29 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2013 12:29 PM by LuckyLupo7 RSS

Age Your Child Would Play CoD?

In this I'm pretty much using the assumption that a good majority of people here are in the age group of 13-21 and don't have children. With that being said my question is...

What age would you allow your child to play Call of Duty or whatever military based game popular at that time?

I ask this because I sometimes wonder about parents these days letting their kids go on the game unattended or at least presumably unattended. Also with how the children act it really makes me wonder. I don't think I acted that way when I was their age, I know I had the squeaky voice, but the attitude is just awful.

Anyways, my response is somewhere from 12-15 depending on their maturity level. Also I don't think I'd be getting a mic right away.

Go ahead and post your response, and for any parents out there feel free to respond as well..... I don't bite. :)

• Re: Age Your Child Would Play CoD?
          LuRcHED

12 years and older. Grades and chores come first.

Overall, it would depend on the maturity level of the child. I know I started playing M rated games (Unreal Tournament on ps2) when I was in late elemetary school (I'm 17 going on 18 now so begone age trolls) but then again, I was mature for my age and had high grades.  Now, if the child very mature at say 12, then I would probably allow him/her to play at 13ish, but they wouldn't get a mic until later. Once again, it depends on how mature the person is, and to be honest, I don't think some of the adults playing this game are mature enough to handle it... which is sad.

My parents didn't allow me to start playing M rated games until I was 16 (then again, I didn't ever ask for a M rated game (modern warfare reflex) until I was that age so idk what my parents would have said before that time.

personally I would either hold them off until around 15 or at the age where they could prove that they would be mature enough to handle such a game. Let's say I had a kid that was 12 (hypothetical here) and he got good grades in school, always did the chores he was asked to do, had matured his attitude and personallity (anger problems are an issue for boys in my family, myself included) to a point where he could engage in mature situations with peers and elders alike. then and only then would I let him play a game such as this. That being said, however, If I were to catch him doing or saying anything inappropriate I would take the game away for a time depending on how bad it was. I would also limit him to playing about 5 hours total during the week (about an hour a day, if moderated) and a reasonable amount of time over the weekend. school work, athletics, and family time would be excptions to the above rules, real life always come befare a video game.

Just depends on the kid. If they can differentiate between what's real and what's make believe it shouldn't be an issue.   Of course every parent is different when it comes to chores, schooling and extra curricular's. My brother and I were probably 7-9 when mortal kombat came out back in the day and we turned out just fine.

id say 12ish. although, my 8 year old nephew plays it with me and my brother in law every now and then and is fine. he is actually pretty good with shotguns! i don't think little kids should be able to play unattended or with a mic. but every parent, and every child is different. some of the most respectful people i have played this game with have been either the really young kids or the older adults. i tend to think the real problem lies with the 16-24 year olds. lol.

12. No less or they will squeak. O_O

My boy started playing cod at the age of 9, nearly 10. We don't use a mic but he does use the clans team speak when other members children play. They have their own junior channel as an indication to the adults that swearing should not take place. They usually play a few public matches, get bored then go into private mode and treat the maps like a virual playground. Its sometimes alot of fun to watch, and makes me glad that they don't go out and play with real guns and explosives.

No violent games for my kids. I'll buy them Mario, Zelda & Kirby.

My 10 year old loves to play BlackOps Combat training, and we have played spec ops together, but no way in heck would I let her play 'online' with the public. I decided that years ago when I heard some old pervert trying to pick up, what was obviously, a very young female player (she said she was 13).

You want scary? My nephew is allowed to play Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3, both single player and multiplayer. He's 4 years old.

Average age of a typical CoD player I would say would be 12.

Old saying:

More people play Call of Duty than Pokemon

More mature people play Pokemon than Call of Duty

After going online and joining just 2-3 games, I'm starting to think it's true...

Ok so I am not sure you are aware that there are clans/armies in the Call of Duty community that have the rulle you must be a certain age to join. In my oppinion those are the mature clans, I'm not saying everysingle one of them is as mature as the next but they do have their own level of maturity. No the clan/army I come from is the OG army. No, not Original Gangsters, we are OG as in Old Guyz. We are a clan of older, more mature players who mostly play CoD on the Wii. We have recently opened up the army to PS3 players also. To join the OGz you must be 30 years or older. That is our big rule. We are over 500 members strong and still growing. We are at thr top of the MW3 top 100 clans.

Sorry, I got off topic. Well the fact that clans/armies like the OG are around proves my point of, that nt everyone you play CoD with is a little immature squeaker. Member of the OGz do have children and many of those children join the clan because of their parwnts. Most, if not all, are very good players and act very mature with or without OGz in the lobby.

Now if it were my child, and I saw him acting immature and being noisy when he wasn't supposed to be I would take the copy of MW3 away for a few days so that neither he nor I could play. The reasoning behind this is so that I could have  nice conversation with him and teach him a few things along the way. (That is if I had a child). What I say to parents who give their 8-12 year-olds CoD, is good for you, for having thatt ammount of trust in your child. I would also ask them to make sure that the child does not abuse that trust. 

I think that if a child between 12-13 can play if they always have good grades but no mic.

The problem with the swearing is with the 15-20 year olds they think that they are a mature man and they can swear a lot.

I'm 14 and I play cod bo2 every day my mum and dad don't care so any age over 12

In all honesty, I've been gaming since Atari.. granted it was my dads but we comprised on games I could play.. what I believe is important is that the child is able to distinguish between real life and a movie/game.. sometimes the line is so blurred for kids.. the maturation and upbringing of the child has a lot to do with it.. parents use these things as a babysitter rather than a reward.. that being said it is ultimately dependent on the parents parenting style and the maturity of the kid.. I've always played somewhat violent games, but my dad played them with me and monitored me..

i say that it depends on your maturity if he acts like a mature man ill let him play but if its like every other child in COD just screaming and doin wahtsoever to piss peole forget bout it

You are right to assume said age group...I am not a parent, and within those parameters. I started playing violent video games at age 13 only because my parents thought I was mature and responsible enough...Although, I'm not alowwed to cuss or message people with any profanity. I play in the living room, so I'm monitored 24/7. And, I play in moderation depending on my studies. So, I guess you could say it depends on the responsibility and/or maturity of the child as per the rating of the game.

IIt's all about trust really if the game influences the child then take it off them

simples