Man, what happened to you Treyarch? Black Ops 1 wasn't perfect, but it brought life back into the CoD franchise. So many opportunities to build off of and instead you followed right into the same path as Modern Warfare. I can only assume that your publisher (Activision) set the guidelines in front of you and you and your team of devs succumbed to the big money. That's understandable I guess, afterall, this is corporate America where everyone eventually sells out. It's just sad that there was once a time when the smaller companies ONLY cared about making good games. I guess that day is long gone. It's ok though, you keep this up and will just become another worn out franchise, eventually to be taken over by a new game that refreshes the gaming world. It's the circle of video game life I guess.
I see promise in this game, albeit very little... There's some great things to build off of. In case you are interested (which you most likely will not be), here it goes:
I'm probably beyond the age of your market demographic for this game. I am not the pre-pubescent stereotypical American child who suffers from ADHD, I'm a methodical gamer; some games I like to take my time and move throughout the map in a skillful manner. Some games I want to put pressure on the opposing team. I have a very basic K/D for my skill level, hovers around 2.0 (not in BO2!). I appreciate challenging games and very much welcome tough competition. Some of the people who play this game ARE amazing and I can appreciate learning from them. In this game, it's not possible to decipher who is good and who is not (aside from the kill cams I guess), because I am having so many lag problems I never get a chance to have as fair of a fight as possible.
Here are some Pros & Cons (just my opinion, but I did pay my $65, so I have the right to speak my voice too).
- Great Job with the Pick 10 system! I love the freedom it gives us to manipulate our loadouts to our own preference.
- Scorestreaks are great. Granted it's not perfect, but I like getting more points for doing things that benefit the team aside from just killing the opposition.
- Zombies is very unique and I really dig the Tranzit mode. Maps could be bigger, but for a first go on something new, it's nice. Hopefully the DLC content brings larger maps, provided I haven't traded this game on Craigslist for a pack of cigarettes by then,
- Grief mode is fun for a first time playlist. I would recommend throwing in other things that a team could use to indirectly effect the competition. Maybe a fart cloud that makes the opposing team dizzy??? Ok, no. But you catch my drift.
- By far the biggest con in this game is the lag issue I have been having. It really makes this game unplayable for me (and apparently a bunch others). I don't know if it's lag compensation (over-compensation more like) or it's just shoddy connections, but it is absolutely ridiculous. I pay a premium for the internet in my town, I should not have to downgrade it in order to be on par with the masses. No one should have to. This needs to be fixed because it is ultimately ruining the game for so many people. Don't want to beat a dead horse, but it's the truth.
-In my personal opinion, the maps are atrocious. I think you developers have forgotten the fundamental rule to map making. Symmetry and simplicity! Some of your greatest strengths in the first Black Ops came from wonderfully designed maps (IMHO). Maps like Firing Range, Jungle, Array; hell, even Summit , for me. These maps were simple, they had 3 main arteries to them and they weren't littered with clutter. The main arteries didn't interconnect for the most part, which in my opinion shouldn't be done. Spawn points weren't perfect, but it was the traditional one side or the other depending upon location of the enemies. IMO it was as good as you could have made it.
These maps are just disgusting. Clutter everywhere, way too many head glitch spots. More is not always better. These maps promote camping if anything. It almost seems like one of the devs brought in his autistic brother, you know, the kid who's "Rain Man" smart at Math, but still buys his underwear at Kmart... And said, "Have at it Jimmy!". That's what these maps look like to me.
-Now before I go into this, I want to address that I am not a Ghost whore, but in some games it is an absolute necessity. I utilize Ghost in matches where UAV's are being abused, in order to put some confusion into the attacking team. I utilize Ghost to flank the opposition. But I don't care what anyone says, there are times when you need to set up shop for awhile in one location. That is not camping, it's slowing down an aggressive attack. Ghost creates BALANCE. Now I don't mind having to run around all the time with it on, but it sucks that when I know three guys are in my vicinity I have to keep moving. Ghost does not enable campers, the abuse of red dot chasers and map clutter do.
For example, who seriously had issues with campers on BO1? Those kids that would sit in the corner of the trailer on Firing Range and wait for the unsuspecting gunman to enter. Ok, I saw where he was on my kill cam. I am going to walk to the outside of that corner of the trailer and fire into it... Voila! He's dead. Or... Toss a flashbang or concussion, enter, fire... Voila! Thing with this is that in the older maps, campers wouldn't last long, because there were only a select few buildings to camp in. In this game it's every fricken nook and cranny! And if there's one, there's two. Throw in another guy head glitching down an alley too. It's just annoying. It's not unattackable, but it is definitely worse now than ever before.
-These weapons have zero balance.
Anyway, these are my opinions and that is all. Others may disagree, that's ok. But for me, this game is just not good right now.