1 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next 139 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2012 12:52 PM by Dyn4mics Go to original post RSS
      • 50. Re: Changed xbox DNS settings and it fixed the lag issues completely.
        maccabi

MrxBurrito wrote:

Once again, please explain how exactly a change in dns servers reduces the amount of, "unwanted hops" like you call them.

wird how you keep going on about my use of the term hops like it doesnt exist..

http://i47.tinypic.com/ftfus8.jpg

• 51. Re: Changed xbox DNS settings and it fixed the lag issues completely.

Just grasping at straws at this point.

Changing your DNS servers won't change the number of hops you have to go through.

• 52. Re: Changed xbox DNS settings and it fixed the lag issues completely.

why didn't you  'tracert 209.123.109.175'

that result would be far more relevant?

• 54. Re: Changed xbox DNS settings and it fixed the lag issues completely.

maccabi wrote:

MrxBurrito wrote:

Once again, please explain how exactly a change in dns servers reduces the amount of, "unwanted hops" like you call them.

wird how you keep going on about my use of the term hops like it doesnt exist..

http://i47.tinypic.com/ftfus8.jpg

Well, the ban didn't take long. Now, to answer your question. That thing that you put in red there, about the 30 hops, it means that the aplication will limit your traceroute to 30 hops max. That is an option you can change to whatever number you want using the flag -h.  tracert -h 45 www.dslreports.com and it will go up to 45 hops max. It has nothing to do with the amount of hops registered. Once again you demonstrate that you have no idea about what you are talking. If is true that you work in a capacity of a network related position, i feel very very sorry for the company that hired you.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/sorryyouloseagain.jpg/][IMG=http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4958/sorryyouloseagain.jpg][/IMG][/URL]

• 55. Re: Changed xbox DNS settings and it fixed the lag issues completely.

Totally agree with what you are saying (MrxBurrito). I'm trying to think of a scenario where changing your DNS settings could reduce (or increase) the number of hops, and your mention of CDN's (content delivery networks) triggered a thought.

(Some good info on DNS and CDN's here)

Here's a scenario. I ping a hostname that uses CDN (eg. www.facebook.com) using my local Australian ISP DNS, which will resolve to the closest node/server for Facebook (according to the DNS).

Now, if I change my DNS to use Google's public DNS (8.8.8.8) - which is presumably in the United States (I could be wrong, but safe to say it isn't in Australia), and ping the same hostname (eg. www.facebook.com) then the Google DNS could potentially resolve to a different IP address which is physically closer to itself (ie. outside of Australia). I would therefore be connected to a different IP address, and would therefore be likely to take a different route/number of hops to reach it. (I did try testing this and got mixed results)

Now without knowing exactly what hostname(s) are used by Xbox live (or if they even use CDN's) when originally connecting it is impossible to reach a conclusion on this. The logic in this from my perspective still doesn't make alot of sense.. especially if my DNS sends me to a server that is geographically farther away which could potentially happen in my case by changing my DNS from a local AU one to to one located in the US. There are so many variables that could affect it it gives me a headache just thinking about it.

I'm still very skeptical that changing DNS could have any impact on lag at all, but with so many people saying it does, I'm quite curious as to how it could be possible.. There isn't alot of information about where the Xbox live servers are located, or what hostname(s) are used by our Xbox's to connect to Live - if we had this information we could really get some solid results.

• 56. Re: Changed xbox DNS settings and it fixed the lag issues completely.
                  maccabi

pete-ej25 wrote:

I'm still very skeptical that changing DNS could have any impact on lag at all, but with so many people saying it does, I'm quite curious as to how it could be possible.. There isn't alot of information about where the Xbox live servers are located, or what hostname(s) are used by our Xbox's to connect to Live - if we had this information we could really get some solid results.

You're looking at it the with the view of dns relating to websites/hostnames ect (the reason my two favourite detractors are jumping up and down thinking they scored a point). Which is silly think about it ...you dont join a game thats listed at www.joebloggsxbox.com do you. Domian names are for us mere humans, the interwebz likes things with nice ip addresses.

As i stated earlier the dns change will affect matchmaking , this in turn can place players in better quality sessions, better quality session = less issues (lag/lag comp) whatever. The matchmaking used by xbl for example iultilises a latency prediction system, it also is able to matchmaking via geolocation (albeit with issues which i highlighted to IW in mw3)

I can't go into too details about this as many know i dont/cant explain stuff thats "behind the curtain" and as a rule of thumb in all my years on the forums (but checked that everything im about to right is in the public domain already ) i never go into technobabble but try to explain things using the simpliest method possible, as with the upmost of respect to the good folks of the forum most wont have a clue what im on about half the time/.

But you're not far off in some your post as to the why it works . What you have to remember is without adding a dns address to your console the console will default to whatever the dns server your connection which is determined by your isp,depending on the time of day (peak times ect) their systems aren't always the fastest .The whole point of matchmaking is to find servers in the fastest (lowest ping) possible time .So the same princible that applies to web pages where people change there dns server in their OS to speed up web browsing applies albeit for different reasons.

Again cant really go into detail here, but xbl for example now uses a very advanced system for matchmaking its basically a massive database of ip address paired with geolocation data Developers can access this system and instruct it to matchmake off various different criteria ..mw3 for example used geolocation dta as the main wieghting . To give you an example of where dns comes into this equation using a different geolocation system (so i dont fall foul of the the behind the curtail rule theres a system called ip2geo (to clarify NOT the system xbl now uses) that extracts geolocation based off the dns names of nearby servers and nodes. in both systems all this data (and this now applies to xbl) is then "mapped" out using a hilberts curve which is a fancy way of determining regional distances between points which is needed for geolocational matchmaking or a latency prediction system.

• 57. Re: Changed xbox DNS settings and it fixed the lag issues completely.
                    Ss78_

RatedM wrote:

I put some grease on my ethernet cables cuz it I hear it maketh packets go ZOOM! Fixed everything. Woodysgamertag said so.

It's comments like that that make the tedious effort in reading these threads worthwhile. Now did he get that grease from behind the curtain or off the back of a truck?

• 58. Re: Changed xbox DNS settings and it fixed the lag issues completely.

If you are using a router, then wouldn't it be necessary to also put the (Open DNS, Google DNS, your ISP's DNS, whatever) into the router's DNS settings?

And, if you did.... would it not make more sense to set your Xbox 360's DNS to the IP of your router so that the router can handle the DNS searches? If you have BOTH set to the same DNS, then that would just be redundant. If you have the 360 set to whatever DNS (other than your Router IP address), but have your router set to a DIFFERENT DNS, then that would conflict, would it not?

I am by no means an expert on this, but this thread has made me interested again in this particular setting. I have no idea if the 360 uses the DNS beyond the router's "sight". It would be nice to know an answer to this.

• 59. Re: Changed xbox DNS settings and it fixed the lag issues completely.

MrxBurrito wrote:

I am not debating matchmaking, lag compensation or anything of that nature, I am correcting him where he is wrong by telling people that a DNS server will reduce the amount of hops from point a to point b.  That is completely wrong and unfortunately there is no data for him to say otherwise, hence the reason you see him threatning with bans, and completely ignoring what me and others are telling him. The simple fact that DNS has not effect on routing.

So then how are you helping?  The OP changed only his DNS and the problem was solved for him. So tell me how it doesn't effect routing if that is all that he did to his setup?  It obviously did "something"  and that is all that matters at this point.  You can come on here "trying" to prove Maccabi wrong or whatever, but you have yet to explain why OP somehow fixed his problem. 

1 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next