least five of these the whole game. It's definitely nice whenever you're busy holding them flags and doing other shenanigans.

UrbaneVirtuoso wrote:

That's true, but it should be stressed that SAMs last 90 seconds - thrice the time compared to Counter Spy Planes. You could have up at least five of these the whole game. It's definitely nice whenever you're busy holding them flags and doing other shenanigans.

Mine almost never last the full 90 seconds... they tend to get destroyed unless I'm playing on like Array and set it way off in the back. That's one reason I hang onto them for emergency situations like Chopper Gunners or Gunships.
                                              I don't really use the SAM turret seriously when I get it. I usually put it in a building or something.
                                                Hi, my name is [MP] Law, and I use SAM!!

Good topic, btw.

But, yes..when and where are very important due to not-so-long life span of the SAM. Sometimes I will want hold onto it until I hear enemy Spy Plane up, but then shooting down an enemy Chinook is more important and that's when I realize I should have just deployed it when I got it.

I have been equipping the Strella3 and using that for Spy Planes, so that helps with the timing of deploying the SAM

As far as where.. it's really a crap shoot, especially on TDM and small maps...