20 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2009 7:53 AM by l4mb RSS

Can anyone tell me the advantages

Can anyone please tell me the advantages of installing games to your hard drive. Many people preferes it, but I don'r understand why.

I know, I'm off topic from Cod, but I really wonder.

So can anyone tell me the advantages
        • Test #1
          Re: Can anyone tell me the advantages
          It reduces load times, as the hard drive can read data faster than from the disc. and it saves your DVD drive a bit of work.
          Last Edited: Nov 7, 2009 6:57 AM
          • Test #1
            Ohh thank you very much ;) I appreciate your answer, but another thing that I wonder is: Does it make any changes on graphics?
            Last Edited: Nov 7, 2009 7:04 AM
            • Test #1
              Nope, it's the exact same game, just read from a different medium.
              Last Edited: Nov 7, 2009 7:06 AM
              • Test #1
                Nope, it shouldn't. It's just like installing a game onto your PC. It will play the same, it will just be faster (On most games, some games the load times are actually increased) and will reduce the work your 360 does. I do it with all my games.
                Last Edited: Nov 7, 2009 7:07 AM
                • Test #1
                  Thank you very much guys. I really like you guys. You take the responsibillity to answer, and not like other guys. So thank you very much again. I would award you, if it was possible :)

Well, I better do that then,

Edit: Ohh uhmm, just came in mind though.. Where can I find the game that I just have installed to my hard drive? Like will it be in my game lobby or do I have to start the game from 'My xbox' thingy? Hope you understand :/
                  Last Edited: Nov 7, 2009 7:09 AM
                  • Test #1
                    Actually it could effect texture bleeding (the thing most noticed in Gears where people look like plastercine) as it loads everything faster. Also you need the disk in the drive to play, simply highlight the game, press Y and select play from hard drive.
                    Last Edited: Nov 7, 2009 7:11 AM
                    • Test #1
                      If you have the game in your disc drive then you can play it from either the disc drive area or the game lobby.
                      Last Edited: Nov 7, 2009 7:13 AM
                      • Test #1
                        Thank you very much.

Well I'm new on the forums, and yet, I havn't regret registering on here so..
                        Last Edited: Nov 7, 2009 7:14 AM
                        • Test #1
                          I download the games that I play regularly to my hard drive. I dunno why, but I never have my hard drive even close to full. I have the 120GB, and it is usually around 70GB free. Maybe it's because I only regularly played CoD4 and Fallout 3 for the last 2 years...

@Tsylord: I have not noticed that. Is it a Gears specific thing? maybe something to do with their texture streaming?

I do know that Halo 3 has a warning that says "don't install this!", but I don't know why. Fourzerotwo seems to think it is a good idea, he tweeted somebody back about it just yesterday, saying it reduces load times.
                          Last Edited: Nov 7, 2009 7:14 AM
                          • Test #1

I have not noticed that. Is it a Gears specific thing? maybe something to do with their texture streaming?

I have yet to notice texture bleeding in any other game but it can happen, I believe its mostly because Gears has a very large amount of texture and also their engine puts priority on other things, if it does happen in COD its not such a big deal.
                            Last Edited: Nov 7, 2009 7:18 AM
                            • Test #1
                              have noticed improvement in Gears, and recently Borderlands, both games where when you first load up you can see textures missing, but it's a small improvement.

some games load much faster, Mirrors Edge I found to be a huge improvement.

quieter as well, which is a bonus for something that sounds like a light aircraft taking off in the corner of the room....
                              Last Edited: Nov 7, 2009 7:20 AM
                              • Test #1
                                reduces the chances of RROD'in the system
                                Last Edited: Nov 7, 2009 7:25 AM
                                • Test #1
                                  Uhmm, is installing games to hard drive a dangerous thing. Like, I heard that, if you install halo to your hard drive, you can risk getting your xbox destroyed. What if cod is like that too
                                  Last Edited: Nov 7, 2009 7:29 AM
                                  • Test #1

I don't believe that for one minute ;)

RROD is mainly thought to be a heat problem, the disc not spinning isn't going to make any difference imo, where the box is placed, ventilation, keeping the fan & vents clean etc are really all you can do, but in the end it's still a lottery, even the newest boxes are still failing.
                                    Last Edited: Nov 7, 2009 7:35 AM
                                    • Test #1
                                      One last question: If I choose to delete the game from my hard drive, what happens then. Will I have to start all over again on the game. Will I have to start the campaign from the beginning. Will I start by level 1 on MP
                                      Last Edited: Nov 7, 2009 7:38 AM
                                      • Test #1

congafury wrote:

I don't believe that for one minute ;)

RROD is mainly thought to be a heat problem, the disc not spinning isn't going to make any difference imo, where the box is placed, ventilation, keeping the fan & vents clean etc are really all you can do, but in the end it's still a lottery, even the newest boxes are still failing.

lol you should hear my xbox when i play gta4 when its not installed on my HD ... my god sounds like my 360's about to blow
                                        Last Edited: Nov 7, 2009 7:39 AM
                                        • Test #1
                                          Wow, will my xbox 360 sound louder if I play from Hard drive
                                          Last Edited: Nov 7, 2009 7:40 AM
                                          • Test #1
                                            no it'll be a lot quieter, the disc spinning is v loud, but the fan will still sound like a shuttle launch :D

lol you should hear my xbox when i play gta4 when its not installed on my HD ... my god sounds like my 360's about to blow

yes but that's not going to generate much heat around the bits that like to melt...
                                            Last Edited: Nov 7, 2009 7:46 AM
                                            • Test #1

Uhmm, is installing games to hard drive a dangerous thing. Like, I heard that, if you install halo to your hard drive, you can risk getting your xbox destroyed. What if cod is like that too

You know a lot of Bungies messages have  a humorous side to them? Lots of Devs like to joke, for instance if you type about:config in firefox your get a semi-humorous message about messing around settings, you have to click a button that says, "I'll be careful I promise". Also Google Chrome's sad tab is another example. So, installing disks to your hard drive is by no means dangerous, sometimes however it is not the ideal thing to do.
                                              Last Edited: Nov 7, 2009 7:52 AM
                                              • Test #1

mimarsinan58 wrote:

One last question: If I choose to delete the game from my hard drive, what happens then. Will I have to start all over again on the game. Will I have to start the campaign from the beginning. Will I start by level 1 on MP

There is a separate storage area for Full Games, and Game Saves. If you want to delete the game off your hard drive, just go into Full Games and delete it. You will still keep your save files, etc.
                                                Last Edited: Nov 7, 2009 7:53 AM