9 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2012 3:05 PM by Ungrateful_Dead RSS

Can't get into 50 ping matches. Any advise?

I have 20mb x 5mb vDSL internet service.(20dwn/5up) My ping is always between 21 and 25. My bandwith is in the 3400's. Jitter is 0. My PS3 has a static IP. My DSL modem is ported for MW3 and i'm using a wired connection. I can do ping tests all day long and it's always between 21 and 25 ping. For some reason i can't ever find 50 ping lobbies. If i'm lucky i'll sometimes find 75 ping matches but MOST of the time(8 out of 10),it tries to put me in a 100 or 125 ping lobby. It makes me host almost every game that i start in a fresh lobby. But it's never a 50 ping lobby. Even tho my ping is in the low 20's.

I called Activision last week and told the guy what was going on and he had no answer for me. So he puts me on hold and asked someone else and their suggestion was for me to play during off peak hours.(like 2 to 6 am). Yeah right. I don't know what else i can do. Century Link has sent several techs to my house and they all say that i have a realy good connection. My ping could be a bit lower than 21 but 21 isin't too bad. It's still way below 50 which should put me in 50 ping matches right? Any ideas or suggestions? I don't know what else to do. Activision doesn't know what to do too. Is the Matchmaking messed up? Anyone else have having this issue?

Latest reply: on May 30, 2012 3:05 PM by Replies: 9 in CoD: MW3 PlayStation 3
        • Test #1
          Re: Can't get into 50 ping matches. Any advise?

NAT is OPEN too.

Last Edited: May 15, 2012 11:55 PM
          • Test #1

Did you forward all game and psn specific portranges to your ps3's ip?

Is upnp disabled on your ps3?

Last Edited: May 16, 2012 12:04 AM
              • Test #1

If i disable UPNP i get a moderate NAT. The only way i get an open NAT is to enable UPNP.Yes i have a static  ip to my PS3. All the ports for MW3 and Black Ops are forwarded. Per Activision. I even tried DMZ but same outcome. No 50 ping matches. Black Ops works great,it's just MW3 that's giving me problems. I still get 4 bars when i host but mostly 3 bars when someone else is host.

Last Edited: May 16, 2012 12:18 AM
              • Test #1

Did you asign your ps3 static ip on ps3 itself or/and did you reserve a specific ip for your ps3's mac adress on your router?

Last Edited: May 16, 2012 12:14 AM
                • Test #1

Where do you live? It's all about location. I reall wouldn't worry about getting put into high ping lobbies, even a 50ms lobby will still be completely unplayable in this game. Just throw the game into the garbage or trade it in if you don't feel guilty about passing this steaming pile of feces onto another poor sucker.

Last Edited: May 16, 2012 12:39 AM
                  • Test #1

i amhaving the exact same problem have no idea what it is

Last Edited: May 29, 2012 3:12 PM
                    • Test #1
                      • I do not get into 50ping matches if playing DLC, however switching them off allows me 50ping matches but even then I have to try maybe 3-5 times sometimes more.  I do not play 75 ping matches anymore too many unplayable games, although there can be a few shockers at 50 ping but not as many.

• I did however play last night for a few hours (50 ping non DLC) and can actually say every game bar 2 (slightly laggy but still playable) I felt like I was on a level playing field, enjoyed it and hope it continues.

• For ref I have Sky fibre 40 down 2 up based in Leeds, England.
                      Last Edited: May 30, 2012 2:16 PM
                      • Test #1

As the experts here will probably tell you, ping isn't everything.  That ping test you do online isn't necessarily relevant to PSN/MW3.  The game is checking available players/pings and trying to put them together.  The more players online with similar pings, the better chance you have of getting into a low ping lobby.

First, your ping test is only relative to where you are testing it to, and that test isn't relevant to PSN and the MW3.  Secondly, if you are playing solo you may have more problems getting into lower ping lobbies than if you played in a full party.  As the game searches for matches, the closer, low ping lobbies are normally full up/in-progress.  As the search widens in area/ping, the more chance you have of getting into lobbies with openings.

I live in an area that is relatively low population density and rarely see matches under 100 ms ping while playing solo, even with decent broadband internet.  In fact I pull host fairly often in these lobbies, so if you know about lag comp, imagine how bad it is when there are 100s of ms between players - you are basically screwed as host.  However, when playing in a party, we manage to get in much lower ping match-ups and get sub-50 ms 4 bar lobbies all night long.

Last Edited: May 30, 2012 3:05 PM