38 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2012 7:37 AM by TheGilmore RSS

"True Scale" for Multiplayer

gallp13

It looks as if 3arc could be introducing the mlg ranking system "True Sale" into BO2 multiplayer.

If so, the effect of true scale will be to better match gamers with team members and opponents of equivalent skill in public multiplayer games.

Just think......

1. Team mates who play objectives

2. No more 2/20 split screeners on your team

3. On more easy kills - bye bye Xmas noobs

4. More competitive and tough matches

5. Fewer moabs and such

6. Fewer "wod up" you tube game play vids.

7. Real Opportunity to build skills

All up I welcome this innovation if it comes.......thoughts of wise most welcome.

Source: Opticscumpy of Optic plus Vonderhaar "4 more placement" tweet 7 Aug props to Iflyillini for the pick up.

• Re: "True Scale" for Multiplayer
          nicedrewishfela

How does this work? Seems like a difficult thing to achieve in a community where stats are misleading...

nicedrewishfela

Woody has an interesting take on it....

USAFEsty

I like that idea. Also a playlist for clans to play where you have to have a team of six, and you find another clan of six players. Could be a ranked match as he suggested.

iivrruummii

It will be based on who you win or lose against.  Everyone starts at the same rank and if you start beating the people you play against then you rank up.  You will keep ranking up/down over 100s or even 1000s of games until you hit your "Trueskill" rank.  KD is not the objective of ranking up and has no influence on how you rank up.  If your team wins you rank up.  If your team loses you derank, but this is not always the case.  It depends mostly on who is on your team and who is on the other team.

Example from Halo 3...

Your team...

45,46,46,47    avg-46

Vs...

50,50,50,50    avg-50

If you win against a team much higher that you then you rank up dramatically and if you lose you lose very little because the ODDS were against you to win.  But if you are the team of 50s you have to win to keep your rank because the ODDS are in your favor. 

It really isn't based on W/L but on who are playing with and who you win or lose against.

The Halo 3 Trueskill ranking system was just an example, but I can see it being similar to it.

Vincenzo2xs

Come on keep it simple all that we need is Ranked Playlists and Average Playlists

Not this stupid team thing

Ranked: Search and Destroy, Deathmatch, Capture The Flag, Domination

Average: Search and Destroy, Deathmmatch, Capture The Flag, Domination, Demolition Team Objective, Kill Confirmed

Wager: Gun Game, 1 In The Chamber, Sticks and Stones

You will also be ranked on your Wins, Kills, Deaths and that sort of thing

And also Who wants to be ranked from there team, cause what if your team sucks and you end up losing thats why it's based on from player to player not team

vims1990

iivrruummii wrote:

It will be based on who you win or lose against.  Everyone starts at the same rank and if you start beating the people you play against then you rank up.  You will keep ranking up/down over 100s or even 1000s of games until you hit your "Trueskill" rank.  KD is not the objective of ranking up and has no influence on how you rank up.  If your team wins you rank up.  If your team loses you derank, but this is not always the case.  It depends mostly on who is on your team and who is on the other team.

Example from Halo 3...

Your team...

45,46,46,47    avg-46

Vs...

50,50,50,50    avg-50

If you win against a team much higher that you then you rank up dramatically and if you lose you lose very little because the ODDS were against you to win.  But if you are the team of 50s you have to win to keep your rank because the ODDS are in your favor. 

It really isn't based on W/L but on who are playing with and who you win or lose against.

The Halo 3 Trueskill ranking system was just an example, but I can see it being similar to it.

But isn't that flawed concept of "true skill" if say a party/clan were playing a team of randoms?

The only way I'd see this working if solo players play other solo players & parties get matchmaked with other parties which generally evens the chance of either team winning.

RoeParcRanger

Well black ops actually counted your objectives as well as your kills and deaths so one would hope they are better suited to bring this about.

I think this is a horrible idea. Sure, I have a 3.0 K/D , and 2.9 W/L , but in reality, i really don't like to try hard every single game just to maintain those stats. If I had those stats I would be matched up against the worlds best and sometimes that would be fine, but I can already tell if would be drop shot and MLG pro gameplay which isn't really fun at all.

dtuchpunk

True scale doesn't say me anything. But likely based on kills and k/s so in most gametypes it says ****

gallp13

Kd and wl against matched players bring it on.

This is the first I am hearing of this, so I'm not sure that I understand.

But if matchmaking for the best connections between players is not the priority, I will be in a mild state of panic.

RoeParcRanger

I agree.
                                  Well true skill on halo works very well, they don't mess around with their lag compensation as much as CoD have. They found how it worked best and left it like that.

vims1990

xblbw wrote:

But if matchmaking for the best connections between players is not the priority, I will be in a mild state of panic.

This is one of my concerns regarding a "True Skill Matchmaking System"

I'd like to be put to the challenge against similar or better players but will this matchmaking system place me in the best possible match in terms of connection as well?

Will I have to wait longer for a match as it's trying to place me against similar players of "skill"?

We all know connection is a part of doing well or poorly in COD.

iidarkshadowoo

vims1990 wrote:

xblbw wrote:

This is one of my concerns regarding a "True Skill Matchmaking System"

I'd like to be put to the challenge against similar or better players but will this matchmaking system place me in the best possible match in terms of connection as well?

Will I have to wait longer for a match as it's trying to place me against similar players of "skill"?

We all know connection is a part of doing well or poorly in COD.

That's a good point. I am now rising to "slightly concerned."

gallp13

I am guessing true scale will be a game mode only like hardcore. Reason folks won't enjoy wearing the tryhard duds all the time.

Dont worry, I say, pub stomping with be with us in BO2.

But I reckon there will be a true scale logo that is displayed on your player card for extra prestige.....just a thought.

i got a 1.15 KD ratio in MW2 without tryharding. that is above avridge adn half the people still tryhard. i pull out tryhard only to counter when the whole game is tryharders.  but i have 6 times more kills with my normal guns each than my tryhard and i have 2times more normal guns per tryhard.

thats ruffly 12times more kills on normal guns than tryhard classes.

i dont mind a skill system but how will it work in FFA were W/L above .25 is good.

i did like the systems that have a starting say 5000 skill. it goes up or down depending on how well you do. TDM will be K/D ratio, other gamemodes will be mix of K/D ratio, objective and W/L ect. losing to a high skill has next to know effect but losing ot a much lower skill will have a huge effect.

iivrruummii

Kill/death DOESN'T matter.  I don't understand why people don't understand this.  You can still win by going quite negative, but you won and that is ALL THAT MATTERS.  Once people start getting higher ranked then it will get harder to keep a 2.0kd.  The people in the top .001% will probably have a 1.5kd at the highest, while someone in the top 20% could have a higher KD because all they do is kill whore and ignore objectives to win.  KD doesn't support team play but winning does.  So just stop thinking that KD means anything.

You can go 30-1 and still loose because you ignore the objectives and aren't a team player, this will cause your rank to be lower than other people that actually play the objective and help your team win but go even or slightly positive.

greencoffin72

All I have to say i that anything MLG is complete dog turds and should be flushed accordingly.

As one mentioned above, I jsut want to play how I play and see how I stack up in the world.  The ranking system that BO had was fine.  All that needs fixing is removing K/D from any and all objective games.  K/D would only be displayed for FFA and TDM; Kill Confirmed would only display Confirms and Denies, period.

rankismet

greencoffin72 wrote:

All I have to say i that anything MLG is complete dog turds and should be flushed accordingly.

As one mentioned above, I jsut want to play how I play and see how I stack up in the world.  The ranking system that BO had was fine.  All that needs fixing is removing K/D from any and all objective games.  K/D would only be displayed for FFA and TDM; Kill Confirmed would only display Confirms and Denies, period.

They simply need to redo the algorithm for calculating the leaderboards... but I disagree about removing KDR from objective games... kills matter.

I'm not to keen on this idea it sort of forces you to be competitive I just want to have fun with the game without worrying about being deranked or losing.

I know it is way to early to make any conclusions, but I'm starting to think BOII muliplayer might not be for me, as connectivity just won't allow it. The warning signs are starting to pile up.

Fractuted player base. "True Scale" matchmaking, potential MW3 style Elite playlists, and the popularity of Zombies, all contributing.

Also I have read some unconfimed material about another feature that will send game play straight to the net, which I imagine would have to place an additional burden on network resources.

Anyway, I suppose theres only one way to find out for sure.

iivrruummii

Not going to get it for the campaign?

I'll get it, and take a punt on the multiplayer, but I  won't play the campaign. I find the campaign a bit shallow.

But I may cancel my pre-order for the hardened and presteige editions (I have one of each pre-ordered).

MW3 has  beaten me into submission for the moment. Packed the xbox up on the weekend (though it doesnt take long to unpack ). And I'm not interested in a repeat of my MW3 connection issues.

The other thing that complicates issues is that they are laying fibre optic cable to the premies in my suburb right now. Maybe that will fix everything (it should for what it costs).

iidarkshadowoo

xblbw wrote:

I'll get it, and take a punt on the multiplayer, but I  won't play the campaign. I find the campaign a bit shallow.

How so?

I suppose I am a bit of a collecter and a grinder. I like to unlock all the guns, attachments, perks and have everything, and do it over hundreds of hours experimenting with different combinations. The single player doesnt really cater to the sort of experience for me.

If I want to play a single player game, In a perfect world it would be with COD mechanics, but with Fallout 3 depth.

This system is fine with me I mean it caters to a different type of player so I'm pretty sure there will be an option to cater to social gamers than competitive ones and vice versa. I do think KD is pointless because I've been in plenty matches goofing around in TDM and went 30 and 2 and my team still lost...KD encourages selfish play than playing for the goal of the mode. And personally it shows zero skill. Nobody cares if you gotta dumb high KD because we all know you can get owned the next day and drop drastically and rage quit like most do to keep it so bleh. One thing they should take from Halo is if you quit matches you have to SIT OUT FROM PLAY FOR X AMOUNT OF MINUTES...kill ragers thus stopping host migrations and etc.....