40 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2012 1:30 PM by JSlayer211 RSS

Why did everyone somehow expect 2 KDs at launch?

This just dawned on me. 

It seems a lot of people on here are stressed because they don't have the same KD as the last few games.  But wait.  Didn't you struggle just as much during the launch of each previous game?  I at least fondly remember sucking a bit because I WAS NOT USED TO IT.

I guess you could say this wasn't a copy and paste job then like most of you say it is.  Because everyone would be pulling 2 KDs and stuff right off the bat. 

Also.  Why do you care what your KD is?  Are you MLG? Do you make money from having a high KD? If not, then why waste the effort?  Just play to have fun!

• Re: Why did everyone somehow expect 2 KDs at launch?

LOL, even if it was MLG.... MLG has bugger all to do with KDR, they play for competition so they rarely have TDM in a gamemode of the 3 games they play..

its usually DOM, CTF, KC or SnD.

obzi

I only play TDM and use my K.D. as a rough guide to how well i'm doing, most of the time it's with randoms so anything else such as my win/loss is pretty much out of control.  I don't stress over any of this stuff because it's only a game, it's just a bit of fun.

This game so far has been controlled by lag anyway so all the stats pretty much meaningless.

obzi wrote:

I only play TDM and use my K.D. as a rough guide to how well i'm doing, most of the time it's with randoms so anything else such as my win/loss is pretty much out of control.  I don't stress over any of this stuff because it's only a game, it's just a bit of fun.

This game so far has been controlled by lag anyway so all the stats pretty much meaningless.

This.....

And I am happy with my average across every Call of Duty that I have played..... ~1.4

But..... since around the middle of MW3's cycle until 3 months before BO2, and from the launch of BO2 until this past Monday...... I have never had to quit as many matches in any other Call of Duty game due to the BS that has been happening in these two.

I can only wonder what it will be like tonight, since what I've been reading this morning is the servers were crashing earlier.

Message was edited by: wildgator25

I play solo and had a 2.5K/D but its slowly been going down as I seem to get more and more affected by lag for some wierd reason.

Seems the longer I play the worse it gets haha!! - not that fussed though

It seems to be a mathematical miracle that everyone has a positive k/d?????????

I just expected to kill someone at launch was that too much to ask? 

cwatz

KD's arent the only reason people are upset. 

Secondly, while many players stats will climb as they get more used to the game, many players are always at a similar range.  My kd for example always sat between 3 and 3.2 in BO.

Sledgehammer23248

my answer to the original post would be, you have so much more fun when your KDR is 2.0 and above as apposed to .5 and you go 2-30 every match... my kdr is fine at 1.45 as i still have fun with that, but my friends who i have played previous cods with have all below .5 when they have had typically above 1.0 in the past... they will be the ones who say it's no fun when you get destroyed every match because they waste an entire clip into someone and because of lag, the clip is wasted into a wall...

K/D will never get you chicks! (Well, maybe it will get you the chicks weighing over a deuce!)

codchamp

Why do some of us expect a high k/d? Very easy to explain. In all past COD games skill got you the stats. If you were a solo player the k/d meant the most. If you were a party player than the w/l meant more. If you were skillfull and partied up, then both stats were good.

This game means nothing to the skilled player. This game is based on connection and not skill.

Quickscoping has never been skill.

Running using a shotgun and blowing peoples nuts off around corners is not skill, you are getting a jump because of lag and using some of the most OP'd weapons in any cod game.

Running and gunning using a SMG with laser sight firing from the hip does not show skill. Either does halo jumping into a drop shot. Because of the lag 9 times out of 10 in any other cod game you would have been dead while trying this.

Shall i go on? The odor of the garbage that is this game is worse than a dumpster behind a chinese resturant. If any of you think this game is great and is the best FPS in the COD franchise then you need to go back to mario kart.

The answer is simple. Those that played past CoD's thought and expected that those skills and abilities would transfer directly to this game and nothing would change or have to be learned. When in reality they learned it did not work taht way they got upset since they were not the 'god of cod' like they thought they were.

As each year passes the so called veterans and 'gods of cod' are going to learn they are not longer as good as they think they should be. That newer younger players will have faster reflexes, better timing, and be able to out play them. That all their hard earned knowledge means nothing in a new game. Expereience can only get you so far, the rest comes from actual physical abilites, such as reflexes and hand eye coordination and that degrades slowly over time as you get older, and nothing done can prevent it.

But many of the players that have been playing since the first ones simoly refuse to accept that they are nolonger as good as they once were and this is why they are doing worse and not always because of lag or lag comp or the person cheated or hacked or modded like so many like to claim.

Just people like to have a reason to blame other then themselves for failing and doing worse than they inittially expected.

I didn't want to be as blunt but that is pretty much what I was thinking the whole time.

I would agree to that statement if the time between playing the games were years apart but there has been a steady release of this game every year  for about 5 or 6 years. Most players then would assume if they played all the cods till now their skills would stay in check. There is a direct correlation, speciffically with BO2, that almost all of the people i play with have had their k/ds in this game look as if they never played any game in the series ever before, including myself and its because of the same reason. They definitly messed with the lag and how it works. My relflexes hadnt diminshed over night and neither have theirs. If i'm playing in 10-15 years i'd believe your older gamer/reflex theory, but not now. Im mid 20s also so i dont what age group you are talking about.

If the game was working and the stats were falling out where they were then I would tend to agree with you. 

The problem is that game is not working.  When I say that I mean it is not an even playing field for all participants. 

1) Fix the matchmaking

2) fix the remaining lag issues

3) fix the SMGs

4) make sure all the DLC maps are huge

The one issue that cannot be fixed is spawn killin unless they are going to scrap 90% of the maps. 

I have always been opposed to spawn killing as it is a pretty cheap tatic.  However, it is a kill or be killed game and it is going to happen.  You just have to hope you can put yourself in a situation where you can at least get them as many times as they are going to get you. 

Have you spawned 5 times in a row in front of the same player that was head glitching behind a wall?  I have on several occasions.  Its hard to say you are a contributing member to the team if you go -10 match after match because you are spawn killed 5-8 times a game. 

Have you ever spawned into a game of HC CTF on Hijacked mid game?  If you choose a weapon you will die for the rest of the match each and every time you spawn there will be someone firing or there will be a guardian.  The most you can hope for is that the game is almost over. 

Who really wants to play their FPS like this?  The maps are set up for exactly this type of play.   People like to control the maps and this is the only way you can control them. 

k/d is not the end all be all.  This is just a game.  However, a low k/d in a game of TDM means you were dragging down your team.  If you are doing other stuff (sitting on objectives in objective gamemodes) than its a different story.

Noob_Lyncher

No one really cares about being "MLG" anymore, because most of those guys just spawn kill in CTF with Guardians to boost up their K/D rather than actually running around shooting people in this game. And everyone was hoping for a 2.00 K/D because they thought that since MW3 screwed up with lag comp, Treyarch wouldn't make that same mistake, let alone go backwards and make it worse.

Your stats are an indicator of how well you do in a game. Whenever I get someone with under a 1.00 K/D on my team, he usually goes super negative and feeds the enemy killstreaks. I'd rather have a random who's good and just goes for kills, rather than a guy who just blindly rushes a flag and dies every time.

I agree, K/Ds are down (a good thing) because this wasn't a copy and paste job of a game. If I have a K/D of 3.0 in MW3, there isn't any possible way I should think my K/D in Black Ops 2 should be 3.0. That doesn't make sense. Different game, maps, weapons, players, tactics, connection, etc. Everything contributes to the deviation.

There are a few other factors as well that I'll throw out there.

Killstreaks, for one. Killstreaks were often a way to get really high K/Ds. You camp, get 5-7 kills, then pound your enemy with a chopper for 20+ more kills. In this game, the scorestreaks make it a little harder to get the higher streaks. In addition, once those streaks are earned, the opponents are able to take them down a little easier. Thus, K/Ds aren't really being "boosted" as they were before. Kills by the gamer are more important and more valuable now. Hiding somewhere and letting a helo do all the work is a thing of the past.

The other reason, I believe, is because the map sizes are small. Smaller maps equate to more action, and more deaths. In some ways this enhances the experience, but could be problematic and frustrating for someone who is not used to that kind of style. Because of these small maps, spawns aren't very good either, which cause headaches for those who had a good streak going.

There you go, just my two cents on the topic.

Having  a super hig K/D doesn't mean a whole lot to me. As long as it's above 1.0 I am content. I actually hold a much higher K/D than in any previous titles. I will lay that one on Nuketown 24/7 the first weekend of release though. Without that I would be right where I always am. Which is fine by me.

Hat I find most hilarious is how every single person who plays has "a 3.0 kdr dude!" But not everyone is dominant at this game. 14 million people have 3.0 kdr...so who is loosing ever lmao?

For clarification my kdr is 1.5 and I do work in FFA and kill confirmed.

My friend said I got around 1.4 K/D (haven't checked it myself). But I'm quite happy with number that's over 1. Means I am pulling my weight in TDM which I play the most, because I am noob like that.

I play to have fun, when I stop having fun, I stop. So I am really a casual player when it comes to these games, plus I don't usualy play that many games at once.

So yeah. Play for fun, don't even look at your combat records. You'll have bit more fun, unless you are obsessed with numbers, like Mason.

codchamp

because i am getting older my reflexes are getting slower and my eyesight is going.

I played MW3 and halo 4 yesterday. Raped face all night in both games. Tried black ops 2 for a hour or so and couldnt compete because of 3 yellow bar laggy connection....no my old ass is just fine

Well you have to identify the two types of players. You have the players who don't really care what their K/D is and how well they do and just want to have fun, which is fine of course. But then you have the other group of players like me who may be classified as "Try-hards". Every game I play, I play to win, to be the best and K/D is a good way of telling a players skill in that regard. My point is, some people are competitive and actually want to do well.

vims1990

It seems a lot of people on here are stressed because they don't have the same KD as the last few games.  But wait.  Didn't you struggle just as much during the launch of each previous game?

Thanks for bringing this up.

I agree. With any COD launch, K/D's are generally low until players get familiar with the game, experiment with different setups, weapons & connection/matchmaking isn't at it's best until the devs start tweaking/improving it.

I know there are many players who obsess over their K/D like it's the end of the world if they don't maintain that "important" K/D ratio. It's time for them to get back to reality and realise that no one really cares about their K/D.

Play to have fun & experiment with the Pick 10 system, don't worry about how low your K/D is at the moment compared to previous COD games.

Because K/D cooresponds with how fun of a game you have. If your K/D is 3 or 4, most of your games you are going 25/4, 13/1, 20/7, etc. Having really good games and having fun. If your K/D is .5, then most of your games are going 3/14, 6/19, 10/20 IOW having bad games where you die very often.

The reason people expect high K/Ds coming in is they know the mechanics of the game series, are familiar with the many aspects. We know common strategies and their counters, common class types and their counters, like the back of our hand. There are many universal things that apply to all the CoD series' MP, and while I will quickly admit that knowing the maps is a big help in how you play, it doesn't account for it all.

Some of the best anecdotes I hear is playing Blops1 for a few hours, averaging the high K/Ds, calling in top killstreaks, slaughtering everyone and having a blast. Then, same day, same internet connection, same Xbox and everything, they go to Blops2 then somehow they magically become a noob and get crushed game after game, not able to string more than 2 kills together, getting killed by BS lag encounters, getting killed within seconds of spawning, and getting shot in the back by someone they killed seconds ago.

I guess you could say this wasn't a copy and paste job then like most of you say it is.  Because everyone would be pulling 2 KDs and stuff right off the bat.

No, its simply many connection and game design issues that have changed. The core mechanics, look and feel of the game is essentially the same. The matchmaking, "lag comp" problems, and spawning is what is turning great high-K/D players into looking like clueless noobs overnight.

JSlayer211

Why do you care what they care about? I get so irritated with someone thinking their pov is so much greater than others because they just simply don't agree or understand it. If someone strives for a high K/D, that is their own personal goal. Instead of establishing your own goals you worry about theirs. If someone wants to increase their K/D and it's an important topic to them, who are you to say anything about it?

I'm so tired of all of the people on this forum staring down their noses at each other like they have the answers to all of gaming whether it be which playstyle is valid, k/d, or etc. If the motto is "have fun" then let them attempt to have fun in the best way they know how. Fun for me may not be fun for you, accept it and let it go.