37 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2011 7:16 PM by Shadowdoggy RSS

ideas for possible avengers video game.

If an avengers video game is made what do you think would make it a good game?

• Re: ideas for possible avengers video game.

I really wish that they would make an avengers earth's mightiest heroes game. One where you can play as each of the avengers seperately, not like MUA but more like x-men mutant apocalypse or x-men the official game. Although I kind of wish you can play as bad guys too. I also think that Beenox should make this game.

christiankid7

Beenox should get all the MArvel titles, take them away from SEGA, Iron Man 2 was severly disappointing

I agree with superWG and christiankid7 that beenox should replace sega but i just wouldnt want beenox to make a combat system like they do in there spiderman games. they should make combat in the avengers videogame similar to batman arkham asylum and to captain america super soldier.

christiankid7

Iron man should have tech-based attacks and Hacking technology {Meaning he could hack into enemy AI and have them fight the enemy}

The psp version of iron man 2 did have the hacking and stuff, and that version wasn't so bad. But it would be nice if beenox made all the marvel titles, and the combat system should be more like in x-men origins wolverine.

christiankid7

AntMan I think should have levels built around his size changing abilities

Hawkeye

Beenox should get all the MArvel titles, take them away from SEGA, Iron Man 2 was severly disappointing

I've been told Cap: Super Soldier is actually really good.  I think Sega is losing the rights to the movie games anyway, though I don't see Beenox getting them since they've taken over the Spidey stuff.  Maybe we'll see Raven take up the Avenger reigns, I think the only thing they're doing right now is DLC for CoD.

The way I envision an Avengers games is, essentially, M:UA, but up close and personal, and with an improved combat system which allows combos, quick takedowns, and so on. The travel powers should also be revamped, and have more value in combat. Imagine, not only being able to hover as Iron Man, but be able to fly around the area at a considerable (but still manageable speed) dropping bombs on enemies. And not as a power, mapped to a trigger and button, but a dynamic thing you can initiate while flying around.

Powers should also be more in depth. There'd still be just four core powers, so that everything is nice and smooth (unlike with the micromanaging in M:UA1) but you can use them in different ways. For example, my sample powerset for Thor:

Thor

A: Hammmer Toss/ Thunder Strike (hold)

B: Mighty Swing/ Lightning Smash (hold)

X: Conduit

Y: Electric Whirlwinds

By just pressing A for instance, you get a quick hammer toss which can knock down enemies and returns to Thor, with Thor not changing his position, good for if you need to keep your distance but still want to soften an enemy up. But by holding it, you do slower but more powerful move, which also brings Thor up close with the enemy to follow up with either a mighty swing (you know what I'm talking about if you played MUA2) or a radial, electric damaged based move that takes a bit longer and leaves Thor open for a second.

By applying multiple functions to the core buttons, a player can quickly and effectively switch tactics by using what's technically more than 4 powers, but without any clutter.

Also, after playing MvC3, I would have it so that fusions are replaced with a much more dynamic system of assists. If you, as Iron Man, do a Rocket Uppercut on an enemy, you could follow that up by calling Hulk to do a mid air tackle by quickly pressing a button dedicated to quick assisting. The classic Fastball Special could also be tied into this somehow. I'm still brainstorming about this.

But that's just my two cents on an Avengers game. Doesn't specifically have to be movie based, and should have the development time and sweet care that it deserves, not what SEGA would allow it. Though in my powersets, I have incorporated some elements from the movie incarnations of the characters. For instance, instead of the now kind of lame nano burst or whatever it's called, I gave Iron Man the laser attack used at the end of IM2 as his radial.

Also, since Hero HQ seems so fond of character lists, my rather modest wishlist is:

Iron Man

Captain America

Thor

Hulk

Black Widow

Hawkeye

Wasp

Yellow Jacket

Vision

Black Panther

Ms. Marvel

Tigra

Spider Woman

Doctor Strange

Scarlet Witch

A nice mixture of familiar characters, and characters who have not been playable before, while also staying true to more classic renditions of the Avengers roster (sorry Spidey and Logan, you're just too tacked on for my tastes. I love you, but you're not Avengers). Would also give the developers room for experimentation. For instance, how do you program a guy who can shrink and grow? Or one who's powers are based on probability? Despite not being qualified, I'm still trying to figure that out myself, though it's more of a challenge for actual game developers.

Jadryx

Well there WAS an Avengers game in the works to tie in with the movie.  However the company making it (THQ) shut down the studio in Australia that was in charge of development.  It doesn't sound like the game is getting transferred to another office either.  I wonder if anyone else will pick it up (although if they do they'll be REALLY rushed to release it along with the movie and the chances of it being a piece of crap go up.)

http://www.shadowlocked.com/201108102058/news/avengers-video-game-cancelled.html

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=45337 (some test footage and concept art)

Maybe someday we'll get a quality Avengers game.

Hawkeye

Excuse me while I go cry in the corner for a couple hour. :P

Haha, but man, what the hell does a guy gotta do to get a friggin Avengers game already?  They've got an awesome cartoon, several solo movies and cartoons, the big Avengers film on the way, and the comics have been relevant with top ten sales and events.  On the one hand, I'm actually happy that the THQ one looks to be cancelled since Thor looked absolutely awful.  He moved and looked like a troll and I'm not a fan of the Ultimate stuff.  But the crappy part of it is that I'm likely to go another year with no Avengers game.  Captain America and the Avengers came out in 1991!

here's a link to the video since Jad's link to the animation video requires a password.

Jadryx

Oops.  Sorry about the password thing.  I posted that from work where the video is actually blocked (was going to watch it later) so I didn't realize it required a password.  Thanks for the new link.  I think you're right about Thor looking rather troll-like but I do like the looks of the graphics in general.  I'm not sure if those would end up being cut scenes or actual in game stuff but seeing Thor smash a door or Cap breaking stuff with his shield to open it was pretty cool.  Guess that's all we'll see from this one though.

Hawkeye

Yup, I love them using their weapons to smash stuff.  I hope more stuff will get leaked just out of curiosity to see what they were planning.

Wow that looks awesome, imagine playing online team deathmatch on that game :O

Shame its cancelled, I really liked the Marvel fighting game that got cancelled as well. All these rushed movie games and this one gets cancelled, for shame.

SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know! This is a disaster! That gameplay footage completely exceeded my expectations. Many people are complaining about it being first

person, but now that I've seen the gameplay, I'd say it's a really nice break from the MUA/XML style of gameplay.

AND...

Multiplayer co-op! With assists! (Iron Man or Thor knocking enemies up into the air, opening them up for Hulk or Cap, etc.)

It was more about an Avengers game getting canned than how good it is. :P

Yeah I agree, its a nice change from MUA and 3rd person. I never thought a 1st person Marvel game would work but I would buy that.

I would love to see a straight up action game

in the vein of old school beat'em ups

with TONS of levels and enemies

a great cast of classic Avengers

a huge variety of level types

and ....oh yeah, FUN!

games take themselves too serious now

that's one of the huge reason MUA2 wasn't as popular

games about comic characters need to be FUN!!!!!

and....

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=46408

this FOOTAGE IS AMAZING!

I so hope this game some how comes to be

Hawkeye

Poor Thor, what did he ever do to get such an ugly character model.  It looks like he has a bowl cut in the gameplay videos.  It's too bad they didn't give him the classic or Coipel look for Thor.  Hulk also has some horrible proportions going on.  In the little camera pan around characters bit it looks like 3/4s of his arm is forearm with a tiny little bicep.  Interesting that they went with the Sweat-On armor for Iron Man, though it looks really awesome!  Cap is alright, though I don't like the Ultimate outfit and him and Thor kinda look like they have their shirts painted on.  I could do without the rippling back muscles, haha.

The gameplay footage just makes me think that first person fighting for a superhero game isn't the way to go, at least for this group.  If you want to see them do anything cool, like Cap kicking the Skrull in the chest and stealing his gun or Hulk smashing a Skrull into a container, they gotta switch to 3rd person.  Fallout 3 does the flip-flopping perspectives (if you play first person) but the occasional slow motion shotgun blast to the face is different than the Cap or Hulk examples since that's the type of stuff they do all the time.  I guess the perspective switching highlights it as something awesome instead of it getting a bit stale if you can spam it a hundred times a level, but it seems like they're cutting off the potential gameplay options just for a couple seconds of something looking cool.  Though I doubt it's possible it'd be fun to see what all of this would be like as a third person perspective.

The colors of the levels look a bit washed and muted for my tastes and graphics could be a bit sharper on the backgrounds, though it looks like the level design has lots of big open spaces to play around in!  Maybe a bit Halo-y, but I imagine it would be plenty of fun!  Still for all their comments about not wanting to make a crappy movie tie-in, I kinda get the impression it would be just that.  I don't get as many good vibes off this that I did for the Cap: Super Soldier game.

Did anyone watch the interview video?  Would the only playable characters have been Cap, Thor, IM, and Hulk, I didn't seen anyone else in the trailers.  If so, that kinda sucks.  They shoulda had at least one female option and make Hulk an unlockable character or pre-order exclusive.  Hawkeye would be great in this too.

Aside from Super Soldier, it still looks a whole lot better than any of the other SEGA tie in games. And as for complaints about the graphics, the footage we saw was just in Alpha. That means it still had a lot of ground to cover. Major tweaks and changes could have been made still, if it had not been cancelled.

I have to disagree, I think the first person works rather well with this bunch. Gives me a sort of AvP vibe. And if Dead Island could pull off a first person melee system too, who says this couldn't?

Anyways, I almost wonder if it's delayed, rather than cancelled. Why would they be so restrictive on the footage (since that new footage has already been copyright pulled), if it were dead? Why does THQ say they closed down the studio for expansion and reorganizing?

If all is right in the world, they still have the source code, and if the Brisbane studio indeed doesn't get reopened, will be transferred to another THQ studio.

Jadryx

Aw man I didn't get to see it before it was taken down.  In general I don't think that first person perspective is the best for these type of games.  I want to see the awesome looking superhero...not just his/her hands!

Aw man I didn't get to see it before it was taken down.  In general I don't think that first person perspective is the best for these type of games.  I want to see the awesome looking superhero...not just his/her hands!

they all seemed to have a few moves where the camera pulls back and you see them finish off an enemy

it was surprisingly AWESOME

I'm not a fan of 1st person, but this was epic

fast, kinetic, tons of teamwork between the 4 characters

it looked like they were really onto something

...Thor's hnad movements were a little off...

the way he summoned lightning looked weird

but it was still in progress

what a shame

...oh yeah, HI JADRYX!!!

Jadryx

Hey Shadowdoggy!  Good to see you're back at the HQ again.

Hey Shadowdoggy!  Good to see you're back at the HQ again.

thanks!

the game is so close to release

and I've seen so many interviews and footage that I just had to join the conversation

...and I was bored...

;)

Hawkeye

@Shadowblade - Saying a game looks better than the Thor tie isn't saying that much though, haha.  I didn't play it, but, man, did that game look rough.  For the Avengers trailers I'm more concerned with the aesthetics than the pure graphical power though.  Fallout 3 and Borderlands both have nice graphics with different art styles, but you just go from one brown level to another and while it's fitting in the context of the games, it gets a bit boring after to see brown level after brown level.  My favorite bits of Borderlands is when you got to The Vault cause it's white and snowy opposed to more barren brown land.

I haven't played Dead Island or followed so dunno how it's down there, but I have Condemned which is pretty melee heavy and Fallout 3/Oblivion with their melee weapons.  All it just seems to be just running around smashing people with stuff.  You can jump around and stuff, but I don't think it's right for superheroes.  Batman: AA wouldn't have been what it was if it had been made a first person game.  I don't think Avengers should copy Batman: AA and just slap Avengers in it (as well as it worked for Cap: Super Soldier), but I think they have the right idea as far the camera positioning goes.

I don't know, I don't think it necessarily means much.  THQ/Marvel might just not want sketchy footage floating around that they think could reflective badly on them or future possible Avengers games.  For the longest time Edios blocked footage of the cancelled Tomb Raider 10th Anniversary game by Core when they had no intentions of letting them finish it.

@Jad - I saved the videos onto my computer.  Lemme know if you want me to e-mail ya them or something!

I hope the Avengers movie-based game isn't so terrible that it ruins the notion of EVER making a decent Avengers game

damn X-men

they get all the good merchandise

....HI HAWKEYE!

Well again, as far as aesthetics go, it was in alpha. A whole array of things in game development still need polishing when a game is in alpha.

And you're entitled to your own opinion, but my opinion is that the gameplay looked very good for a first person super hero game, and while it doesn't look ideal, doesn't mean it can't work. For instance, I wasn't used to playing a Xenomorph in first person in any of the AvP games, but it all turned out for the best in the long run, and at least the Avengers promised camera cut aways to show the heroes do their thing.

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=46661

They're still doing a game for the movie. Sounds as though they may be starting from scratch, which means it may just be another rush job

(though if it's regardless, as good as Super Soldier was, I'll still pick it up. Hell, the only MCU game I haven't played is Thor, and I don't really want to, even if it was free).

Jadryx

I was just about to post that! :lol:

I'm sure they would like to release it along with the movie but hopefully they take their time, make a quality game, and maybe release it along with the DVD or something (if they're insistent on capitalizing on the buzz for the movie).  I'd rather have a good game than a game out at the same time as the movie just for the sake of cashing in.

Hawkeye

Hey Shadowdoggy!  Sorry for the slow reply, got hit with the weird login glitch.  You keeping up with all the leaks from the Avengers filming?  It's looking pretty awesome!

Yeah, I'm worried about it getting rushed out too.  Hopefully they do the right thing and not throw out a crappy game to go with the movie.  Whichever dev gets the rights would have to make a game in under a year which is pretty crazy.

Rogue_Shadow

I don't think making a game in this short amount of time is... possible. Or at least, a game that's worth playing.  I mean, that's the most ridiculously short amount of time ever to make a game.  It'd probably take that long to make a little downloadable game.  And not even a good one.

Hawkeye

I'm sure they could make a simple sidescroller beat-em-up for XBL or PSN and I would have a ton of fun with Avengers themed game like, but I don't know about a regular retail game.  Most retail games take three years to develop and even if they do lift character designs and stuff from the comics/cartoon/movie, I think I'd be pretty tight.

Rogue_Shadow

Yeah, something like that'd be pretty cool, actually.  I just don't get the feeling they'd do something like that.  If you make a full retail movie game, some people will still buy it, no matter how rushed and terrible it is.

Hawkeye

Yeah, it's pretty unlikely, but man, would I jump at the chance of buying that!

Hey Shadowdoggy!  Sorry for the slow reply, got hit with the weird login glitch.  You keeping up with all the leaks from the Avengers filming?  It's looking pretty awesome!

Yeah, I'm worried about it getting rushed out too.  Hopefully they do the right thing and not throw out a crappy game to go with the movie.  Whichever dev gets the rights would have to make a game in under a year which is pretty crazy.

no worries

:)

I hope the Avengers movie game isn't awful

I really really hope