5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2011 2:17 PM by adam_johns69 RSS

nat type problem?

kickitlbc
      ok so my nat type was moderate and i went online and change setting on my router put the ps3 to DMZ and do static ip address and it turns open. but the problem is that i have to wait a good 1 - 2 minutes because it first says Nat Type : info currently unavailable also when i was in a full party , we tried to join a game and it kicks me and says in a box, something not available (i cant remember). it did it 5 times! does anyone have this problem and is there a fix?
        • Re: nat type problem?
          ristactionjackson
          b ops just blows online. there isnt really a fix for all the lag problems on b ops.
            WINGS_SUCK

ristactionjackson wrote:

b ops just blows online. there isnt really a fix for all the lag problems on b ops.

so true
              adam_johns69

WINGS_SUCK wrote:

ristactionjackson wrote:

so true

Not true at all. Lag and NAT are not related. Having strict or moderate NAT can cause problems joining parties and stuff  but has nothing to do with lag.I would recommend not putting the PS3 in the DMZ as most of the time this doesn't work. Instead just fprward the ports to the PS3 and you should be good to go. If you really want to fix it, I have posted how to do it numerous times on here so I'll just copy and paste one of my other posts with pretty easy to follow instructions and some links to websites (the website URL's are bold to make them easier to spot) with pictures and such to make it easier rather than a giant wall of text on here:

With strict or moderate NAT, the problem lies within the router's settings, not the game. The router is in charge of controlling NAT and the software or game you are using at the time has nothing to do with it. NAT is what the router uses to allow multiple devices, each with its own private IP address, to acces the internet through it's single internet routable IP address. Think of it like this: A NAT device is similar to the receptionist at an office that has one public telephone number. Outbound phone calls made from the office all appear to come from the same telephone number. However, incoming calls have to be transferred to the correct private extension by an operator asking the caller who they'd like to speak with; private extensions cannot be dialed directly from outside.

First, you should give your PS3 a static IP address. You will need to find out the IP address information first though. Go to a PC and click on the start or windows button (on windows XP click start then click on run) and then type cmd and press enter. Now, in the command interface, type "ipconfig /all" without the "" of course. Now get a pen and paper and write down the Default Gateway, Subnet Mask and the IPv4 address of the PC. The PS3 will need to have an IP address the same as the PC's IPv4 but with the fourth number being higher. I would make it arbout 10 or so higher just to make sure you don't try to give it one that is already being used. Eg. PC has 192.168.1.2 so PS3 has 192.168.1.12
              You will also need to find your ISP's DNS addresses. Just look online and it shouldn't be too hard. There should be two so write these down too.

Now just use youtube and find a tutorial for setting the static IP on a PS3. This one seems OK and even though he shows wireless it works for wired too, just select wired at that point http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7IG_uXUvG0&feature=related
              Once you have done this, check that you can still connect to PSN and go back and check settings if you can't. If it fails the test at the IP stage, then you need to fix the IP address. If it fails when trying to connect to the internet, then it's the default gateway. Any errors after that will probably be a DNS error. So go back and fix any mistakes and try again till it works.

Then go here: http://portforward.com/ and scroll down to find the model of router you have. Then click on "Click here to skip this advertisement" up in the top right hand corner. Now, scroll down and click on "PS3 Call of Duty - Black Ops" and follow the steps.
              This will be much easier than any instructions I could give on here and of course, you can always set the PS3 back to automatic if it just refuses to work.

I find that 99% of the time people are just too lazy to try and wouold rather complain, or they tried once and did it wrong because they didn't know what they were doing and therefore decide not to bother again when somebody tries to help. There's no reason it shouldn't work unless you do a step wrong, so good luck.
                matt-e-c82
                Put Modern Warfare 2 in.  Enter the game and go right up to the main multiplayer menu.  Check the NAT type is open.  Quit the game and put Black Ops in, and when you get to the main multiplayer it should say open.  Every time my router re-syncs, the NAT type goes to strict.  This fixes it without altering anything on the router 100% every time.
                  adam_johns69

matt-e-c82 wrote:

Put Modern Warfare 2 in.  Enter the game and go right up to the main multiplayer menu.  Check the NAT type is open.  Quit the game and put Black Ops in, and when you get to the main multiplayer it should say open.  Every time my router re-syncs, the NAT type goes to strict.  This fixes it without altering anything on the router 100% every time.

Not always. Sometimes you have to restart the router and then do this. It's just a bandaid though and will often revert back every time you turn the PS3 back on. A permanant solution by port forwarding is a hell of a lot better than doing this crap every time you wanna play Black Ops.
                  Like I said in my other post, some people just couldn't be bothered because it seems like too much trouble. Compared to doing a MW2 disc swap every time you wanna play Black Ops, it's not really a lot of bother to go in and enter some numbers into a router.