19 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2013 1:22 PM by Povey RSS

Ps3 shuts off by itself when playing black ops 2. Help

illstplaya2live

The ps3 has shut off by itself a total of 5 times so far. 3 times when I was changing settings and editing my player card and 2 times during games of team deathmatch in multiplayer. What I mean by the ps3 shutting off is out of the blue, the ps3 just shuts off with a blinking red light and 3 beeps. Then when I turn it back on it has to do the file restore and everything is fine. I have an 80gb ps3 4usb  and backward compatibility. My psn is illstplaya2live. Black ops 2 code is BLUS 31011. I live in Florida U.S.

• Re: Ps3 shuts off by itself when playing black ops 2. Help

Add your post into this thread, seems to be affecting a lot of us with the old fat PS3 models...

http://community.callofduty.com/message/413534038#413534038

Same here. PS3 randomly shuts off while playing BO2. Any other game works fine. Worst support ever. Customer Service is never available.Extremely frustrating.

Just want to clarify something with this issue....there is no fix!

This problem happens on the old ps3's because the hardware is being pushed so hard (and so creating more localised heat). Im having this problem and the same issue occured on Twisted Metal and Uncharted 3.

It more than likely due to cracked/broken solder joints under the RSX chip. When suffecient heat builds up the motherboard flexes, a crack in a connection for the chip disconnects and you get the automatic shutdown (If you watch the power light during the shutdown you will see a yellow light (i.e. ylod). The reason it comes back on straight after is because the system has shutdown, heat has been dissipated and the flex in the mothboard reconnects the cracked solder joint.

When I first got the game it was shutting down within minutes of loading, i wasn't even getting to play anything. I then performed a heatfix on the motherboard (using a PCB heater) to reset the flex in the board and sure enough I could play for a good few hours before I got the automatic shutdown again.

Anyway there is no easy software fix, its hardware related. Blame which ever governing body made lead free solder compulsory in consumer electronics. If the chips had leaded solder the issue wouldnt occur.

You could not be more wrong in your post.

If you read up on this issue it is affecting the newer PS3 slim systems all they way back to the early systems.

Well I havn't read up on this particular issue a huge deal (for blops 2) but it seems very reminisent of all the ball ache I encountered when trying to get a fix for the same issue with twisted metal.

In the little reading I have done it mainly affects the old systems however lets not forget slims are not exempt from the same issue occuring, they all create heat and they all have lead free solder. Its not impossible for a slim to develop this fault, it has nothing to do with the architecture other than the heat it creates.

We're talking about a very basic low level pcb fault, a crack in a solder joint, that is all. Its not outside the realms of possibility.

The only reason I would be hesitant to accept this is because the unit gets much hotter for other games.  It is still relatively cool to the touch when the shutdowns occur.  Also, there are videos on youtube where people are just sitting on menus or looking at options for campaign and they are getting the shutdown.  Just seems odd that it would happen like that when there is no stress on the system at all.

I totally hear what you're saying, it is really inconsistant.

Perhaps some games work a particular spu to the absolute limit that happens to have a faluty solder joint underneth it and that localised heat flexes that part of the board and causes the disconnect.

Flexing that causes disconnects becomes more of an issue with localised, inconsistant rise and fall in temperatures. If the board is subjected to even heat (even if it is alot more heat) it is unlikely to create small amounts of flexing within the BGA pad area to result in a disconnect (because it all flexes together). So for example even if a game makes the system much hotter the heat being dissipated could be realtivly even throughout the BGA and not causing acute flexing to occur, thus avioding a shutdown even if there is a crack in a solder joint somewhere.

As for shutting down in the menu it was doing that for me the first time i loaded it up, now after the quickfix it only does it in game. I believe if I continue the shutdowns will become more frequent and eventually it will start happening in the menu again because the flex in board will get greater and take less heat to cause a disconnect.

I used to fix ps3's on the side so am slightly more clued up than the average gamer, I dont claim to know it all, far from it infact. These are all mearly educated guesses.

Edit: Just realised SPU's are in the Cell and not RSX (considering the RSX is to blame which it usually is with PS3 faults). So my theorising in context is incorrect but the theory still stands.

Well, this is definitely the most constrictive hypothesis.  And it's certainly not implausible.  Kudos on you, sir! 

But it does get me wondering if localized heat is the problem, if there is some kind of modding that could be done (more ventilation?) or environment used (read it's cold outside) to try and at least curb it.  I'm not a genius when it comes to electronics or anything so I dunno what all could damage it with respect to potentially higher contrasts in temperature and all that kind of stuff.

As for the menus, I've actually never gotten a shutdown on the menu, only seen videos of it happening to others.  Also, thanks a ton for all the input, man

Anything that can draw heat away from the system will in theory help. Water cooling is the best solution, ive seen people do that for the PS3 although not economically sound, would be cheaper just to buy a new system. As for fan mods, I think its been proven 3rd party fan mods disrupt the cooling system already in place and make it less efficent.

Would be interesting to fit a heatsink/fan on the opposing side to the one already in place (which would draw heat away from the underside of the chip) It would mean removing the PSU/Blueray/Wifi/Bluetooth and having them outside the console...sounds messy.

They could create graphical options to reduce visual effects, etc.

cybizzorg

It's not the game.  It's your tv/internet/house/car/life/face/money, but it's DEF not the game.  3ARCH FORVER!

my ps3 is the same, ive concluded that its the game on the original, yesterday i played bf3 for around 11 hours yesterday and it played fine with no problems today i turn on my console and i play for around ten minutes and the ps3 shuts down, i dont even have to play just leave it in the menus and it dies, when i got hold of c.s the only advise they could give me was to upgrade my console or switch to xbox.

my ps3 is the same, ive concluded that its the game on the original, yesterday i played bf3 for around 11 hours yesterday and it played fine with no problems today i turn on my console and i play for around ten minutes and the ps3 shuts down, i dont even have to play just leave it in the menus and it dies, when i got hold of c.s the only advise they could give me was to upgrade my console or switch to xbox.