47 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2012 4:21 PM by TickTak RSS

Anti Camp Sniper Feature - Nice

Apologies to all if this has been posted.

But just realized that sniper bullets leave contrails in BO2.

Sure, it helps the sniper with accurate shots, but it is a dead give away as to snipers position.

I like this feature. Do you?

• Re: Anti Camp Sniper Feature - Nice

Most people don't use snipers that way in CoD. The game needs much larger and more open maps for that playstyle to be effective.

A good idea, but it will make little difference to the gameplay dynamics.

I do not like this feature. The reason behind it was so snipers could see what went wrong with their shot but I think any good or soon to be good sniper can figure out what went wrong themselves. And I hope they don't have this trail on silenced snipers.

Yes its pretty crazy if im getting shot at by range by some sniper hidden in a bush and i have no idea where its comming from. This will give me a good chance to retaliate

In my experience at being getting shot at by range from snipers it not the first bullet, its always the second one that finds its mark. And if they get a hit marker with their first shot, its ALWAYS the second bullet that get this kill.

So i stand by what i say

the good snipers are gonna hate it, dosent make to many odds to me. iron sight ballister is gonna be the one for me.

i thought though being a sniper would already be dificult if you show up on the radar when your not moving?

its pretty funny how cod gameplay has evolved to the point where snipers are not expected to camp anymore.  of course, its more fun with these features, but thats how arcade shooters are

I feel that this feature is unnecessary it defeats the purpose of being a traditonal sniper now snipers are even easier to spot out. Snipers already show up on the radar after each shot we can't use silencers because it greatly reduces damage whats the point of the bullet trail?  Ghost has been nerfed to the point were its useless on sniper rifles and from observation the maps in bo2 seem to be cqc focused like in mw3 trying to play as a stealthy sniper in bo2 is going to be quite the challenge.

brsox

I hate camping snipers. I am glad they cant hide with ghost and are going to leave the trail!

nicedrewishfela

It is a good feature. Good snipers will still be able to hold their position if they have picked a good, defensible location. The difference now is... like a real sniper... you may have to displace if your position is compromised.

No longer will players just have to accept random death from God knows where. Good snipers won't have an issue... the player they aim for will be dead. Other clevel snipers will take their shot, displace and then watch the spot they just shot from, taking out the guys who come hunting for them.

I love this idea. I thought it was brilliant in BF3 (especially needed in that game as you would never be able to find a sniper otherwise). Would like to even see this expand to seeing glare off of the Sniper's scope.

I agree that it is pretty cool. But if that sniper misses his first shot on me, he's usually screwed. I look right at my mini map and can just tell where he prob is. Chances are he's in the same spot or spots I go to also, considering I suck at sniping.

They seem to give Snipers more and more of a disadvantage. Nice to see them give Snipers something useful... or try too anyway. I am not pro or anti quickscoping. But how could anyone ask Snipers in previous COD's to be a realistic Sniper with the spawns so messed up sometimes.

Sure it seems reasonable to ask Snipers to be a long distance weapon who finds a good spot to lock down, until one member of your team travels too far towards the back of the map. Spawns flip and the Sniper only has his secondary. Of course this problem is fixed if you are in a full party. But it is an instant headache if you have even one random on your team who only wants to run and gun around the map.

That seems to be the big reason Quickscopers use for Quickscoping. I have a few suggestions but some in the Sniper side of the argument don't want to hear them.

The first obvious answer is that not all maps need Snipers (Nuketown for example). Some maps are too small and/or too crowded to warrant the use of a Sniper Rifle.

The second is to have more than one spot for sniping. Anyone who posts up in a spot and kills the enemy player will have there position instantly given away. Whether you are using a Sniper Rifle, SMG, AR, LMG... whatever. The Killcam will be showing where you are shooting from as well as the radar (assuming you are not using a suppresser). After a few kills and/or a few minutes move to a new spot. Of course the major issue here is the spawns.

Third is try to find a primary to replace your secondary weapon. No more information needed on this topic.

Camping to me is different from others definitions of camping

If you are crouch in the corner of some house on the outside of a map waiting for someone to walk through the door in Team Deathmatch... That's camping

If you are looking out the window of a 2 story building down at B Flag your team captured... that's defending, not camping.

When I use a Sniper Rifle, I am going to find positions to look down and kill the enemy who turns the corner down the street. Call it camping all you like

But this means if your sniping there is three possible ways for enemy to track you down. Bullet Trail, Any tracking poinstreak, and the red dot posted on the map when you shoot.

After you first miss your position is compromised.

Why do snipers get this extra tracking add-on, and don't get the same attachments as most other guns?

katamariskill wrote:

But this means if your sniping there is three possible ways for enemy to track you down. Bullet Trail, Any tracking poinstreak, and the red dot posted on the map when you shoot.

After you first miss your position is compromised.

Why do snipers get this extra tracking add-on, and don't get the same attachments as most other guns?

After your first shot, your position is compromised... hit/kill or miss regardless. If it helps the Sniper in anyway for his next shot, then that's great

They don't get the same attachments as other guns because the type of weapon it is, and it's purpose is unlike the other guns

Let's see. COD4: sniping was noisy but effective if you had map management skills. Not overpowered as rarelyt was a sniper at the top of the scoreboard.

WAW: see above

MW2:  see above. Some quickscoping but it wasn't a great tactic on smallish maps.

BLOPS: Hard scoping became difficult and quick scoping evedn more so. Snipers nerfed by underpowered rifles as well.

MW3:  Auto Aim Quick Scoping runs rampant to the point that they are more widely used than Assault Rifles at times.

BLOPS2: Contrail-Radar visage if standing still. If you analyze this you have to wonder what was wrong with it in COD4, WAW and MW2? You find snipers by watching KILLCAMS which are not removed from the game. Why all the developer worry about them standing still? This isn't reality where there aren't map boundaries. How many spots can you really find with long sight lines, especially in Treyarch maps which are more organic than IW's.

I am glad that there are iron sight bolt rifles. Memories of my Kar98R still dance in my head......

Sniping is a lost art in CoD. The maps aren't really battlefields as they used to be. All close quarters, long range warfare is now an SMG and a pistol.

iivrruummii

Snipers are very effective weapons at medium to long range.  There will be more than enough sniper spots in BO2 just look at Turbine.  I mean really.

They're effective but sniping has turned into running around and quickscoping and noscoping and all that stuff. All snipers should be bolt-action.

iivrruummii

Your opinion.

Sniping requires a different playstyle than using a SMG.  But to be effective you need to guard an area and protect you teammates, even if it means you have to run around and quickscope and no scope.  As for all snipers being bolt-action that would be a terrible idea.  How about we have only one SMG, Rifle, LMG, and Shotgun too.

That's what I'm getting at, it isn't a different playstyle anymore (mind you the way we play/the people we come across may be vastly different), I rarely run into a sniper who is actually protecting an area and his teammates. I'm not saying Call of Duty has to be 100% real as that would suck, but I wouldn't join the Military and go in to battle and just start hipfiring a Barrett 8x and somehow beat the guy shooting me with an SMG. The way a player would run around with a machine gun is the same players run around with their snipers now.

iivrruummii

I think that there won't be a problem in BO2 with sniper especially in Leagues.  So I would say this doesn't really effect me directly.  I sniper only team will rarely beat a SMG/AR only team.  Snipers have such a disadvantage as it is they really don't need to be nerfed anymore than they already have.  Quickscoping or not a sniper takes more skill than any other weapon hands down.  Luck does play a part but it does with all weapons.

Agree, never played snipers apart from one day on MW3 mucking about with QSing to see if I could do it.

Just back to BO after 12 months and using snipers like a sniper. Good fun provided I know my spots take a shot and move to next spot.

Maps on BO2 have a number of promising spots from my top down studies.

For the record "nice" in the post title meant that I like the idea. I can get a seconded fast shot off at distance if I miss and then move. So I see the contrail as a positive when I use a sniper rife.

I would say sniping is a lost art, I personnaly pride myself as a traditional sniper even on MW3 (yer its really hard) which the only "sniper map" is black box (If it ever gets picked) and as such I will be using a sniper rifle like a sniper rifle, well except the balista but its way to hard to pass up the chance to re-live my W@W bolt-action days.

if you die to a sniper watch the killcam. they also have the distinct red dot, a easy area to look for them and fine them, and the silance makes them 2 hit kill most of the time.

I think the contrails adds a bit of realism to sniping the game was lacking in. And yes I brought up realism, dont like that not my problem. I do not really see it as a hinderance at all. Just means the sniper will have to be smarter on how they play and not rely just on the hide forever mechanic of past games.

A sniper is not meant to stay in one place the entire match, they are meant to move after a few kills. This contrail would mean either the sniper moves with the team to stay safe, or the team holds back and helps to defend the sniper.

BO2 is more centered around team play and team help, not lone wolf tactics. Stay with your team or communicate well with them to do good. Be a lone wolf and maybe find yourself on the short end of someone elses weapon more often than not.

The game was geared more towards team and competitive play and not toward rogue like me first play styles.

Tracers for the snipers is not to bad an idea at least I will be able to call out bull$hit when I headshot someone and it doesn't even get a HITMARKER ! Lol

As for people being able to see your position not really bothered I don't camp so I'm never in the same spot for long . So anything that discourages camping can only be good :)

Noob_Lyncher

I can see all the quickscopers making excuses for it. "I can't snipe because everyone treats sniping the same as camping and they made it so that I can't snipe without everyone knowing where I am all the time so I have to quickscope to get my awesome feeds."

I really don't care about the smoke trails since I hardly snipe. Even on MW3, I only snipe on 1 map.

Meh, I don't really see this making a big difference to be honest. Moreso in HC as core, you have the kill cam to tell you exactly where the sniper is LOL how is a little bit of a smoke trail going to be more help than that?

I see a lot of "camping, "not helping the team", blah blah blah. I am not a sniper by any means but there are a few maps I do snipe and the main purpose is defending the objective or a route to the objective but the biggest thing I do for my team is call out enemy troop movements. If I can't get the shot or the kill, I am constantly relaying the enemy' movement to my team mates. 

All guns smoke.  They are finally making it realistic.  Not anti camping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!